PlayStation Based Arcade Hardware

Kannibal

PlayStation Based Arcade Hardware

Unread post by Kannibal »

So with the PSX core performing well and still receiving work in the way of further accuracy and enhancements from FPGAzumSpass, I've been checking out games I was previously too skeptical about putting the time into. Mostly been enjoying the fighting games that were ported or developed for the PS1. Something I've always wondered was if the MiSTer would be able to run boards like Namco System 12 for games like Fighting Layer EX or Soul Calibur.

Here's a link to more information. Scroll down until you find Sony PlayStation and look at what arcade boards are based on it.

https://www.system16.com/base.php
muteki

Re: PlayStation Based Arcade Hardware

Unread post by muteki »

I hope FPGAzumSpass' PSX core is a good starting point for many of those arcade platforms and that someone cares to work on them. There are some really interesting titles there: Tetris the Grand Master (ZN-2), Psyvariar and RayCrisis (G-NET), Tekken...
Chol

Unread post by Chol »

For Tetris there is a ROM hack for running this on a PlayStation: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5607/
I expect that using existing patches is a smaller effort than making a MiSTer core for each PlayStation-based arcade hardware.
Kannibal

Unread post by Kannibal »

Chol wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:28 pm For Tetris there is a ROM hack for running this on a PlayStation: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5607/
I expect that using existing patches is a smaller effort than making a MiSTer core for each PlayStation-based arcade hardware.
This is quite an interesting proposal. If the PlayStation has no problem running several of these games by way of patches, I would love to see that solution used for these games instead to cut down on the arcade ROM listing.
KremlingKuthroat19

Unread post by KremlingKuthroat19 »

I'm not a fan of using hacks for a hardware preservation project. Using hacks is a shortcut and one that I don't think sets a good precedent. Someone will eventually work on PSX-based boards one day and probably ST-V one day. Can we please just be a little more patient as opposed to a half-baked solution of using hacks? We have thousands of games to play. The PSX core just came out this year and it's still a WIP, albeit a very complete WIP. I'd rather have fully accurate PSX boards than sloppily created ROM hacks. Plus these boards aren't 1 to 1 with PSX hardware so even if you did get a lot of ports, it'll still be missing features/accuracy from the original board.

Sorry if it's an unpopular opinion, but maybe I should clarify by saying I'm fine with using ROM hacks if they are a supplement to the PSX core, not a replacement for developing these boards one day.
Neocaron

Unread post by Neocaron »

KremlingKuthroat19 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:24 pm I'm not a fan of using hacks for a hardware preservation project. Using hacks is a shortcut and one that I don't think sets a good precedent. Someone will eventually work on PSX-based boards one day and probably ST-V one day. Can we please just be a little more patient as opposed to a half-baked solution of using hacks? We have thousands of games to play. The PSX core just came out this year and it's still a WIP, albeit a very complete WIP. I'd rather have fully accurate PSX boards than sloppily created ROM hacks. Plus these boards aren't 1 to 1 with PSX hardware so even if you did get a lot of ports, it'll still be missing features/accuracy from the original board.

Sorry if it's an unpopular opinion, but maybe I should clarify by saying I'm fine with using ROM hacks if they are a supplement to the PSX core, not a replacement for developing these boards one day.
The take away here is that you can have both, so why not. That's my take anyway.
KremlingKuthroat19

Unread post by KremlingKuthroat19 »

Neocaron wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:09 pm
KremlingKuthroat19 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:24 pm I'm not a fan of using hacks for a hardware preservation project. Using hacks is a shortcut and one that I don't think sets a good precedent. Someone will eventually work on PSX-based boards one day and probably ST-V one day. Can we please just be a little more patient as opposed to a half-baked solution of using hacks? We have thousands of games to play. The PSX core just came out this year and it's still a WIP, albeit a very complete WIP. I'd rather have fully accurate PSX boards than sloppily created ROM hacks. Plus these boards aren't 1 to 1 with PSX hardware so even if you did get a lot of ports, it'll still be missing features/accuracy from the original board.

The take away here is that you can have both, so why not. That's my take anyway.
Exactly. Glad we're in agreement. A good example of this is the Nintendo VS. System. There are a few VS System ROM hacks that have been ported to the NES and you can play them on the NES core, but not all of them work properly and it's kinda a crap shoot outside of the popular games like VS. Super Mario Bros. and such, meaning that it'd be beneficial if someone made a VS. System core one day. That system has unique versions of NES games like VS. Duck Hunt allows you to shoot the dog and VS. Wrecking Crew has simultaneous 2P.

I draw the line on arcade-based cores on stuff like the Mega Play which is just an arcade Mega Drive with no exclusive games/features so playing those games on the Mega Drive core is sufficient and creating a core would create too many useless MRA files. Same with the Nintendo Super System and the Playchoice-10 for example.