blackwine's Sega System 2 implementations

Blamo

blackwine's Sega System 2 implementations

Unread post by Blamo »

While looking for those Neo Geo MRA files I noticed that blackwine had already implemented most System 2 games. He even has a fork of the main System 1 repository with all of his work integrated:

https://github.com/blackwine/Arcade-SEGASYS1_MiSTer

Since this seems to have been done about 7 months ago I'm wondering why this hasn't been integrated into main. Are they still heavily works in progress that aren't ready for release? Are they unofficial cores that will never be implemented into main and if so, is there a list of unofficial cores out there that can be used for reference since this seems to have gone under a lot of people's radar.
Stinky

Re: blackwine's Sega System 2 implementations

Unread post by Stinky »

Seconded, it would be nice to have WBML officially...
ChloeIsFab

Unread post by ChloeIsFab »

Thirded :) my favourite arcade machine of all time
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I think he wants to add some stuff to it but as it is at the moment it is working properly. It is a shame it is not in the official repo because if you use the new downloader it will revert to the official distribution.
Hodor

Unread post by Hodor »

jca wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:11 pm I think he wants to add some stuff to it but as it is at the moment it is working properly. It is a shame it is not in the official repo because if you use the new downloader it will revert to the official distribution.
There is a little trick to avoid that: rename the unofficial rbf and edit the mras pointing to the new core name. Even you can create a new folder and drop the Blackwine´s specific mras into it.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

You are correct, until now I was using the old updater but now I am switching to the new downloader and it was my intention to do what you just described.
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alkadian »

Hodor wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:15 pm
jca wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:11 pm I think he wants to add some stuff to it but as it is at the moment it is working properly. It is a shame it is not in the official repo because if you use the new downloader it will revert to the official distribution.
There is a little trick to avoid that: rename the unofficial rbf and edit the mras pointing to the new core name. Even you can create a new folder and drop the Blackwine´s specific mras into it.
Excellent trick! Thanks!
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Hodor wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:15 pm There is a little trick to avoid that: rename the unofficial rbf and edit the mras pointing to the new core name. Even you can create a new folder and drop the Blackwine´s specific mras into it.
...or just create an exception in your downloader.ini:

Code: Select all

[mister]
filter = !arcade-segasys1
This way, the update script will ignore the specific core and .mras, and won't overwrite download* what's inside the official repo alongside Blackwine's implementation from 1/9/2021.

*First time you run the update script after editing in the exception tag in the .ini, it might wipe everything related to SEGASYS1. Just put Blackwine's files back in, and they'll be subsequently left alone.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Better make a note of it so when a new official version comes you don't forget to remove the filter.
Hodor

Unread post by Hodor »

lamarax wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:49 pm
Hodor wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:15 pm There is a little trick to avoid that: rename the unofficial rbf and edit the mras pointing to the new core name. Even you can create a new folder and drop the Blackwine´s specific mras into it.

[mister]
This way, the update script will ignore the specific core and .mras, and won't overwrite download* what's inside the official repo alongside Blackwine's implementation from 1/9/2021.

*First time you run the update script after editing in the exception tag in the .ini, it might wipe everything related to SEGASYS1. Just put Blackwine's files back in, and they'll be subsequently left alone.
That´s even better, indeed.
Alkadian
Top Contributor

lamarax wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:49 pm

[mister]

Thanks, that worked even better indeed!
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

He updated us on discord publicly back on at the beginning of March that he noticed a regression in Pitfall, and he wants to fix that before merging into the main repo.
birdybro~
Alkadian
Top Contributor

aberu wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:27 pm He updated us on discord publicly back on at the beginning of March that he noticed a regression in Pitfall, and he wants to fix that before merging into the main repo.
Great thanks for the heads-up!
TigerX2711

Unread post by TigerX2711 »

Does anyone know any news about Sega System 2 in the main repository?

Goemon

Unread post by Goemon »

Does anyone know why the update_all script doesn’t get all the System 2 games?

I have Wonderboy and Wonderboy III in the list but Choplifter, DakkoChan House, Toki no Senshi - Chrono Soldier and Ufo Senshi Yohko Chan are missing.

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

It is not an official core. More exactly it is a fork of the official Sega SYS1 core and was supposed to become official. There are still some bugs and BlackWine seems to have disappeared from the face of this earth.
It is still possible to use it but you have to do some magic as update all will always reinstall the official core.

aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

He said he was working on fixing a few bugs that came up as a result of this. From what I remember, the changes in this fork caused some of the current core's supported games to not work anymore and he was working on that still.

birdybro~
taz07rx

Unread post by taz07rx »

blackwine was doing great stuff with neogeo mvs arcade and sega sys1...it is a shame it was not officialy integrated to main because now there is a gap between these old cores and the framework...

Mr. Encyclopedia

Unread post by Mr. Encyclopedia »

I'd be cool if these were at least added to the "unofficial cores" list that update_all can pull from.

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

It is not as simple as it seems. The core was supposed to be an update to the official core and thus as the same name as the official one. As it also has some bugs it cannot replace the official one. On my system I renamed the BlackWine core to something else, I downloaded only the mras which are not in the official distribution and changed the rbf name in each of these mras. This allow to avoid an overlap of the 2 cores but it has to be done manually. I may post a zip containing what is necessary.

TigerX2711

Unread post by TigerX2711 »

Yesterday I put it manually. I'll end up using it for Wonder Boy in Monster Land and maybe Chop Lifter renaming it as you suggest, so it can load these two games and have the official core at the same time. I'll give it a try like this.

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Here it is:
Preserves the official distribution.
Add 9 mras and alternatives exclusive to the BlackWine core.
As it is not official you will have to manually download the ROMs (MAME merged), list in the zip.

Attachments
BWSEGASYS1_20210901.zip
(1.22 MiB) Downloaded 282 times
Lloyd2084

Unread post by Lloyd2084 »

This was really useful, thank you.

I’d been struggling to understand why Choplifter had stopped working but now it’s up and running again!