Does the Saturn video output support a component cable?

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
folderwin

Does the Saturn video output support a component cable?

Unread post by folderwin »

I've already tried with a couple of component cables, I can't output video, or one color, or just interference.

twonunpackmule

Re: Does the Saturn video output support a component cable?

Unread post by twonunpackmule »

I think it only supports RGB. If you want component you'll need to get the HD Retrovision cables, or a cable that converts the signal to Component.

Stupid Dufus

Unread post by Stupid Dufus »

Talking about the actual Saturn console? If so, it does composite, s-video and RGB.

If you're talking about the Saturn core on MiSTer, then I would assume it can do component if you have your mister.ini file set correctly.

folderwin

Stupid Dufus wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:56 pm

Talking about the actual Saturn console? If so, it does composite, s-video and RGB.

If you're talking about the Saturn core on MiSTer, then I would assume it can do component if you have your mister.ini file set correctly.

We are talking about Mister Saturn. I wanted to connect MISTER to the component output of my TV, but mister never gave out a picture, although there is a component mode on the switches, but it only has a green color but in high resolution.

folderwin

What kind of converters are we talking about? From HDMI to component?

Stupid Dufus

Unread post by Stupid Dufus »

Depending on whether you're trying to use the HDMI port (direct video) or the analog io board, the instructions differ a bit.

You'll need to edit your mister.ini.

Here's a guide on using the direct video functionality (pushing analog video over the HDMI port. You'll want the YPbPr (component) section, but it's a good idea to read through most of that page.
https://mister-devel.github.io/MkDocs_M ... rectvideo/

This also has a little more information:
https://mister-devel.github.io/MkDocs_M ... o-settings

Here's a video showing how to set it up using the analog IO board if that's what you want to do:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sSDPEHXDVQ

mattsoft

Unread post by mattsoft »

folderwin wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 3:54 pm

We are talking about Mister Saturn. I wanted to connect MISTER to the component output of my TV, but mister never gave out a picture, although there is a component mode on the switches, but it only has a green color but in high resolution.

The Saturn core provides analog video out if using the analog board. I have a DE15 to component breakout cable connected to the DE15 (VGA) port on the analog board and the Saturn core works fine on my Sony TV with component input. The image is shifted to the left which is strange -- all other cores are more or less centered -- but figure it will eventually get fixed.

folderwin

mattsoft wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:32 pm

The Saturn core provides analog video out if using the analog board. I have a DE15 to component breakout cable connected to the DE15 (VGA) port on the analog board and the Saturn core works fine on my Sony TV with component input. The image is shifted to the left which is strange -- all other cores are more or less centered -- but figure it will eventually get fixed.

I even have the menu displayed incorrectly . The resolution is high but the color is only green

mattsoft

Unread post by mattsoft »

folderwin wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 6:13 pm
mattsoft wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:32 pm

I even have the menu displayed incorrectly . The resolution is high but the color is only green

And you have "ypbpr=1" in the mister.ini file? Maybe the breakout cable you're using is not wired correctly. I'm using this one from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001T6OHNU

prenetic

Unread post by prenetic »

Depending on whether OP has updated recently, the ypbpr option was deprecated and merged into a new setting called vga_mode. In this case they'd want to specify vga_mode=ypbpr in their config (and make sure they're changing the correct config profile, if they use multiple):

Code: Select all

;ypbpr=0               ; set to 1 for YPbPr on VGA output. (obsolete. see vga_mode)
vga_mode=rgb           ; supported modes: rgb, ypbpr, svideo, cvbs. rgb is default.
folderwin

thanks for the answers, it turned out to be configured, but unfortunately, in addition to games from computers and ps1, it is not possible to play, too clear, too bright colors, it is better to stop on s-video, oetimal result