AmigaVision/MegaAGS 2023.04.05 Released!

hitm4n

Re: AmigaVision/MegaAGS 2023.04.05 Released!

Unread post by hitm4n »

OK. Game list requests uploaded to Github. Post #100 :) That means something right :)
Seen your PM, moving chat elsewhere... Thanks.

Also, i have this week off and tomorrow i could plough through a ton of these once i get going...

Yop

Unread post by Yop »

i tried first an old 2022 MegaAGS version and found AmigaVision 2023.04.05 last week... Wow! What an amazing improvement and incredible job!!!
In 2 words : THANK YOU!!!

I'm not very used to Amiga but I wish to watch demos downloaded from demozoo. They come in several formats and I'm not very sure what core to use? 500, 500HD, 600HD? How make them available in the HDD? Is there a tutorial somewhere?

May be a ready-made AmigaVision VHD dedicated to the demoscene, ordered by year, competition, group, author and title, with description/biography? ;) ;) ;)

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

Yop wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:18 pm

I'm not very used to Amiga but I wish to watch demos downloaded from demozoo. They come in several formats and I'm not very sure what core to use? 500, 500HD, 600HD?

This is generally what the Amiga 500 core configuration is for. Some demos will require other setups, but start with the Amiga 500 setup with ADF files.

How make them available in the HDD? Is there a tutorial somewhere?

If they are trackloaders (which a majority of them probably are), you can’t do that unless you write a WHDL container, which isn’t trivial.

Optiroc

Unread post by Optiroc »

Yop wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:18 pm

i tried first an old 2022 MegaAGS version and found AmigaVision 2023.04.05 last week... Wow! What an amazing improvement and incredible job!!!
In 2 words : THANK YOU!!!

In addition to what limi said it can be noted that you might find it hard to find ADF rips of demos on the common demo scene sites (pouet, kestra, demozoo). Rather, there you often find the format of the original release which for trackloaded/NDOS disks often is DMS. These can be converted to ADF using xdms, or you can track down the TOSEC archive which contain ADFs of mostly anything you’ll want.

Yop

Unread post by Yop »

Optiroc wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 5:49 pm

you might find it hard to find ADF rips of demos on the common demo scene sites (pouet, kestra, demozoo). Rather, there you often find the format of the original release which for trackloaded/NDOS disks often is DMS.

indeed and DMS isn't the most common.

These can be converted to ADF using xdms

I found it for my distro, thanks :)

you can track down the TOSEC archive which contain ADFs of mostly anything you’ll want.

I'm not very good at digging in the Archive. What I find is rather old (nineties) when I wish to watch demos from this year ;)

rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

Not sure if it's been brought up yet, but in addition to the handful of virii on the main MegaAGS release (not counting the ones that are part of the WHDLoad collection)...ironically (since HNY96 requires 2.0+), several of the files on the bonus 1.3 hard drive image are also infected (and cannot be cleaned without damaging them).

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

It has been discussed before (earlier in this thread, as well as a separate thread about the is_mister problem), and to sum up: We can’t control the general appearance of viruses in WHDLoad containers, but luckily they cannot escape those containers:

https://amiga.vision/docs#should-i-worr ... ga-viruses

As far as the is_mister binary being infected with the HNY96 virus (a harmless “joke virus”, see the earlier posts for explanation around this), we are responsible for shipping that file. Again, the virus doesn’t do anything bad, but that one did slip through the cracks and annoyingly breaks the is_mister binary when you try to clean it, hence why we recommended just leaving it in place for now when it was originally reported.

Finally, neither the A600HD or A500HD configurations that are generated actually run the is_mister binary (the user-startup even says that it’s commented out because of the virus), so the joke virus shouldn’t get activated on these, although the file is still included on the file system, and is infected. (As an additional side note: the virus also cannot jump between running different configurations of the Amiga core, as it can’t stay resident in memory)

We have since written a new binary — ags-uname — as part of the work of detecting the difference between the MiSTer, Analogue Pocket and emulators vs. real hardware, so even the is_mister binary is gone from the upcoming release that is hopefully days away.

Pokkai

Unread post by Pokkai »

This is a quality project and release, which was really easy to setup on my MiSTer, thank you all involved.

Just a quick query I'm trying to setup in FS-UAE, but your documentation refers to a 'MegaAGS.fs-uae' file to double-click, where is this? I cannot find it in your download?

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

Pokkai wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:59 am

Just a quick query I'm trying to setup in FS-UAE, but your documentation refers to a 'MegaAGS.fs-uae' file to double-click, where is this? I cannot find it in your download?

Docs are a little ahead of the release, sorry about that! It will be included in the upcoming version that will be out shortly. Download this in the meantime and put it in the same directory as the HDF:

https://github.com/amigavision/AmigaVis ... AGS.fs-uae

Pokkai

Unread post by Pokkai »

limi wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:21 am
Pokkai wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:59 am

Docs are a little ahead of the release, sorry about that! It will be included in the upcoming version that will be out shortly. Download this in the meantime and put it in the same directory as the HDF:

https://github.com/amigavision/AmigaVis ... AGS.fs-uae

Thanks, maybe worth linking out to the FS-UAE to help with tailoring the config settings for those not familiar.

https://fs-uae.net/video-options

StalkS

Unread post by StalkS »

Hi All, Has anyone had any joy running MegaAGS Via RetroNAS (SMB/CIFS)? I can get the menu selection screen to appear and browse the games/demos but when I go to run anything I briefly see 'echo: unable to open redirection file' 'echo failed return code 10' on the workbench screen and it just flicks back to the menu selection. I'm thinking a maybe a 'read/write' permission to the megaAGS.hdf?

I appreciate it running a large drive image from a NAS may also be the issue - but I am curious if anyone else has run into the issue?

Thanks in advance for any replies. :)

Optiroc

Unread post by Optiroc »

StalkS wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:56 pm

Hi All, Has anyone had any joy running MegaAGS Via RetroNAS (SMB/CIFS)? I can get the menu selection screen to appear and browse the games/demos but when I go to run anything I briefly see 'echo: unable to open redirection file' 'echo failed return code 10' on the workbench screen and it just flicks back to the menu selection. I'm thinking a maybe a 'read/write' permission to the megaAGS.hdf?

I appreciate it running a large drive image from a NAS may also be the issue - but I am curious if anyone else has run into the issue?

Thanks in advance for any replies. :)

To support the Super Attract Mode and tty2oled integrations the launcher writes to the file ags_current on the shared drive (games/amiga/shared). My hunch is that that write fails.

Try commenting out this line (prepend with semicolon) in DH0:S/ags-notify
echo <TITLE> >MiSTer:ags_current

I suppose this write could be opt-out (or opt-in, even).

StalkS

Unread post by StalkS »

Optiroc wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:31 pm

To support the Super Attract Mode and tty2oled integrations the launcher writes to the file ags_current on the shared drive (games/amiga/shared). My hunch is that that write fails.

Try commenting out this line (prepend with semicolon) in DH0:S/ags-notify
echo <TITLE> >MiSTer:ags_current

I suppose this write could be opt-out (or opt-in, even).

Thank you very much! That fixed it! :D

moonscience

Unread post by moonscience »

OK, sorry to be THAT GUY, but I can't seem to find the AmigaVision/MegaAGS file as shown in a number of the videos. I've downloaded a folder called AmigaVision-Master off GitHub but that doesn't contain the same directories that are described in the documentation (IE , so I suspect it is the wrong file.) After watching a few videos I suspect that this could easily be found on archive.org, but has recently been removed.

lagerfeldt

Unread post by lagerfeldt »

Patron of MiSTer + theypsilon + Jotego Team + Coin-Op Collection + Pierco + Nullobject

MiSTer RePlay website

Ultimate SID Collection website