Wishlist of Cores You Would Like to See in the Future

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
offset

Re: Wishlist of Cores You Would Like to See in the Future

Unread post by offset »

Lex wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:52 pm

... To implement all this into a complex programming language and "transform" it into FPGA - at least as I understand it is incredible. No wonder cores cannot be perfect...

Yeah, FPGA stuff fascinates me, I have minimal electronics knowledge and would love to attempt to learn more about FGPA programming but there is a steep learning curve and doesn't seem to be a lot of resources out there to learn.

Theohuber

Unread post by Theohuber »

Alkadian wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:10 pm
wark91 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:33 pm

Namco Museum series on PS1 is great to play plenty of Namco Arcade not available in MiSTer for the moment.

Super! Many thanks for that. I have just tried Rolling Thunder as it is part of the last series called Namco Museum Encore. I must admit that I do love the NES version, it is awesome (and easier ...lol...)! I have fond memories of this game!

I have also played Rolling Thunder in the Namco Museum Encore Version and I must say that it lags and runs not as smooth as the original one. So let’s vote for a real conversion from the pcb board.

remvel

Unread post by remvel »

Knucle joe
Rainbown Island
Rabit pouch
City Connection
Snow bros
Tumblepop
Raiden
Cabal

Captain FPGA

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

3DO

it still has my preferred port of SSF2T with only the 3do version retaining shadows during the sunburst

Dreams don't die!
Trashman

Unread post by Trashman »

Hello all! Got into MiSTer maybe 18 months ago and discovered this thread. Always found it interesting so I decided to compile all the requests into a spreadsheet. Big thanks to moondandy for his help; I did a quick comparison on some pages against his list.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Still a work in progress and there's some overlap; if you have any suggestions let me know. I'm split on if I want to break down the specific board requests into all their games. Over 30 requested cores have been completed at this point and 100 more are works in progress.

The most wishlisted cores at this time are:

3DO - 14 mentions
Mortal Kombat - 11 mentions
Apple IIgs / Atari Jaguar / The Simpsons - 10 mentions

Lightwave

Unread post by Lightwave »

Trashman wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:10 pm

Hello all! Got into MiSTer maybe 18 months ago and discovered this thread. Always found it interesting so I decided to compile all the requests into a spreadsheet. Big thanks to moondandy for his help; I did a quick comparison on some pages against his list.

Still a work in progress and there's some overlap; if you have any suggestions let me know. I'm split on if I want to break down the specific board requests into all their games. Over 30 requested cores have been completed at this point and 100 more are works in progress.

3DO - 14 mentions

Nice list, good idea.

I suggest colouring the completed cores in green (and maybe WIP in yellow?); it would make it much easier to parse visually.

KremlingKuthroat19

Unread post by KremlingKuthroat19 »

Trashman wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:10 pm

3DO - 14 mentions

Jotego has an MK board and has called "dibs" on it, yet it's been on the backburner for like 3 years. It's time MK was set free.

For all those who claim "those console cores would be a waste of time" the 3DO and Jag fanbase has spoken :)

Trashman

Lightwave wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:29 am

Nice list, good idea.

I suggest colouring the completed cores in green (and maybe WIP in yellow?); it would make it much easier to parse visually.

I did that for the Arcade Core list. The 'All Other Core' list already had something like that in place.

KremlingKuthroat19 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:20 pm

Jotego has an MK board and has called "dibs" on it, yet it's been on the backburner for like 3 years. It's time MK was set free.

For all those who claim "those console cores would be a waste of time" the 3DO and Jag fanbase has spoken :)

Is there a way to know how long something has been in limbo? A large % of the WIP cores are 'Jotego WIP' but I have no insight into when they were announced or how far along they are.

Lightwave

Unread post by Lightwave »

Trashman wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:12 pm
Lightwave wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:29 am

Nice list, good idea.

I did that for the Arcade Core list. The 'All Other Core' list already had something like that in place.

Great, looks good.

Just a couple corrections:

Battlezone is actually WIP, thread here:
viewtopic.php?t=2102

Wonderboy in Monsterland is working but still technically WIP rather than done (it hasn't been added to main so won't be grabbed via update; also Blackwine has mentioned there are a few more fixes needed for the core)

The only other thing I might suggest for your list is to have a name attached to the WIP cores, to give a sense of which developers are overcommitted and set people's expectations accordingly.

Trashman

Lightwave wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:29 am

Great, looks good.

Just a couple corrections:

Battlezone is actually WIP, thread here:
viewtopic.php?t=2102

Wonderboy in Monsterland is working but still technically WIP rather than done (it hasn't been added to main so won't be grabbed via update; also Blackwine has mentioned there are a few more fixes needed for the core)

The only other thing I might suggest for your list is to have a name attached to the WIP cores, to give a sense of which developers are overcommitted and set people's expectations accordingly.

Is the best way to find the associated name(s) attached to a core to look through the threads on this board? I'm thinking that combo'd with digging through github repositories is likely the only way to get an accurate picture; I don't know how else to determine a core's status and I don't follow dev twitter posts. My other thought was to go on the MiSTer Discord and pick the brains of the people to get an idea of where things stand.

bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

I haven't read the entire thread, so someone may have already suggested this. but in true, paradox, bill 'n' ted, russian doll styley, maybe a de10nano core would be good.. then you could run it on the de10nano and on that core you could run mister cores.. a core within a core within a core.. :lol:

The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
Lex

Unread post by Lex »

Jotego has many good cores in the works the question is when they will pop up but also old cores have to be fixed due to

movement to another respiratory

This fpga stuff is very time intensive and complicated and I have to give all the programmers a big thank you to make this

evev possible

I really do appreciate the slap fight core by A. Gale - it plays so fine now it is a dream!!!! There is also high score added.

Let´s just see what comes next in the future an be a little humble and patient. It´s about quality and not quantity

cathrynmataga

Unread post by cathrynmataga »

The original Macintosh LC might not be that far off and would get us old Macintosh games in color. 68020, no FPU, no MMU, looks like some very ordinary-looking graphics modes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_LC

Captain FPGA

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

Definitely 3DO

Dreams don't die!
FatSlob71

Unread post by FatSlob71 »

Panasonic 3DO

seastalker

Unread post by seastalker »

Thank you Jotego for making my earlier wishlist post about The NewZealand Story a reality!

bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

action replay 2 or 3 for the amiga.. not sure how it would work..

The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
akator

Unread post by akator »

cathrynmataga wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 6:39 pm

The original Macintosh LC might not be that far off and would get us old Macintosh games in color. 68020, no FPU, no MMU, looks like some very ordinary-looking graphics modes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_LC

Yes, please. A solid, working classic Macintosh core would be very welcome. I know, we can emulate Mac in the Amiga core, but it would be a welcome and more authentic experience to have a solid Mac core that didn't require using Amiga.

Alkadian
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alkadian »

Alkadian wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:06 pm
Pierco wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:23 pm
Alkadian wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:34 am

We are missing football games, so I would love to see either Taito Kick and Run or its bootleg Mexico 86. That would be just a dream for me!

I fully agree, we are missing too many football games. Full schematics are available for Kick and Run so I just started to look at it today. I can't promise a MiSTer core because it has a MC6801 MCU and a custom chip from Taito. For the custom chip I can emulate it based on MAME sources, it seems to be used for coins. For the MCU, a core exists on opencores.org, I will check if it works or not. It has also 6 PALs but the dumps are available on PLD archive so I can extract the equations and create a couple of simulations to decode/understand them.

Super incredible and awesome news!!! Thank you so much! :D

Based on your initial thoughts it does sound very challenging! But just the fact that you are looking at it is making me feel super happy as I have got so fond memories of this game. When I was I kid I was used to play it with my best mate. Infact this is the game we still play together when we meet up during the Christmas holidays!

Finally that day arrived!!!

viewtopic.php?t=6576

Thank you so much @Pierco !!!!!

catenaccio

Unread post by catenaccio »

I would like to see Tehkan world cup, my favourite soccer game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAPKlwQZ0Fw

jd213

Unread post by jd213 »

Hoping to see the Kaneko Super System (Cyvern, Sengeki Striker, etc.) eventually, as its CPU (SH-2) and audio hardware (Yamaha YMZ280B) seem to have already been implemented in other cores.

_javi_

Unread post by _javi_ »

I wish a core for Tehkan's STAR FORCE would be on the making.. I thought as it is "similar" to Bomb Jack it could be made easier, but no luck so far.

Jaleco's CITY CONNECTION would definite sound great in a miSTer core.

Hanseart

Unread post by Hanseart »

Any chance of seeing Galaga'88 on Mister?

Pierco
Core Developer

Unread post by Pierco »

catenaccio wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:26 pm

I started it last year but I can't find schematics so it's on pause. I can do an emulation (a MAME port) but I would prefer to do it correctly.

pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

is virtualboy possible to run on de 10 nano?

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

Yes. Whether someone would be interested in making a core for it is a different question altogether, though. But since it’s one of the few Nintendo cores left, I’m sure it’ll happen eventually.

catenaccio

Unread post by catenaccio »

Pierco wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:11 pm
catenaccio wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:26 pm

I started it last year but I can't find schematics so it's on pause. I can do an emulation (a MAME port) but I would prefer to do it correctly.

Do you need a working pcb? I can find one "to be revised" for only 20€. I could buy it and then send it to you

cathrynmataga

Unread post by cathrynmataga »

Searching this topic, no one has ever mentioned 'Exidy Sorcerer.' The other weird old one that I saw sold but didn't know anyone who actually owned one was the 'Compucolor 2.' I think Sorcerer is Z80, and Compucolor is 8080, maybe? I think Sorcerer has more software for it. Compucolor 2 was always running this color Star Trek game in computer stores, but not sure what else there was for this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exidy_Sorcerer

Kreese

Unread post by Kreese »

I'd really would like to see Rainbow Islands arcade version for the MiSTer. It's an amazing game and would be awesome to play it!!

mikeboss

Unread post by mikeboss »

+1 for Macintosh LC! for me, this is the only one missing. with Saturn and N64 coming soon, the MiSTer is close to perfection.