Pleaids Core Game Sound not matching real Hardware

TLoMatt

Pleaids Core Game Sound not matching real Hardware

Unread post by TLoMatt »

Hi to all ! So I was watching a video of an Argentinian guy who was explaining how MAME neither Mister FPGA has accomplished yet the proper sound in a 1981 Arcade game called "Pleiades/Pleiads" and watching real hardware videos he's indeed right , the sounds of this game are amazing and it's a bummer that we don't have this game properly running in Mister or in any other device , the Mister fpga core sound of this game has nothing to do with the sound presented on real PCB hardware , Now I'm gonna provide 2 links of real hardware one coming from this Argentinian and the other from real hardware as well respectively

https://youtu.be/H0k9ac2GC5E?t=545

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biefmWDQXS8

I hope addressing this issue can help the community :)

rhester72
Top Contributor

Re: Pleaids Core Game Sound not matching real Hardware

Unread post by rhester72 »

This is a common problem with any arcade system that used analog components for sound, and not easily solved on FPGA.

80sArcadeKid

Unread post by 80sArcadeKid »

Analogue audio reproduction seems to be one of the most common issues with FPGA arcade cores.
I find it a little odd that it doesn't get more focus/interest.

I reckon it's gonna take a very dedicated developer to create some kind of "analogue sound simulation tool" where you can recreate then simulate analogue circuits. Then the FPGA hardware is gonna need enough power to run that as part of the core in realtime or at least generate accurate audio samples to use in the core. That way the FPGA platform can acctually claim it can accurately document all of the arcade hardware rather than just the digital part of it, even if using samples like MAME.

rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

A first attempt has already been made, slightly analogous to the way MAME handles the same problem (by circuit simulation). It produced fairly mixed results, but I think the intersect point between those with interest, those with analog circuitry experience and FPGA programming knowledge is painfully (but not unexpectedly) small. As time goes on, the problem will only get worse...kids aren't learning analog circuit theory these days.

remvel

Unread post by remvel »

Excellent game, hopefully they can preserve the Hardware that needs a little more development in Mister