Strange Ghosting on LG C2 OLED

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
Asteld

Strange Ghosting on LG C2 OLED

Unread post by Asteld »

Hi all,

My MiSTer is connected to a LG C2 OLED TV and I'm experiencing a very strange ghosting issue which I cannot seem to relate to any specific setting.

Essentially, the display seems to mangle the order of frames, causing the display to shift between the latest frame, folled by a frame that seems to be from 5 or so frames ago. At 60Hz the result is a sort of ghosting image.

I have attached my Mister.ini, but I cannot find any setting that reliably solves the issue. Changing vsync_adjust makes no difference, nor does disabling hdmi_game_mode or vrr_mode.

The one setting that does seem to matter is resolution. The issue does not seem to appear at 720p. e edit: also appears at 720p/

Strangely enough, I can 'fix' the issue sometimes by enabling and disabling the TV-settings for "VRR & Gsync" and "Freesync Premium". I have to do this randomly until at some point, sometimes, there is no ghosting anymore.

Ihave no clue what I can do to solve this. I'll add some pictures and If I can a video. It would be great if someone could help me out.

OLED Ghosting.mp4
(19.43 MiB) Downloaded 58 times
Attachments
mister.ini
(15.13 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Asteld

Re: Strange Ghosting on LG C2 OLED

Unread post by Asteld »

Issue
Issue
183B83D3-77B3-4588-83E3-9EF5FEBA217F.jpeg (3.29 MiB) Viewed 2346 times
Static img for reference
Static img for reference
1BB5B441-2E8B-49B7-8DA7-F92AFEB9CEA1.jpeg (4.43 MiB) Viewed 2346 times
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Do you have a motion smoothing option enabled on your TV? I'm not really expecting that to cause that effect, but you never know.

Another thing I was thinking of, is incorrect de-interlacing order, caused by PAL/NTSC field order differences, but it doesn't look like that.

Asteld

Unread post by Asteld »

The LG is in Game mode and no motion smoothing is available. Tried with a fresh INI to no result.

rafael

Unread post by rafael »

I am not sure if it helps but this video covers pretty much everything you might want to know about this TV model, maybe it may explain this behaviour you are experiencing.