Rastan - game freeze at same point on most core alts

wmd

Rastan - game freeze at same point on most core alts

Unread post by wmd »

There seems to be two main variants of this game - one where you get swarmed with bats coming from all angles at certain points in each stage, and all the others variants, where you do not get swarmed. On all the variants where you do not get swarmed, the game crashes every single time at this point in stage 5:

Kma1iSD.jpeg
Kma1iSD.jpeg (120.43 KiB) Viewed 1914 times

Now, I distinctly remember this happening on real arcade hardware back in the late 80s / early 90s when I used to play it in a local arcade. I used to think this was due to it being a bootleg. However, this issue is present on most of the alt versions supported by MiSTer. Is this a well known bug? If so, should it be affecting the majority of alts?

Gryzor

Re: Rastan - game freeze at same point on most core alts

Unread post by Gryzor »

I can confirm this issue mentioned above with the older japanese version of Rastan Saga.
Stage 5 froze on me during two separate runs. Not exactly sure it ocurred when the bats were supposed to spawn, but that seems quite likely. The freezes never happened when I played the newer, tougher version with bats galore.

Thanks for the awesome TAITO core, Jotego! Playing this game so meticulously emulated is a dream come true ^_^

wmd

Unread post by wmd »

The freeze doesn't occur when the bats spawn, it only occurs at the point in stage 5 that I posted a photo of, and it only occurs in versions (i.e. most of them) which do not have the excessive bat spawing.

Gryzor

Unread post by Gryzor »

Just checked my own screenshot of the freeze and it happened while Rastan was still on the lower part of that slide.
So that's almost in the same spot as yours.

wmd

Unread post by wmd »

Yes, it usually freezes on the slide for me too.