Sega Saturn Core in Development

Marcellus

Re: Sega Saturn Core in Development

Unread post by Marcellus »

Is still needed latest Mister unstable, for working saves? I have a problem with auto save in Castlevania SotN.
Latest Saturn build.

blueice80

Unread post by blueice80 »

mike911 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:20 pm
blueice80 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:00 am

Hi everyone, I am new here, and while I've had my Mister for awhile now, I consider myself a noob and I do not know how to play around with scripts or edit Mister INI, etc.

I connect my Mister to a flat panel TV via HDMI.

I have tried several games on the Saturn core and have noticed that some games do not expand to fill up my entire screen, while others do. A rough estimate would be that such games take up just half of the screen real estate.

Decathlete (US) runs like this for me, while interestingly Saturn Bomberman (JP) only runs like this in Battle Mode.

I've had a similar issue with the PSX core, where many games run like this in menu screens, but during actual gameplay, the entire screen would be filled up.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can advise me on what to do!

First you need to check if vscale_mode=0 is set the mister.ini, easiest way to do it is by using the ini_settings.sh script, just enter the menu for scripts in the OSD and select it. It is quite self explanatory. Just locate the vscale_mode line and if not set to 0, just click on it and change it to zero. You do not even need a keyboard for it. Once changed you select save and reboot.

Thank you so much! This worked great. :)

Atohmdiy

Unread post by Atohmdiy »

I follow the developpement of the Saturn core, and since the latest version audio start to be a lot worse than before. Games that were working perfectly in that regards, like duke nukem 3d, are now a complete noise garbage. I assume there is a regression somewhere in the audio side.

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Atohmdiy wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:08 am

I follow the developpement of the Saturn core, and since the latest version audio start to be a lot worse than before. Games that were working perfectly in that regards, like duke nukem 3d, are now a complete noise garbage. I assume there is a regression somewhere in the audio side.

I have no such issues. The core is very memory dependent. If you are unlucky enough to have purchased a 4 chip ram solution then you will have a bad time

Atohmdiy

Unread post by Atohmdiy »

No it's my old dual chip ram i have since i build my mister, not sure of the version, 2.5 i assume. I never have any issue with it, whatever i am running, and audio was working fine in the previous version of the core. I assume i'll have to order a V3 stick...

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

I run a dual v2.9 and 2.5. The 2,9 posts at 150 in Mem test and the 2.5 at 143 and I have no sound issues

This core pushes memory hard much harder than any other core

Captain FPGA

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

Tulius wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:52 pm

From the games I tested only four dont work properly: Marvel SuperHeroes vs Street Fighter, X-Men vs Street Fighter, Shienryu and Shining the Holy Ark... maybe there some others too, but I think the compatibility is close to 95% working now.

Also had trouble with said games. I'm sure our great Srg will have the bugs ironed out at some point

Dreams don't die!
Bristles

Unread post by Bristles »

New Saturn core update working great with CHDs.
To those having issues, have you tried putting the CHDs in their own individual folders, of the same name as the CHD file ?

rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

@Bristles I ended up having to start over entirely - my older redump versions extracted to cue/bin just fine, but the CHDs don't work at all. Found another set on archive.org that seems to work fine. Can't explain it.

Bristles

Unread post by Bristles »

Weird. I used the same set that was mentioned earlier on in this thread, and so far everything that I have tested has booted, and works great.
I am using just one 128Mb ram module v2.9, and a Sony PVM for display.

Akuma

Unread post by Akuma »

mike911 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:56 am

Which ones? Most I have tested have audio issues with both single and dual. Mainly some crackling or missing sound effects, and volume level issues.

Daytona's BGM audio is very very low, so I can confirm the volume level behavior.

rhester72
Top Contributor

All of Daytona's audio is very low compared to other games...and it's not a RAM issue.

Akuma

Unread post by Akuma »

rhester72 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:03 pm

All of Daytona's audio is very low compared to other games...and it's not a RAM issue.

How does that compare to the original ?

Retro-Nerd

Unread post by Retro-Nerd »

All issues with the current core are listed here. The audio volume issue in several games is known too.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Saturn_MiSTer/issues

rhester72
Top Contributor

Is there any way to enable SNAC in the core yet?

Shogun

Unread post by Shogun »

Its great the image is displaying correctly on CRTs now with the latest update! 8-)

Akuma

Unread post by Akuma »

If I load a couple of bioses (usually to find the correct one with testing) sometimes the display goes black, but sound seems to work. This resolves itself after a reboot.

rhester72
Top Contributor

Anyone tried Photo CD?

I can get "Photo CD Operating System (Europe)" going (with its default photos), but if I swap the disc with any photo CD, the application seems to ignore the disc and never reads the photos.

16Bittt

Unread post by 16Bittt »

Was any other core released to public in beta form?
There seem to be so many issues and problems with this core..

dshadoff
Core Developer

Unread post by dshadoff »

Every core that is made “official” needs to reach a certain maturity (based on discussion between the author and Sorg) before it is made official.

This does not mean that there would be no known bugs or that there will not be features added; merely that it is working for a lot of things.

Especially tertiary features such as PhotoCD or CD+G, one should basically expect those non-game features to be among the last things added to the cores.

In any case, this core is still actively being worked on (unlike many other official cores which are imperfect)… you should check on its progress from time to time. As one of the largest and most complex cores on the system, there are bound to be a lot of things to fix for a while. I’m sure that srg320 has a list of his own known issues, but I would assume - now that it has been placed into an official repository - that it should be OK to log issues. Just expect that they are more likely to be prioritized if there is more detail in the issue.

mike911

Unread post by mike911 »

16Bittt wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:02 pm

Was any other core released to public in beta form?
There seem to be so many issues and problems with this core..

Most issues are from users with incompatible sdram, as of now you really need a 128mb v2.9+ 2-chip to avoid issues, maybe that should be included in the core readme. Also very common is not having a bios or correct bios, which update all does not currently download for you. With this sorted, most games are playable, of my nearly 100 games library, I could only find two that wouldn´t start. So I think for a Beta is very impressive.

rhester72
Top Contributor

Agreed...for my own purposes, the core is at daily-driver status, with really only lack of SNAC support being the only thing I have much to grumble over. Compatibility is extremely good just compared to the last public release.

capitaineflam25

Unread post by capitaineflam25 »

The progress are impressive and the compatibility really good (if you have the good SDRAM references)

I'm hoping for lightgun and multitap suppport (i mean, not via SNAC) 🤩

16Bittt

Unread post by 16Bittt »

mike911 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:59 pm

Most issues are from users with incompatible sdram, as of now you really need a 128mb v2.9+ 2-chip to avoid issues, maybe that should be included in the core readme. Also very common is not having a bios or correct bios, which update all does not currently download for you. With this sorted, most games are playable, of my nearly 100 games library, I could only find two that wouldn´t start. So I think for a Beta is very impressive.

I built my Mister is 2019.it has 128mb RAM but I have no idea what version it is / 2 chip or not.how can I find out?

rhester72
Top Contributor

@16Bittt Remove the RAM module and look at it. You can see the chip count and version on the module.

dmckean

Unread post by dmckean »

I think you need at least version 2.5 of the 128mb RAM and preferably version 2.9.

2019 predates all those revisions of RAM.

Malan

Unread post by Malan »

dmckean wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:10 pm

I think you need at least version 2.5 of the 128mb RAM and preferably version 2.9.

2019 predates all those revisions of RAM.

Be aware that RAM v2.5 is still very glitchy at the moment.

rhester72
Top Contributor

Malan wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:45 pm

Was this confirmed? I'm not certain that's true.

WrongWheelDrive

Unread post by WrongWheelDrive »

Interesting issue I have run into. I was playing Policenauts and after getting to Disc 3, I saved my game as I usually do. I then powered the Mister OFF. Next time I tried to play I loaded up disc 3 assuming the save file would be there. The thing is, I can only See my Disc 3 save when loading disc 2. When I try to change to disc 3 it doesn't show my save and it doesn't just pick up the disc change, it actually reboots.

NOTE: I resolved by changing the save file name to match disc 3 in the saves folder. I can now load my game save from disc 3. So just a call out that there is definitely some type of issue with saves related to disc changing.

roel27

Unread post by roel27 »

rhester72 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:52 pm
Malan wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:45 pm

Was this confirmed? I'm not certain that's true.

In my case it was certainly, but this was a few weeks ago.