I've lost my power supply/cable and need a new one

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
bobobobobobob.bob

I've lost my power supply/cable and need a new one

Unread post by bobobobobobob.bob »

Hi! I have a MiSTer, but lost the power cable! I tried looking up what cable to get, but I found out the answer is a lot more complicated than expected.

I have a MISTER with two power ports. There's the top layer with a VGA port and the three "reset/osd/user" buttons. The second layer (one with the HDMI out) has a power port. That one is connected to the second layer with a micro USB clamp-type thing. The third layer is a USB hub and has a power port.

What do I need to power this? This forum thread (viewtopic.php?t=5798) says to get the GST25A05-P1J, but not if you need a Y-cable for the power. So what should I get if I need the Y-cable?

AngelicLiver

Re: I've lost my power supply/cable and need a new one

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

What do I need to power this? This forum thread (viewtopic.php?t=5798) says to get the GST25A05-P1J, but not if you need a Y-cable for the power. So what should I get if I need the Y-cable?

I think you are slightly misunderstanding what is being discussed in the thread. The Meanwell GST25A05-P1J is defo recommended; it has sufficient amperage and Meanwell are a respected power supply manufacturer.

The downside is it has no inline power switch necessitating a power switch as suggested above for conveniently turning the MiSTer on/off. The inline switch + splitter as FPGA64 has suggested is from a very reputable MiSTer store. Other inline switches have been known to cause voltage drops that lead to instability when running the DE10-Nano plus USB hubs loaded with peripherals.

edr

Re: I've lost my power supply/cable and need a new one

Unread post by edr »

Meanwell is a great brand and there are others as well. If you search top electronics suppliers like DigiKey and Mouser you'll find a good number. Make sure it supports your 110/220 voltage, many do both, and has the correct US/Euro plug or plug adapters (some have multiple country adapters to choose from). This is one I'm using:

GlobTek Supply.jpg

A couple I bought on DigiKey with part numbers:

Supplies from DigiKey.png

Some MiSTer systems, like my MisterAddons digital system, have 3 DC jacks. You jumper 2 of them then plug the supply in the 3rd jack. This doesn't provide an inline switch of course (but my digital system has a power switch on the case).

MisterAddons Digital.jpg
Mister Addons DC Jumper.png

My MisterAddons analog system does use a short DC splitter adapter, and instead of an inline switch I use a Homekit power plug to toggle power on/off from my phone or HomePod :).

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.