Is OEM Best for N64 & NES Controllers?

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
misterrocks

Is OEM Best for N64 & NES Controllers?

Unread post by misterrocks »

Is OEM the best choice for N64 and NES controllers on the MiSTer with Reflex Adapt?

I've read about drift problems with the N64 OEM analog stick but it looks like there are replacement parts available.

AngelicLiver

Re: Is OEM Best for N64 & NES Controllers?

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

OEM, NSO or Brawler64 are all really good options.

All original N64 analog sticks will eventually disintegrate into dust and become loose. Be wary of replacement parts though as most, if not all, have wildly inconsistent deadzones and feel nothing like the official sticks.

rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

I very much like the Hyperkin Captain...very similar hand feel to OEM but vastly improved joystick. Completely agree with @AngelicLiver on the fragility of the OEM stick components...it's not a question of whether it will be completely wrecked, but when (absolutely TERRIBLE design!).

Does anyone know what the NSO joystick is like design-wise? Been looking at it, but not going to go in with that kind of coin unless it's built to last. Too bad they don't have adapters for actual N64 connectors, SNAC is a thing of beauty.

misterrocks

Unread post by misterrocks »

It looks like NSO is wireless or USB but I'm looking to connect through Reflex Adapt for low latency so for N64 I'm thinking Brawler64 or Hyperkin Captain.

Is the OEM NES controller still reliable after all these years or should I be looking for a repro and if repro which one?

edr

Unread post by edr »

OEM is most authentic no Q, but I find the OEM N64 wired and Switch Online N64 bluetooth controllers to have stiff and not very pleasant analog sticks imo. Don't have any problem with OEM NES and SNES controllers.

If you want to stick to wired for low latency, I'm liking the 8BitDo Ultimate wired USB for N64, the analog sticks are in X-Box layout and feel smooth and easy to control. There's also the 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G (2.4G wireless dongle or plug-in USB cable) and 8BitDo Ultimate BT (blutooth + 2.4Ghz dongle and wired w/plugin cable and has Hall effect sensors unlike the others).

There are also good reviews out there for wired or wireless Gulikit and GameSir controllers, both brands with Hall effect sensors, and GameSir supposedly having better Hall effect sensors than some older Gulikit ones. Haven't used these so no direct experience. Noticed that the small center buttons (select/start/profile etc) on the Gulikit's are shifted to the left a bit and it bothers me :).

For NES/SNES I like the wired Nintendo brand NES/SNES classic controllers that came with the NES/SNES mini systems, seem just like the originals but are still available new on Ebay etc for about $30-40 and can be adapted to the MiSTer using Raphnet or SNAC(X)/Reflex "Wii Classic" cable adapters.

Also have a look at https://rpubs.com/misteraddons/inputlatency for latency numbers on a lot of controllers (but still many have not yet been tested). All the lowest and most consistent latencies are for, no surprise wired. There are a few good numbers for some 2.4G wireless controllers w/2.4G dongles (a few 8BitDo etc), though are are also some 2.4G items with bad numbers.

Azuris

Unread post by Azuris »

I personally like the original N64 Controller, but they tend to be worn out and so i tested the Brawler 64 and the small Retrobit one.
I now do prefer the Brawler 64 :D ...
The Stick makes it really easy to control in Plattformers, what once was a tricky Situation now is easy, just because you can have more Trust in the Input.

I also ordered a replacement Stick from Dragonbox for the original Controller, that has the Gamecube Style, but it hasn't arrived yet.
Will test that out too soon.

Also be aware that most not original Controllers do not support the Transfare Pack.