Neo Geo, .neo, .xml, and .zip files

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
maze

Neo Geo, .neo, .xml, and .zip files

Unread post by maze »

I'm a complete Neo Geo newbie. I obtained the "@MiSTer Pack Add-on - NEOGEO 2020-05-12.zip" file from a certain archival site.

I'm having trouble with the "2 HBMAME Alt Pack" subfolder. In the original download, this contains other zip files, such as "Demos and homebrews HBMame.zip". I have taken all of these and extracted each to its own new sub-subfolder, and then recompressed the entire pack in 7-Zip at compression level "9 - Ultra" for maximum space saving.

So, the layout is:

Code: Select all

@MiSTer Pack Add-on - NEOGEO 2020-05-12.zip\1 World A-Z\(.neo files)
@MiSTer Pack Add-on - NEOGEO 2020-05-12.zip\2 AES Specific - A-Z\(.neo files)
@MiSTer Pack Add-on - NEOGEO 2020-05-12.zip\2 HBMAME Alt Pack\Demos and homebrews HBMame\romsets.xml
@MiSTer Pack Add-on - NEOGEO 2020-05-12.zip\2 HBMAME Alt Pack\Demos and homebrews HBMame\akiradmo\(files)
@MiSTer Pack Add-on - NEOGEO 2020-05-12.zip\2 HBMAME Alt Pack\Demos and homebrews HBMame\badapple\(files)

etc.

The problem is, when I go to "Load ROM set *.*", I don't seem to see these HBMAME games at all. Navigating through the zip, I get (for example):

Code: Select all

@MiSTer Pack Add-on - NEOGEO 2020-05-12.zip\2 HBMAME Alt Pack\Demos and homebrews HBMame\akiradmo\(empty/nothing)

The .neo files in other folders are recognized and play fine. I know there's a problem with the way I'm doing this. I guess it's preventing the HBMAME .xml files from being read correctly by the core?

I'd love to get this working while keeping everything in a single .zip. Can anyone advise? Thanks.

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Re: Neo Geo, .neo, .xml, and .zip files

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Mister doesnt suport 7zip.

maze

Unread post by maze »

I'm not using 7zip files (.7z). I'm using .zip files made with the program 7-Zip.

As I said, the MiSTer reads my .zip files just fine and runs the contained .neo files with no problem.

dickhardpill

Unread post by dickhardpill »

It works and I think I like it more than the actual core just for ease of use. I can click directly on a game from the menu rather than loading a core and then going through the menu. I downloaded the files from the patreon linked in this topic

Please let me know if you need further instruction, it is pretty straight forward.