NES Core Adding Stereo Sound Like the RGB Mod

Zarkov

NES Core Adding Stereo Sound Like the RGB Mod

Unread post by Zarkov »

Hi I’d like to request a feature:

My rgb modded nes has the ability to separate the sound channels into sudo stereo were it sends some of the voices off the cpu to one channel and the rest to the other.

I very much prefer this sudo stereo sound vs the mono and it adds a lot of dimension to the music.

It seems pretty simple how it’s achieving this as from what I understand the voices are on separate pins on the cpu. So I’m hoping it would be pretty easy to replicate this option in mister.

Unless it’s already implemented and I’m missing it in the menu somehow. I only see a way to hear expansion audio and/or internal. Ideally I’d like a way to turn sudo stereo on/off, and control the degree of the mix from full separation and maybe 50/50 etc.

From a different forum post:
“The NES CPU generates square and triangle waves separately through pins 1 and 2, and somewhere along the motherboard there's circuitry that blends them together into the mono sound of the stock RCA jack (or coaxial.) There are old hacks out there you can implement to circumvent the NESRGB audio circuitry entirely and even incorporate a potentiometer to mix the two separate channels together for a pseudo stereo effect”

This person goes on to say most ppl leave it on mono, but I strongly disagree. I pretty much always use the stereo mode.

Koston

Re: NES Core Adding Stereo Sound Like the RGB Mod

Unread post by Koston »

Zarkov wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:52 pm

This person goes on to say most ppl leave it on mono, but I strongly disagree. I pretty much always use the stereo mode.

I've installed a pot for controlling the mono/stereo mix of channels, and having some amount of stereo separation is definitely nicer than pure mono. But pure mono is also nicer than 100% stereo separation.

Zarkov

Unread post by Zarkov »

Koston wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:25 am
Zarkov wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:52 pm

I've installed a pot for controlling the mono/stereo mix of channels, and having some amount of stereo separation is definitely nicer than pure mono. But pure mono is also nicer than 100% stereo separation.

You installed this on the mister? If so, how.

I have the stereo mod on my real NES, I’m looking for a way to have the same thing for the mister.

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

I suggest to add this to the core's github issues page. https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/NES_MiSTer/issues This would probably be the quickest way to get it. Be sure to request adjustable stereo separation, and maybe a toggle option to change which voices go on the left and right since there are different possible combinations because there are more than two voices, and it might sound better with different settings for different games.

Zarkov

Unread post by Zarkov »

thorr wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:39 pm

I suggest to add this to the core's github issues page. https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/NES_MiSTer/issues This would probably be the quickest way to get it. Be sure to request adjustable stereo separation, and maybe a toggle option to change which voices go on the left and right since there are different possible combinations because there are more than two voices, and it might sound better with different settings for different games.

Thx I’ll look into that.