Using a 10TB Hard Drive?

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
helset

Using a 10TB Hard Drive?

Unread post by helset »

Hello,

I have a 10Tb HD, I wanted to know if it works on MiSTer?

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Re: Using a 10TB Hard Drive?

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Impossible to say without more details

If its an external USB drive then probably. Although a drive of that size will need an external power source

throAU

Unread post by throAU »

As i understand it, the hosting OS is linux so it should just work.

As above, you’ll need to power it externally, but that’s probably a 3.5” drive anyway so guessing you’re already planning to use it via a 3.5” caddy with its own power supply?

AngelicLiver

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

If it is a USB hard drive (or caddy) just format the drive as exFAT and it should work just fine. 10TB is ludicrous overkill for a dedicated MiSTer setup so it might be better to look at something like RetroNAS.

Here is a good video that details the process.

neogeo81

Unread post by neogeo81 »

Why though? Use curated rom packs or curate your own. No one needs all the barbie games....

Bas
Top Contributor

Unread post by Bas »

Why not? ;-) 640KB is enough for everybody.

helset

Unread post by helset »

FPGA64 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:38 am

Impossible to say without more details

If its an external USB drive then probably. Although a drive of that size will need an external power source

Thank you for your answer, it is a 10Tb 3.5” HD, I can power it both externally with its own power supply, and with the power supply from the mister that I bought, which is 5v 10A. See the video below, more precisely from minute 3:00.

https://youtu.be/qyc2_ftIL2I

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

I would power it externally. Usb is current limited

helset

Unread post by helset »

throAU wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:54 am

As i understand it, the hosting OS is linux so it should just work.

As above, you’ll need to power it externally, but that’s probably a 3.5” drive anyway so guessing you’re already planning to use it via a 3.5” caddy with its own power supply?

Thank you for your answer, it is a 10Tb 3.5” HD, I can power it both externally with its own power supply, and with the power supply from the mister that I bought, which is 5v 10A.

AngelicLiver wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:13 pm

If it is a USB hard drive (or caddy) just format the drive as exFAT and it should work just fine. 10TB is ludicrous overkill for a dedicated MiSTer setup so it might be better to look at something like RetroNAS.

Here is a good video that details the process.

Thank you for responding, I have a large library of ROMS that I have been collecting for a long time. I will watch your video

neogeo81 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:06 pm

Why though? Use curated rom packs or curate your own. No one needs all the barbie games....

Thanks for responding. Really, though, I'm a game collector and I've had this HD for a long time. I've been looking for Full Sets for years. It's an option, since I only have this HD for my Mister project.
NOTE: I don't have Barbie games. I don't think I've ever played one. And it's not a priority for me.

Bas wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:48 pm

Why not? ;-) 640KB is enough for everybody.

Thanks for responding, everyone has their own priorities, right?

FPGA64 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:09 pm

I would power it externally. Usb is current limited

I will definitely do that.

antibolo

Unread post by antibolo »

[deleted because others below have given much better answers]

akator

Unread post by akator »

neogeo81 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:06 pm

No one needs all the barbie games....

This sounds like a personal thing between you and Barbie.

antibolo

Unread post by antibolo »

I don't need all the Barbie games but I do need all the Oppenheimer games

helset

Unread post by helset »

AAE, Daphne or Laser Disc, Future Pinball, MAME, Neo Geo and Zinc totaling 44 GB.

Actionmax, Adventurevision, Arcadia 2001, Astrocade, Channel F, Colecovision, Commodore Amiga, Creativision, GCE Vectrex, GX4000, Intellivision, Magnavox Odyssey 2, Neo Geo Pocket, Neo Geo Pocket Color, RCA Studio II, Supervision, Wonderswan Color and Wonderswan Mono 34GB

Famicom Disk System, Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, Gameboy Color, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Arcade Systems, Nintendo Entertainment System, Sega 32X, Sega Game Gear, Sega Genesis, Sega Master System, Sega Model 2, Sega SG1000, Super Nintendo Entertainment System and Virtual Boy it has 9GB

Atari, 2600, 5200, 7800, Atari Jaguar and Lynx, in addition to PC Engine, PCFX, SuperGrafx, TurboGrafx 16 and TurboGrafx CD are another 50.48 Gb.

Sega CD 61.01GB

*Dreamcast 97.62GB

Sega Saturn 92.9GB

Sony Playstation Games 434.66 GB

total of these libraries 823.67 GB

this increases by around 150GB, if we consider games hacks, translations, alternative and unofficial versions.

The 10TB HD really FOR THE MISTER, it is an exaggeration, however for the launchbox and other frontends that I used, it was necessary, as it contained images, videos, music and information from each Rom and each system.

I believe that a 2TB HD is more than enough for now, in the future when more systems are added, greater capacity may be needed.

throAU

Unread post by throAU »

Bear in mind that a larger drive using a smaller fraction of its space will generally be faster than a smaller drive using all its space due to the way the tracks are laid out. The heads will also need to move less for random IO access too.

So yeah. Have at it, etc. It might be overkill, but there are benefits still.

Bas
Top Contributor

Unread post by Bas »

I'd advise agains ExFAT for such a HUGE volume but that's probably just my allergy for anything FAT-related talking from the days I did tech support on Windows 3.x/9x desktops. The slack space from bazillions of tiny files while the thing is formatted with 128KB clusters is just one thing. I'd personally go for something that has a bit more integrity protection like ext4 which behaves better in the case of sudden power loss, as commonly tends to happen on MiSTer.

Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

antibolo wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:21 pm

Without the Saturn and PSX libraries, the entire game librairies of all console cores currently on MiSTer can fit in less than 300GB, from my rough estimate (my setup is missing some PCE CD games I think, so I don't know for sure).

With the Saturn I'm not sure, but it's probably well under 1TB, assuming CHDs (dunno if the Saturn core actually supports them, haven't messed with it yet).

With the PSX, well, I'd rather not know honestly.

So unless you're looking into a complete PSX library, 10TB is MASSIVELY overkill.

Saturn CHD complete pack about 500GB
PSX CHD complete Asia pack about 1TB
PSX CHD complete US pack about 500GB
PSX CHD complete PAL pack about 750GB
PCE-CD CHD complete pack about 130GB

offset

Unread post by offset »

I was in a similar situation with needing larger and larger sdcards, so I just put together a cheap nas solution (rPI based) and have 2 x 5tb drives in a raid1 exported as smb (/mnt/mister).

Attaching my breakdown of disk usage for /games folder (see attached screenshot)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.