GB/GBC ROM Location

midline_slippy

GB/GBC ROM Location

Unread post by midline_slippy »

I am sure this may seem these are odd questions to some, but I am currently curating my RomSets (more of an analysis paralysis issue - trying to spend more time playing games not going thru massive game lists trying to figure out what game to play). In doing so, I have some questions...

Am I correct to assume that the GameBoy and GameBoy Color core is the same core?
Would there be any issues if I put ALL my GB and GBC ROMs in the same folder?
If I did this, should they go in /games/GAMEBOY or /games/GBC?

Thank You.

Stupid Dufus

Re: GB/GBC ROM Location

Unread post by Stupid Dufus »

GB and GBC should go in /games/GameBoy

midline_slippy

Unread post by midline_slippy »

Stupid Dufus wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:12 pm

?

So, you are saying they always should have been in /games/GameBoy?

The update_all creates both /games/GameBoy and /games/GBC and are where I currently have my files split at, using Game Boy or Game Boy Color choices in the console submenu...

Tho, I guess that does answer the question that I can combine GB and GBC. I assume using Game Boy to launch all games.
Thanx!

ItalianGrandma

Unread post by ItalianGrandma »

midline_slippy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:43 pm
Stupid Dufus wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:12 pm

?

So, you are saying they always should have been in /games/GameBoy?

The update_all creates both /games/GameBoy and /games/GBC and are where I currently have my files split at, using Game Boy or Game Boy Color choices in the console submenu...

Tho, I guess that does answer the question that I can combine GB and GBC. I assume using Game Boy to launch all games.
Thanx!

The GBC folder is used if you are launching games from the GBC or Game Boy Color entry in your core list. That entry uses an MGL file to launch the core, which points to the GBC folder for games. If you delete the GBC folder, I am not sure what happens regarding whether the GBC/Game Boy Color mgl entry will use the GAMEBOY folder to find roms.