Special Sauce Collection (Now Superseded)

Emubastard

Special Sauce Collection (Now Superseded)

Unread post by Emubastard »

EDIT: See the announcement here:

viewtopic.php?t=7818

akeley
Top Contributor

Re: Special Sauce Collection (Now Superseded)

Unread post by akeley »

Emubastard wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:53 am

Another game collection? Sure why not.

Yeah, the more the merrier. Nice work!

I mostly prefer to go through the pain of installing and configuring games on my own vhds, but wouldn;t mind having some ready made (but relatively small) options as well. If I just grab some individual vhds/img sets from your collection will they work out of the box, or do I need to maintain the dir structure and use your boot vhd?

akator

Unread post by akator »

Thanks for this! I think it great to have multiple options and you have a good game list here.

Emubastard

akeley wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:43 pm

Another game collection? Sure why not.

Yeah, the more the merrier. Nice work!

I mostly prefer to go through the pain of installing and configuring games on my own vhds, but wouldn;t mind having some ready made (but relatively small) options as well. If I just grab some individual vhds/img sets from your collection will they work out of the box, or do I need to maintain the dir structure and use your boot vhd?

They should just work out of the box. Everything is located in ao486/media/<game> directory. Inspecting the MGL file to get the exact abbreviated name of the games VHD and ISO, if any, would be the best way to go.

aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Just what I've been wanting all along :)

Tested out a bunch (but not all), I only ran into one issue. Albion doesn't load directly into the game, the CD mount isn't detected.

EDIT: Worms also wouldn't launch, it did not detect dos4gw.exe or maybe the version is wrong for it.

birdybro~
Emubastard

aberu wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:06 pm

Tested out a bunch (but not all), I only ran into one issue. Albion doesn't load directly into the game, the CD mount isn't detected.

EDIT: Worms also wouldn't launch, it did not detect dos4gw.exe or maybe the version is wrong for it.

I'm so sorry. I just retested both of these on my end and they are loading for me. I do have a theory though.

How are you at editing a little text file?

If you go into _DOS Games and edit the following files

Albion.mgl
Worms.mgl

Try changing <reset delay="1"/> and change the delay to 2, or maybe higher. It's the number of seconds before the core resets after it is first started and the drives are mounted. It's the only thing I can think of that would be different between you and me. That being the speed of our sdcard, or in my case network as I use a network mount (much faster).

Also I don't know if you would like to go into the /media/fat/games/ao486/media/worms and albion directory and make sure their are the correct image files there, the ones specified in the MGL files. I'd like to make sure your unzip process worked properly. You can also manually select them in the ao486 UI and try to boot them.

The DOS4GW issie is strange. Mine works and I can't see how yours could be any different that it would throw an error.

Something somewhere has gone amiss.

If this is indeed the issue I'll fix all the mgl files.

-The Bastard

Chrisagu28

Unread post by Chrisagu28 »

That list basically sums up my majority of my childhood lol.

I will glad give this a try and report back!

KnightNZ

Unread post by KnightNZ »

Go find it with "Special Sauce MiSTer FPGA DOS game collection".

A Google search for that just brings up this thread for me :)

Emubastard

I heard archive.org is full of wonder and joy. That's what I heard anyway.

Emubastard

Chrisagu28 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:03 pm

That list basically sums up my majority of my childhood lol.

I will glad give this a try and report back!

Please let me know if there's stuff you think I can add. I'll check around top DOS Games lists and see if it's memorable and try to add it if the system requirements fit. :)

Monos

Unread post by Monos »

Thx for this, it*s made its easy to play.

I would like to see Panzer General 2 and Pacific General adding to this collection.
I played these games for years....
Age of Empires Series would also be nice!

Emubastard

Monos wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:04 pm

Thx for this, it*s made its easy to play.

I would like to see Panzer General 2 and Pacific General adding to this collection.
I played these games for years....
Age of Empires Series would also be nice!

I'm very sorry to report that the games you've mentioned, to the best of my knowledge via google, are all Windows games and therefore don't have a DOS version I can use for this collection. I of course could be wrong about this but I couldn't find DOS versions.

I don't know how well Windows 95 runs under ao486 but it is beyond the scope of what I can do.

Again, sorry I don't have better news.

Monos

Unread post by Monos »

Damm, you are right. I thought i played them under DOS. SH*T

DrFlo

Unread post by DrFlo »

Thank you very much for this ! I am a big fan of "Suoercars". I think the DOS-Version "Supercars international" is superior to the Amiga releases. The game is included in the eXo/Flynn 300 DOS Pack. I really would love to have a "booter" version. And maybe someone figures out, how to configure the controls /Joystick, so I could use a gamepad. Right now I have to use the keyboard.

Emubastard

DrFlo wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:35 pm

Thank you very much for this ! I am a big fan of "Suoercars". I think the DOS-Version "Supercars international" is superior to the Amiga releases. The game is included in the eXo/Flynn 300 DOS Pack. I really would love to have a "booter" version. And maybe someone figures out, how to configure the controls /Joystick, so I could use a gamepad. Right now I have to use the keyboard.

That game is amazing. I played 3 tracks lol. I've got it working and it's going in the next big update at the end of the month.

That's literally the idea I have of the perfect DOS game. Pick it up and get into it quick.

I think I figured out your joystick issue. I use an Xbox controller. The difference between new controllers and old joysticks of yore are that new controllers have a range inside a circle where old analogue joysticks have a range of X Y that is contained in a square. Maybe I'm not explaining it well but here is how I got this game working.

When you calibrate your joystick in game, do not your move the stick to the UPPPER left or LOWER right. Just move it all the way to the left, not up, and all the way to right, not down, when prompted. This should ensure it gets the full X axis range.

It worked great for me and by digital pad worked too and I actually preferred it.

What a fun game.

-Emubastard

EDIT: If anyone wants interim updates PM me.

All the Ultima's are done.

aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Emubastard wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:44 pm
aberu wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:06 pm

I'm so sorry. I just retested both of these on my end and they are loading for me. I do have a theory though.

How are you at editing a little text file?

If you go into _DOS Games and edit the following files

Albion.mgl
Worms.mgl

Try changing <reset delay="1"/> and change the delay to 2, or maybe higher. It's the number of seconds before the core resets after it is first started and the drives are mounted. It's the only thing I can think of that would be different between you and me. That being the speed of our sdcard, or in my case network as I use a network mount (much faster).

Also I don't know if you would like to go into the /media/fat/games/ao486/media/worms and albion directory and make sure their are the correct image files there, the ones specified in the MGL files. I'd like to make sure your unzip process worked properly. You can also manually select them in the ao486 UI and try to boot them.

The DOS4GW issie is strange. Mine works and I can't see how yours could be any different that it would throw an error.

Something somewhere has gone amiss.

If this is indeed the issue I'll fix all the mgl files.

-The Bastard

I switched delay to 2 and it remained the same.

I figured it out, I still had the top 300 pack vhd mounted in IDE 0-1 :D

birdybro~
DrFlo

Unread post by DrFlo »

Emubastard wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:16 pm

When you calibrate your joystick in game, do not your move the stick to the UPPPER left or LOWER right. Just move it all the way to the left, not up, and all the way to right, not down, when prompted. This should ensure it gets the full X axis range.

It worked great for me and by digital pad worked too and I actually preferred it.

Works like a charm! Perfect! I also prefer the digital pad. There's no joystick-support in the menues, just ingame, right ?

Emubastard

DrFlo wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:11 pm
Emubastard wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:16 pm

Works like a charm! Perfect! I also prefer the digital pad. There's no joystick-support in the menues, just ingame, right ?

I was unable to navigate the menus with anything but the keyboard if that's what you mean so it seems so

Emubastard

New announcement here:

viewtopic.php?t=7818