DOS Versions Wanted

Bas
Top Contributor

DOS Versions Wanted

Unread post by Bas »

For the VHD generator I'm writing I'm looking to gather as many original MS/IBM DOS versions as I can. I know that MS-DOS was originally distributed through OEM's so this is quite a tall order (I now have 53 OEM-releases of 2.x alone).

I'm looking for DOS 2.x and 3.x floppy images from as many OEM's as possible. I already got the WinworldPC library.

If you have any versions that aren't yet on WinworldPC, please drop me a line.

breiztiger
Top Contributor

Re: DOS Versions Wanted

Unread post by breiztiger »

and can you make a language of dos selection possible ?

sorry i'm french ;-)

CPC-Power Staff
Bas
Top Contributor

Unread post by Bas »

I have one or two French language DOS releases. Non-English versions are hard to find. For example, I have only 1 version of MS-DOS 2.11 for Commodore machines and that's in German. If you have more versions or can point me to them, please do. I can read French so integrating those versions won't be a problem. It's just not the highest priority for me right now. I'd prefer to support one of each major technical revision first from 2.00 up to Win95, and only then spread out "horizontally" so to speak.

ghini

Unread post by ghini »

Multiple languages, probably every release.

https://winworldpc.com/product/ms-dos/1x

Bas
Top Contributor

Unread post by Bas »

Well.. those are the ones I already had, as stated in the starting post. There are plenty of gaps in there. For now I'm basing off IBM PC-DOS 2.00 (earlier ones had no official HDD support) and moving very slowly upward. IBM's is the most stable, documented pedigree of OEM-versions I can find from before MS started doing their own direct to customer releases. I'm still running into tons of tiny pin pricks of differences between legacy documentation, modern documentation, and the actual on-disk situation. Striving for absolute 100% bit-for-bit compatibility is turning out to be quite a challenge, but I want my generator to deliver "museum/archival quality".

ghini

Unread post by ghini »

Sorry totally missed you referencing winworldpc. Well if you already had that then I doubt I have much to offer that you do not already know about. I'm sure you know all the software collections on archive. Stuff like the "Victor Technologies Inc.", Applesauce FDC, and goodoldgaming. But yeah it's a tall order to wade through the hundreds of thousands of entries to find some obscured releases of DOS on archive.