9.7" iPad Retina Screen Perfect for MiSTer, $60 Fully Assembled 😄

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
neogeo81

Re: 9.7" iPad Retina Screen Perfect for MiSTer, $60 Fully Assembled 😄

Unread post by neogeo81 »

I also have to USB C here and they even work over thunderbolt with my macbook seemless.

The one with the lighting is the one to use for thunderbold screen share. Also works for power though.

Hapimp2

Unread post by Hapimp2 »

Hi, I am getting into these displays again and have two from a while ago. The driver board has have one full size HDMI and one mini HDMI. I have a few questions:

• I remember reading that it is best to use a 12V PSU because brightness would otherwise be limited. Can anyone confirm if this is true? And if so, what are the specs/measurements for the barrel jack, besides it being center positive?
  • I would like to flash the Laser Bear firmware on my driver board. I have a Raspberry Pi. Can anyone confirm that this is a good way to proceed? https://github.com/floppes/RTD266xFlash (I read about it in a post in this thread, but am confused since it says 266X but the chip mentioned on Laser Bear is 2556/2556T)
  • I am not sure if I have the RTD266 RTD-2556T (chip is under a heatsink that is glued stuck somehow) and am not able to get the service menu to show using the "power on while holding menu button". Does anyone know of another way I can get this info?

Thanks all, am stoked to dig into this again :-D

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

Be careful about flashing other firmwares on it. The display sold by Laserbear is a different board, as far as I know.

bootsector

Unread post by bootsector »

Hi guys!

I'm about to pull the trigger on this one: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256801503431249.html

What model should I get?

• HDMI VGA input
  • 2xMini HDMI input
  • Type c input
  • 2xMini HDMI TOUCH

I'm looking for the one with lowest display/input lag and better signal compatibility. I don't need VGA, but if that's the model with better performance, I would get it!

Cheers!

bootsector

After reading the thread, I ended up getting the USB-C model. Although the video lag seems a little bit higher if compared to the other ones (as per my understanding), lag is still sub-frame and USB-C for power and also connectivity with PCs is a plus!

Let's see how it goes! :pray:

Link83

Unread post by Link83 »

Does anybody have any suggestions for sellers with stock of the previously recommended 'Ytaland/'Yolanda2015' 196x147mm screen protector?
These used to be available on eBay as mentioned by PistolsAtDawn here:-
viewtopic.php?p=74199#p74199
https://www.ebay.com/itm/284678842499
Unfortunately its been out of stock since August last year :(

I had been considering the 194x146mm screen protector from AliExpress mentioned by KnuckleheadFlow here:-
viewtopic.php?p=63420#p63420
viewtopic.php?p=67991#p67991
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003762212340.html
But the slightly smaller size, and the mixed reviews for the sellers other sizes (Mentioning that they don't always stay adhered to the screen very well?) have been making me unsure.

Or is there another tempered glass screen protector option i'm missing?

<EDIT> Looks like its finally back in stock with the eBay seller :)

bootsector

neogeo81 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:23 pm

I also have to USB C here and they even work over thunderbolt with my macbook seemless.

The one with the lighting is the one to use for thunderbold screen share. Also works for power though.

Did you have to connect another cable for power or just a single USB-C cable to your MacBook?

neogeo81

bootsector wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:02 pm

Did you have to connect another cable for power or just a single USB-C cable to your MacBook?

Just a single one and you get power and video.

Missus

Unread post by Missus »

I found that both ports will work providing power and display when connecting usb-c to a PC, it doesnt need to be in the port with the lightning bolt.

bootsector

Unfortunately I don’t get video when connecting it to my Macbook Air through USB-C. Otherwise it works great on the MiSTer through HDMI and lag is super low: 5ms! 😄

neogeo81

i have a macbook pro and it works for me. did you use the USB C with the Thunderbolt symbol to connect?

bootsector

neogeo81 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:00 am

i have a macbook pro and it works for me. did you use the USB C with the Thunderbolt symbol to connect?

After some research it looks like I need a thunderbolt cable and not a regular USB-C cable. I was using an iPad USB-C cable. What cable did you use?

neogeo81

bootsector wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:34 am

After some research it looks like I need a thunderbolt cable and not a regular USB-C cable. I was using an iPad USB-C cable. What cable did you use?

i used the cable that came with the monitor. didn't you receive a mini-HDMI to HDMI, USB-C and a micro-USB cable with it?

bootsector

neogeo81 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:55 am

i used the cable that came with the monitor. didn't you receive a mini-HDMI to HDMI, USB-C and a micro-USB cable with it?

That did it! It worked with the USB-C cable that came with it!!!!! Thank you!

neogeo81

bootsector wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:44 pm
neogeo81 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:55 am

That did it! It worked with the USB-C cable that came with it!!!!! Thank you!

welcome enjoy!

explosplankton

Unread post by explosplankton »

I'm looking for a good stand, what stand is that in the original post?

Rageypoo

Unread post by Rageypoo »

repente wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:32 pm

Update, I have complained to Aliexpress and they "send me to hell"....
Neither the seller nor Aliexpress are responsible. I have paid 80€ (91 US dollars) in the case of shipping to Spain and thrown in the trash.
The light leakage is scandalous, I can't use the screen...

They tell me to send the product to China if I want a full refund (paying for shipping myself).
Sending to China from Spain something of that volume is more expensive than the item itself....

So gentlemen, I do NOT recommend buying that screen.
It is playing the lottery.

I hope someday I can buy another one from places like Amazon, where there is buyer protection.

I too purchased one and it had some very noticable light bleeding. I contacted the seller no response, had to do the refund process. They will return it for free, so there shouldn't be an issue with that. Overall the housing and parts are extremely cheap, the only quality part is the screen if you manage to find one without the bleeding.

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

explosplankton wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:26 am

I'm looking for a good stand, what stand is that in the original post?

https://www.amazon.nl/-/en/ULANZI-Holde ... B09J8J4HTS

I use this one with my USB-C version and it fits so well it is like it was made for it. In combination with USB-C and HDMI 180-degree adapters:

https://www.amazon.nl/-/en/Cablecc-Oppo ... B0BDZ2RNBJ
https://www.amazon.nl/-/en/Adapter-Semi ... B09KG463G7

Missus

Unread post by Missus »

Link83 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:27 pm

Does anybody have any suggestions for sellers with stock of the previously recommended 'Ytaland/'Yolanda2015' 196x147mm screen protector?
These used to be available on eBay as mentioned by PistolsAtDawn here:-
viewtopic.php?p=74199#p74199
https://www.ebay.com/itm/284678842499
Unfortunately its been out of stock since August last year :(

I had been considering the 194x146mm screen protector from AliExpress mentioned by KnuckleheadFlow here:-
viewtopic.php?p=63420#p63420
viewtopic.php?p=67991#p67991
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003762212340.html
But the slightly smaller size, and the mixed reviews for the sellers other sizes (Mentioning that they don't always stay adhered to the screen very well?) have been making me unsure.

Or is there another tempered glass screen protector option i'm missing?

<EDIT> Looks like its finally back in stock with the eBay seller :)

I got my screen protectors today. they are almost perfect, but like the original posted mentioned (iirc), they are not actually the same size as the screen. there is about 2-4mm on all sides so the best you can do is center it. i probably wont use them and just try to be careful with the screens.

Rageypoo

I got my screen protectors today. they are almost perfect, but like the original posted mentioned (iirc), they are not actually the same size as the screen. there is about 2-4mm on all sides so the best you can do is center it. i probably wont use them and just try to be careful with the screens.

pics? Would like to see!

Rageypoo

do u have a picture of this on yours? would like to see how it looks ty!

Rageypoo

Rageypoo wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:04 pm
repente wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:32 pm

Update, I have complained to Aliexpress and they "send me to hell"....
Neither the seller nor Aliexpress are responsible. I have paid 80€ (91 US dollars) in the case of shipping to Spain and thrown in the trash.
The light leakage is scandalous, I can't use the screen...

They tell me to send the product to China if I want a full refund (paying for shipping myself).
Sending to China from Spain something of that volume is more expensive than the item itself....

So gentlemen, I do NOT recommend buying that screen.
It is playing the lottery.

I hope someday I can buy another one from places like Amazon, where there is buyer protection.

I too purchased one and it had some very noticable light bleeding. I contacted the seller no response, had to do the refund process. They will return it for free, so there shouldn't be an issue with that. Overall the housing and parts are extremely cheap, the only quality part is the screen if you manage to find one without the bleeding.

I wanted to give an update to the backlight bleed issue. I purchased 2 so far from the seller, returning the first one and hoping the second would be better, it was far...far worse. I've also noticed that both screens came with some sort of damage on it, the first one had a bit on the actual metal casing in the bottom right corner, while the second one had noticable scratches on the top left of the protective paper (which is where the light bleed issues were and oh my god were they bad) I can only assume this damage was done before shipping because their packaging has heavy bubble wrapping so I doubt this is shipping damage. When contacting the seller, he initially didn't respond, even after ordering a second monitor. It wasn't untill I gave a 3 star and 2 star review of the screens (with pictures of the damage of course). Only then did he respond, and let me tell you, this seller is not good people. Extremely rude and would not stand behind their products.

I really could not recommend getting the screens from this seller. It's clear that most of them are likely rejected screens that are either failing or will fail soon and didn't pass Apple's QoL so it has been passed off to china. I did return both screens and ordered a third, hoping that this last one will finally be a good one, as others have received decent ones and seem to love them. Definitely purchase at your own risk, and don't even bother asking the seller for assistance, they do not care.

I like the idea of these tiny screens and would like to see some in the future, perhaps from a more reputable source.

Lightwave

Unread post by Lightwave »

Rageypoo wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 pm

I really could not recommend getting the screens from this seller. It's clear that most of them are likely rejected screens that are either failing or will fail soon and didn't pass Apple's QoL so it has been passed off to china. I did return both screens and ordered a third, hoping that this last one will finally be a good one, as others have received decent ones and seem to love them. Definitely purchase at your own risk, and don't even bother asking the seller for assistance, they do not care.

I like the idea of these tiny screens and would like to see some in the future, perhaps from a more reputable source.

At least initially, the screens were surplus iPad 3 (the first iPad ‘retina’ display) screens, which is 12 years old at this point. Apple may have kept some in reserve for repairs, but these most likely haven’t been manufactured in a looong time. It’s possible we may just be hitting the last remaining leftovers (or they have already run out and have switched to something else).

Rageypoo

Lightwave wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 pm

At least initially, the screens were surplus iPad 3 (the first iPad ‘retina’ display) screens, which is 12 years old at this point. Apple may have kept some in reserve for repairs, but these most likely haven’t been manufactured in a looong time. It’s possible we may just be hitting the last remaining leftovers (or they have already run out and have switched to something else).

Maybe. the store listing shows over 10000 are available between the different types, I hope they are surplus and still in good shape.

ChopstickSamurai

Unread post by ChopstickSamurai »

I finally picked one of these up during the recent AliExpress anniversary sale and it arrived yesterday with some serious scratches on the screen, especially on the right side. When it was on it looked okay, and didn't exhibit any of the light leak problems others have had. But I didn't pay for a scratched up screen so I returned it. Not sure if I'll try my luck again or not. This was for the HDMI/VGA input model.

Missus

Unread post by Missus »

You can always try to acquire your own screens from locked/broken ipads and buy just the controller board. This way you have a bit more quality control.

Rageypoo

ChopstickSamurai wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:40 pm

I finally picked one of these up during the recent AliExpress anniversary sale and it arrived yesterday with some serious scratches on the screen, especially on the right side. When it was on it looked okay, and didn't exhibit any of the light leak problems others have had. But I didn't pay for a scratched up screen so I returned it. Not sure if I'll try my luck again or not. This was for the HDMI/VGA input model.

That's so unfortunate. The first one I had was also the VGA one and it did have less bleeding issues, but still more than what I was hoping for. I opted to get the USB-C one next because I figured the thinner tighter casing would = less bleeding. I think a lot of these damaged screens are coming from handling pre-shipping, it just has to be. The packaging seems way too good for them to arrive in such poor conditions. Makes me wonder what is going on in the assembly phase.

Missus

Unread post by Missus »

Rageypoo wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:39 pm

That's so unfortunate. The first one I had was also the VGA one and it did have less bleeding issues, but still more than what I was hoping for. I opted to get the USB-C one next because I figured the thinner tighter casing would = less bleeding. I think a lot of these damaged screens are coming from handling pre-shipping, it just has to be. The packaging seems way too good for them to arrive in such poor conditions. Makes me wonder what is going on in the assembly phase.

well, consider that because this isnt exactly a 'new' item, sellers put these together at the lowest cost possible to make the most profit while trying to seem price competitive. this incentivizes them to use c-grade screen pulls that have not been stored or handled with care.

the chinese sellers also know it is time consuming, difficult and expensive for most people to return goods to china

pulling your own screens from ebay 'junk' is pretty satisfying and can cost less than the 'premade' displays

Rageypoo

Missus wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:43 pm

pulling your own screens from ebay 'junk' is pretty satisfying and can cost less than the 'premade' displays

Which screens? I mean does it matter or do they have to match the ones that are being sold by this store in order to work with the boards?

Missus

Unread post by Missus »

ipad 3 / 4 screens will work with these controllers.
ipad mini 2 screens will too but require an uncommon adapter flex cable