SCUMMVM

SnakeCoils

Re: SCUMMVM

Unread post by SnakeCoils »

Thank you very much! I will try this solutions along some re-arrangements of the USB ports occupation: my best guess is an issue related to the init sequence of various USB devices connected and a slightly long spin-up time of the internal HDD so may happen other devices "steal" the usual "usb0" HDD place. I think that with an SSD or a 2.5" HDD this issue would not occour, at present the HDD is in fact a 3.5" one.

Monos

Unread post by Monos »

Nope. I have an external 2Tb SSD with the same problem. I changed it with some other SSD with different sizes, always the same.

SnakeCoils

Glad to hear I am not the only one with this issue :-) In the mean time I have written to the IronClad Plus support page to inform them about the problem, at present if no other storage devices are connected to the usb ports the only one attached should be always "usb0" or always "usb1", maybe it change depending on cold or warm reboot? I will do some tests to see if I can consistently reproduce the issue.

SnakeCoils

Well, seems I cannot find a consistent way to trigger "usb0" or "usb1" at will: I have tried every combination of power on/ warm reboot / cold reboot but the issue is quite ubiquitous, most of the time the HDD is assigned to "usb1" but sometimes after a reset or a new power up happens to found it as "usb0". Anyway, this is the answer Roberto (the IronClad guy) told me about the usb assignement:

"About the issue I wish I could tell you a solution, but I am afraid only the developer of ScummVM Mister port could fix that. In the Ironclad USB devices are handled just like in the official Mister and using the same controller to ensure maximum compatibility and zero differences, USB devices enumeration is handled by software and only the author can fix that. The thing I would do is writting a message in the "issues" section on his Github page to see if he is willing to fix that.

I also use ScummVM but never noticed this issue bc i have the installation in the main MicroSD, maybe you could pass the ScummVM installation to MicroSD and move core games to the HDD.

I wish I could help you more."

About the "ScummVM_Drive_Fixer" I have found a little typo in the source that prevented it to run, the "slashes" in the dir path were "backslashes" in MS-DOS style, once corrected the script worked but... it did not solved the issue, or maybe I have not understood the way to use it.

I tought a typical scenario was something like this:

• ScummVM fully configured with every game assigned to its correct path (we assume "usb1" for example) and everything works good
  • Suddenly after a reboot/restart of Mister the external HDD is enumerated as "usb0" an nothing in ScummVM is working more
  • Run the "ScummVM_Drive_Fixer" script placed in the same "Script" dir as the ScummVM launcher to correct the paths again
  • Launch ScummVM and everything works as before with all game paths now targeting to "usb0"

Was that the way the fixer script should work?

bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

SnakeCoils wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:46 pm

About the "ScummVM_Drive_Fixer" I have found a little typo in the source that prevented it to run, the "slashes" in the dir path were "backslashes" in MS-DOS style, once corrected the script worked but... it did not solved the issue, or maybe I have not understood the way to use it.

Sorry about the errors :( I did not test it. I went back and fixed it.

SnakeCoils wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:46 pm

I tought a typical scenario was something like this:

• ScummVM fully configured with every game assigned to its correct path (we assume "usb1" for example) and everything works good
  • Suddenly after a reboot/restart of Mister the external HDD is enumerated as "usb0" an nothing in ScummVM is working more
  • Run the "ScummVM_Drive_Fixer" script placed in the same "Script" dir as the ScummVM launcher to correct the paths again
  • Launch ScummVM and everything works as before with all game paths now targeting to "usb0"

Was that the way the fixer script should work?

My idea was to run the ScummVM_Drive_Fixer.sh before ScummVM_2_7_1.sh (or just edit the script to always call it)

To make it work, all games should be installed with paths relative to /tmp/ScummVM_GAMES (which will either point to USB0, USB1, etc...)

you can edit the paths in /media/fat/ScummVM/.config/scummvm/scummvm.ini rather than re-adding all games. I know I have at least 100 installed and that would be tedious:)

If the script is working properly, regardless of USB0 or USB1 /tmp/ScummVM_GAMES should be consistent.

Milspex

Unread post by Milspex »

The same occurs with the minimig core when you have the HDF files on a usb harddrive. That core also saves absolute paths to these folders in the config so when old Misty decided to mount it on USB1 instead of USB0, you have to re-do the config.

It's weird but I've had this USB0/1 issue ever since I got my Mister.

bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

2.8.1 build is ready for testing

remax

Unread post by remax »

bbond007 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:01 pm

Right now when I build ScummVM I have a script that downloads whatever branch specified, adds a MiSTer target option to the configure script, compiles and finally updates my MiSTer_ScummVM repo. It is all very automated and very reliable. I don't modify the .cpp source files, and don't want to start doing so (especially to compensate for flaky edge-case behavior).

Can you elaborate on this ? Cause i would like to compile builds by myself (mainly to add games to the detection table).

On a totally unrelated note, i wanted to report that i obtain a prettier look for the SVM interface by using

Code: Select all

vmode -r 1280 960 rgb16

in the sh file

and

scale_factor=4

in the scummvm.ini

Sumolx

Unread post by Sumolx »

Followed the instructions for install ScummVM but whenever I start the script I continuously get the following error:

/media/fat/Scripts# ./ScummVM_2_7_1.sh 
Setting Video mode...
.... failed!

Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks!

--- EDITED ---

Seems I can only run the script for the Mister Menu and not from SSH... all is fine

RealLarry
Top Contributor

Unread post by RealLarry »

Sumolx wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:18 pm

Followed the instructions for install ScummVM but whenever I start the script I continuously get the following error:

/media/fat/Scripts# ./ScummVM_2_7_1.sh 
Setting Video mode...
.... failed!

Any ideas why this is happening?

I had the same yesterday while updating and testing ScummVM 2.8.1 Turned out that you also have to set video_mode in mister.ini to a suitable screen resolution. Reboot of MiSTer required.

Contributor of tty2oled, author of tty2tft, tty2rpi and update_tty2xxx