Problems Trying to Connect Dualshock Controller & Bluetooth Keyboard

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
Surebrec

Problems Trying to Connect Dualshock Controller & Bluetooth Keyboard

Unread post by Surebrec »

After spending some time away from my MiSTer due to personal/family issues going back to more than a year ago, I've decided to try to get back into it.

I'm having a few problems though trying to get the controllers I have to play nice.

The first is an old PS2 Dualshock 2 controller, which I bought this adapter for (only a few quid so worth a punt)l:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QPF4PK4

When connecting this device though, it doesn't work. Not only that, it prevents other input devices (wired keyboard and mouse) from working.

Is there something I need to do to fix this, or is this simply down to the controller not being compatible?

The second point is trying to connect a wireless bluetooth keyboard.

This is the keyboard I bought for my old PS4 and was trying to get it to pair up, without any success:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B013SL1YXO/

And this is the bluetooth dongle:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07YLDVM6B/

Again, just as with the controller, it's not working.

Is there something I'm missing here? Do I need to do anything in particular to get everything to play nice?

Thanks in advance.

AngelicLiver

Re: Problems Trying to Connect Dualshock Controller & Bluetooth Keyboard

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

The issue with the first adapter could either be a dodgy adapter and/or your USB hub. Are you using an official USB hub or another solution (OTG hub/cable)? Perhaps more importantly; how are you powering this? Which power supply are you using?

The bluetooth could also be related to potential USB issues so I would report back about that first. Are you able to sync bluetooth controllers (PS4 = Hold PS button + option) using this dongle?

Surebrec

AngelicLiver wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:24 am

The issue with the first adapter could either be a dodgy adapter and/or your USB hub. Are you using an official USB hub or another solution (OTG hub/cable)? Perhaps more importantly; how are you powering this? Which power supply are you using?

The bluetooth could also be related to potential USB issues so I would report back about that first. Are you able to sync bluetooth controllers (PS4 = Hold PS button + option) using this dongle?

This is the USB hub I'm using:

Sx4X48k.jpeg
Sx4X48k.jpeg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 849 times

This is the power supply:

Kun5NPz.jpeg
Kun5NPz.jpeg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 849 times

And this is the message I get when trying to pair:

PLBlKaa.jpeg
PLBlKaa.jpeg (537.39 KiB) Viewed 849 times

Using the PS4 controller through USB works, but the button layout is a bit screwy. Trying to pair it through the pairing method fails.

AngelicLiver

OK, thanks. Are you using a splitter with that power supply to power the DE10-Nano and the USB hub? The power supply should be more than capable. Are you remembering to map the controller in Main before using it in cores?

Bluetooth adapter looks like it is not being found, hence you can't sync devices to it. It could be an unsupported chipset or an issue with the bluetooth adapter itself. Refer to this for known good adapters.

[Edit]

I just did I double-take at the USB hub picture. If your bluetooth adapter is in that port, it won't do anything. It's not actually for USB devices, it's another input for power. Plug the bluetooth adapter into a different port.

Surebrec

AngelicLiver wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:49 pm

OK, thanks. Are you using a splitter with that power supply to power the DE10-Nano and the USB hub? The power supply should be more than capable. Are you remembering to map the controller in Main before using it in cores?

Bluetooth adapter looks like it is not being found, hence you can't sync devices to it. It could be an unsupported chipset or an issue with the bluetooth adapter itself. Refer to this for known good adapters.

[Edit]

I just did I double-take at the USB hub picture. If your bluetooth adapter is in that port, it won't do anything. It's not actually for USB devices, it's another input for power. Plug the bluetooth adapter into a different port.

Yeah, I was using a splitter because that's what came with the power supply.

I did manage to get the controller sorted, I think.

I switched the bluetooth adapter to another USB port as you suggested, and it now detects the keyboard. Although it sees it, it still can't pair.

3QQ1EfU.jpeg
3QQ1EfU.jpeg (565.75 KiB) Viewed 848 times
AngelicLiver

According to Logitech's docs this keyboard requires onscreen passkey authentication in order to pair which would explain why you're getting that pair error. There's a thread here that goes through all the steps necessary to get it to work.

Surebrec

AngelicLiver wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:40 pm

According to Logitech's docs this keyboard requires onscreen passkey authentication in order to pair which would explain why you're getting that pair error. There's a thread here that goes through all the steps necessary to get it to work.

Thanks for the link.

I think I came across this page the last time I tried to get things working, but couldn't get past this bit:

Connected over SSH to the MiSTer and run bluetoothctl

How do I do this?

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Surebrec wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:39 pm

Thanks for the link.

I think I came across this page the last time I tried to get things working, but couldn't get past this bit:

How do I do this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq_ALZh86js

Surebrec

FPGA64 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:45 pm
Surebrec wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:39 pm

Thanks for the link.

How do I do this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq_ALZh86js

Thanks for that. Still having problems doing this though. Following the steps in the video gets me to the point where I have to open and connect. From that point on, it hangs and times out. Am I missing something glaringly obvious here?

Apologies if I am, but this is all new to me.

Surebrec

Ok. So an update...

With the help of a friend, I've managed to get to the point where I use the bluetoothctl command, and then "scan on"., but from there onwards, it#s telling me that the device is unavailable when I try to progress further.

Am I missing something glaringly obvious here? I've made sure to enter the mac address correctly, and pressed Fn+P to make sure it's in the correct mode, but it's still fighting me every step of the way.

It seems like I'm taking one step forward and then one or two steps backwards.