9.7" iPad Retina Screen Perfect for MiSTer, $60 Fully Assembled 😄

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
Rageypoo

Re: 9.7" iPad Retina Screen Perfect for MiSTer, $60 Fully Assembled 😄

Unread post by Rageypoo »

Missus wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:24 pm

ipad 3 / 4 screens will work with these controllers.
ipad mini 2 screens will too but require an uncommon adapter flex cable

If I were to put it together myself, would you recommend any changes, or build it with the same components as the aliexpress seller? (just curious if you guys have a better solution for the speakers, they are so very quiet)

Missus

Unread post by Missus »

Rageypoo wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:30 am
Missus wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:24 pm

ipad 3 / 4 screens will work with these controllers.
ipad mini 2 screens will too but require an uncommon adapter flex cable

If I were to put it together myself, would you recommend any changes, or build it with the same components as the aliexpress seller? (just curious if you guys have a better solution for the speakers, they are so very quiet)

I'm pulling optical audio from my MMS and not bothering with the screen speakers.

Rageypoo

Unread post by Rageypoo »

Wanted to give a final update to the screens I ordered. The third one has the same backlight bleeding issues as the others. Out of all of them, the least was the first one (with the HDMI/VGA adapter) but was clearly mishandled, same with the 2nd one came damaged out of the box. The third one came clean, no visible damage. The menu buttons were not nearly as good as the 2nd screen, however I did notice this 3rd one has noticablely less input lag (the 2nd one was really noticable and terrible) SO I'm not sure what that is all about.

All of them had their flaws, but I think if the first one didn't have damage, I would have been happy with that one, oh well. Was hoping 3rd time's the charm but really they were all riddled with problems. I'd like to think it's because the screens are older, but I am still using a dell u2410 and it's pushing 15 years old, running every single day for 10+ hours with zero backlight bleed.

I will likely try to find a locked screen and salvage it for parts and try that route, not because it will be cheaper, but because I can inspect the screens beforehand to see if there's bleeding. Buying these from overseas is a gamble, and after talking with the seller, they don't back their products.

Missus

Unread post by Missus »

It might be worth parting everything out and see if the controllers are actually different. then at least when you get your good screens you can put the best controller and housing with the best screen.

sucks you had to go through three!

PistolsAtDawn

Unread post by PistolsAtDawn »

The glass screen protectors that I previously recommended are available again!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284678842499?var=586327268688

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

I received my screen protectors a few days ago. Really great that they were available again.

PistolsAtDawn

Unread post by PistolsAtDawn »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:15 pm

I received my screen protectors a few days ago. Really great that they were available again.

I thought they'd be out of stock permanently. I was on eBay for unrelated reasons and saw a suggestion to buy more. I have all I need, but I wanted to share that info here since several people have asked about them after they went out of stock. I'm glad you were able to get them!

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

PistolsAtDawn wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:05 pm
LamerDeluxe wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:15 pm

I thought they'd be out of stock permanently. I was on eBay for unrelated reasons and saw a suggestion to buy more. I have all I need, but I wanted to share that info here since several people have asked about them after they went out of stock. I'm glad you were able to get them!

Thank you so much for the heads-up! I had checked a couple of times but I also started to think they were not coming back.

I recently had a food stain on the original plastic surface and it was an absolute nightmare to remove, it got way worse initially. It also seems very easy to scratch. I have brought my display to a couple of events, so it will be very nice to have some extra protection on it.

cybotron

Unread post by cybotron »

Hello! I just noticed that this screen is unavailable via this link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001689746001.html

Has anyone bought these from another AliExpress seller?

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

None of these seem to be available for the Netherlands anymore, for some reason. A friend was interested in getting one as well, but that seems to be tricky now.

Missus

Unread post by Missus »

i bought extra screen protectors that i dont think ill use. Im located in the states but would consider shipping if buyer paid.

Geords

Unread post by Geords »

Does the 2x mini hdmi version still support 50hz?

I have vga version bought a few years and it is 60hz only, but I'm keen to pick a 50 hz unit - if someone can speak to the chances of still being able to pick up a model which supports that.

landsat

Unread post by landsat »

Hello,

I'm using many iPad retina screen since many months, actually for me the best controller is this one :

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32979840359.html (5v micro usb power input, hdmi / mini hdmi input) testing it with mister laggy i got 2 or 3ms lag.

Some photos running neogeo and gameboy core.

IMG-8203.jpg
IMG-8203.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 16 times
IMG-8202.jpg
IMG-8202.jpg (1.45 MiB) Viewed 16 times

It's a fan project SF1 Mini case => https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjuEUvLP-MI

https://x.com/landsat77/status/1783238013142598111