Nintendo Style Controllers

thorr
Top Contributor

Nintendo Style Controllers

Unread post by thorr »

I bought both the "Retro Fighters Brawler 64 Wireless Bluetooth NSO Edition" and the "Retro-bit Tribute 64 2.4 GHz Wireless Controller V2", and I am happy to report that both are great controllers, and they both work at the same time as player 1 and player 2 without having to do anything fancy.

So far the advantage of the Brawler 64 is that I like the way it feels in my hands better, although I quickly get used to the Tribute 64, so it is not a big issue. It also is Bluetooth so it does not require a USB port. It works with both X-input and D-input mode. It supports rumble.

The advantage of the Tribute 64 is that in addition to 2.4GHz wireless, it also works with a real Nintendo 64 console. I had to first hook up the USB dongle to my Windows PC before I could get it to pair properly with the controller, and I put it in X- or D-input mode. Also, I tried it with my real N64 and it works great, and the rumble works which is nice. I also have an older N64 version of the Brawler 64 that does not have rumble, so the Tribute 64's rumble is a nice additional feature if I want rumble for a wireless controller on my real N64.

In summary, both controllers have rumble support. The Brawler 64 is bigger and more comfortable to hold, but some may prefer the feel of the analog stick and front buttons better on the Tribute 64. Neither is bad in this regard, and I am happy using either. My suggestion is if you also have a real N64, get the Tribute 64 so you can have additional controllers for it. If you are just getting a controller for the MiSTer, then either option will work fine and are almost equal, and I will be keeping both so I have 2 players worth of controllers for the MiSTer.

Other options that I know of but haven't tried are the Nintendo branded "Nintendo Switch Online Nintendo 64 Controller" that is shaped like the original N64 controller, several third party USB N64 controllers that look like the original, and several real N64 controller to USB adapters such as those from raphnet.

PistolsAtDawn

Re: Nintendo Style Controllers

Unread post by PistolsAtDawn »

I have a NSO N64 Controller, and it works great once you get the updated linux kernel in place that has the driver needed for it (available on Discord). Prior to that, the controller will "twitch" random input making mapping it and using it in games difficult. I can observe this happening on a different linux PC as well, so it's something specific to the controller. I think perhaps its default mode is Direct Input instead of X Input because it almost works properly without the driver, but those random inputs can screw with things like the music audio level in Mario Kart 64. The driver also sets better calibration values for the analog stick so that it's not as sensitive.

These things are stupidly difficult to get for MSRP, go out of stock within hours of being available, and have the same quality analog stick as the real N64 controllers had. This means that they'll fall apart eventually too - quickly if you play a lot of Mario Party or any other game that requires you to rapidly rotate the stick. I'm also not impressed with what seems to be a relatively weak bluetooth chip in it. Other bluetooth controllers that I use are generally fine, but I have to move my MiSTer closer to me to use the NSO N64 controller without it missing inputs.

Personally I think that I would be as happy if not happier with either of the two controllers that thorr reviewed above. IMO the main thing an N64 controller really needs is the four C buttons as buttons. Using the right analog stick on modern gamepads just doesn't work that well in all situations because the C buttons were often used for non-camera inputs, and you get get accidental cross-inputs from the analog sticks when you have that mapped to the C buttons.

nonono

Unread post by nonono »

I've ordered one of these kits. Comes with a replacement board, rumble/battery Pak with extra buttons and a replacement hall-sensor analog stick.

Standard 8bitdo connections via Bluetooth, so it'll work fine with MiSTer (I hope..!)

16_8a12580a-0b86-4853-a010-461230377d4e.png
16_8a12580a-0b86-4853-a010-461230377d4e.png (1.11 MiB) Viewed 10577 times

https://shop.8bitdo.com/products/8bitdo ... controller

I got mine from the official 8bitdo store on AliExpress - the full pack sells out quickly

Will update once it arrives, does anyone else have one they've installed and tried with MiSTer?

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Got mine today. Did the Upgrade and it works fine in windows so as its X input it should be fine in Mister

Ashfall

Unread post by Ashfall »

Does the 8bitdo conversion kit also work wired or only bluetooth?

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Ashfall wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:43 pm

Bluetooth only

chopperthedog

Unread post by chopperthedog »

Works fine over usb wired with MiSTer.

Nice kit, I like the lower shorter throw stick vs. the original. Thought I had a bad board at first, couldn't program camera up and left, wasn't til I plugged controller into windows box and saw that the camera buttons are handled as an analog stick. So in MiSTer controller set up, make sure to set analog stick 2 with camera buttons.

good day.

Eros

Unread post by Eros »

So I have a USB wired 'Saffun' controller - it works perfectly (as one might expect) WITH ONE EXCEPTION! That exception is that the analogue stick appears to reach 100% at about 70-80% through its rotation. So sometimes games can feel a bit more twitchy than id say the original was like.

There is a wireless controller by Saffun, which, has been reported to work really well, but i don't own one so i can test the analogue stick travel vs when it actually maxes out.

That wired model was only CAD$18 so im not going to complain too much haha. Also i may be able to mod it.

virtuali

Unread post by virtuali »

Eros wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:40 pm

That exception is that the analogue stick appears to reach 100% at about 70-80% through its rotation. So sometimes games can feel a bit more twitchy than id say the original was like.

Are you using the latest unstable Mister ? There are some joystick fixes specific for the N64, and in previous versions, my 8Bitdo SF30 had exactly the same problem, now its range is basically identical to the original one, tried with the N64 joystick test.

fenderc01

Unread post by fenderc01 »

Eros wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:40 pm

So I have a USB wired 'Saffun' controller - it works perfectly (as one might expect) WITH ONE EXCEPTION! That exception is that the analogue stick appears to reach 100% at about 70-80% through its rotation. So sometimes games can feel a bit more twitchy than id say the original was like.

There is a wireless controller by Saffun, which, has been reported to work really well, but i don't own one so i can test the analogue stick travel vs when it actually maxes out.

That wired model was only CAD$18 so im not going to complain too much haha. Also i may be able to mod it.

I had a similar USB controller to yours, although it was a different brand. The stick maxed out at about half tilt. Even with the unstable MiSTer that fixes the range of the controller, I had the same problem. I'm assuming all these cheap controllers come from the same factory, just branded differently.

Anyways, I ended up returning it and getting the Saffun wireless controller (although it's an unbranded one). Works way better! I found some new ones on eBay from a reputable seller for a little cheaper than Amazon. Analog works great. I tested on Super Mario 64 and some racing games. Rumble works well too, but you have to put it in Xinput mode (hold Start+B until it changes to two lights).

djsquare

Unread post by djsquare »

chopperthedog wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:02 pm

Works fine over usb wired with MiSTer.

Nice kit, I like the lower shorter throw stick vs. the original. Thought I had a bad board at first, couldn't program camera up and left, wasn't til I plugged controller into windows box and saw that the camera buttons are handled as an analog stick. So in MiSTer controller set up, make sure to set analog stick 2 with camera buttons.

good day.

Man, I thought my kit was messed up too. Thank you for that bit of information I was starting to go crazy. Now everything seems to work ok except rumble doesn't seem to work for me, does it work for you?

EvilRyu

Unread post by EvilRyu »

Has anyone had any luck with getting rumble to work on a variety of controllers? All of mine do not vibrate at all.

RAK4TW

Unread post by RAK4TW »

EvilRyu wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:38 am

Has anyone had any luck with getting rumble to work on a variety of controllers? All of mine do not vibrate at all.

The Dual Shock 4 rumble works for me

rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

Speaking of rumble, does the Tribute 64 with the N64 plug work with rumble over SNAC?

metalfacemark

Unread post by metalfacemark »

EvilRyu wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:38 am

was rumble not something that came a bit later with the pack, so not all games support it.

https://nintendo.fandom.com/wiki/List_o ... ak_support

Bristles

Unread post by Bristles »

To anyone with a Retrofighters Brawler64,
How do you map the controls in the Mister main Joypad util ?
All I can do is get d-pad, thumbstick, a-button, b-button, and the triggers to work, no other buttons work, so I can't select anything for "Select", and "Start". Also, do you just skip the C-buttons ? Because the Joypad util doesn't have anyway of seeing those.
I have tested this in wireless, and wired mode. Using very latest unstable Mister build + lastest N64 build.

Edit: My Bluetooth adapter has packed in, I just noticed that the LED that continually blinks when it's working, has stopped, and no joy plugging it in my PC. So, I have ordered an adapter that is on the official list of working adapters - the ZEXMTE Long Range USB Bluetooth 5.0 Adapter.
For now, I plugged the Brawler64 into my Mister using the supplied USB cable, and it works perfectly, including C-buttons. But, no rumble in any game I have tested. Can anyone with a Brawler64 confirm if they get rumble or not ? Many thanks.

padawan

Unread post by padawan »

Hi guys,

I am using these controllers: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C98MGV5G

They are basically a clone of the NSO N64 controllers with 2.4Ghz.

I haven't used them too much yet, but Mario 64, Mario Kart 64 and F-Zero played perfectly fine when I tried them on the Mister. The rumble functionality I still have to try out.

There is not too much information about these.

Here's two youtube videos reviewing them:

2 More links with recommendations:

If you have any questions, let me know! Hope this proves helpful!

Morfious

Unread post by Morfious »

Bristles wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:41 pm

To anyone with a Retrofighters Brawler64,
How do you map the controls in the Mister main Joypad util ?
All I can do is get d-pad, thumbstick, a-button, b-button, and the triggers to work, no other buttons work, so I can't select anything for "Select", and "Start". Also, do you just skip the C-buttons ? Because the Joypad util doesn't have anyway of seeing those.
I have tested this in wireless, and wired mode. Using very latest unstable Mister build + lastest N64 build.

Edit: My Bluetooth adapter has packed in, I just noticed that the LED that continually blinks when it's working, has stopped, and no joy plugging it in my PC. So, I have ordered an adapter that is on the official list of working adapters - the ZEXMTE Long Range USB Bluetooth 5.0 Adapter.
For now, I plugged the Brawler64 into my Mister using the supplied USB cable, and it works perfectly, including C-buttons. But, no rumble in any game I have tested. Can anyone with a Brawler64 confirm if they get rumble or not ? Many thanks.

I don't believe these controllers have built in rumble.

Does your start button work correctly?

I have the discontinued USB Brawler64 and when I hit the start button it resets the joystick mapping program (acts as a hardwired menu/OSD button). I managed to get around this since the controller has 2 Z buttons and I can map start to the second Z button. (I also learned that the analog stick press can act like a button press Think L3/R3 on PS or Xbox controller.)

My current setup uses L3 (analog stick press as start) and both Z buttons mapped to the same thing courtesy of the remap feature built into MiSTer.

chocomochino

Unread post by chocomochino »

I can confirm Brawler 64 Wireless working on the duo Gamecube +n64 raphnet adapter BUT you have to update firmware on the raphnet adapter to 3.6.1

replic_ant

Unread post by replic_ant »

Guys, I'm looking to get the Brawler 64 or the Nintendo NSO N64 controller for use with the core. I already purchased the wrong Brawler 64 wired gamepad which doesn't have the USB connection ( :roll: ), so I just need some help clarifying exactly which version I need with a USB connection.

Does the Brawler 64 NSO Wireless Bluetooth version come with a USB cable/connection in the box?

Same question as for the Nintendo NSO N64 controller? I asked a seller on eBay and he had no idea...

I just want to plug and play straight into my USB hub without needing to buy another cable or adapter etc.

Thanks for any help!

edr

Unread post by edr »

replic_ant wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:38 pm

Same question as for the Nintendo NSO N64 controller? I asked a seller on eBay and he had no idea...

I just want to plug and play straight into my USB hub without needing to buy another cable or adapter etc.

Don't know about the Brawler, I have the Nintendo NSO 64 but didn't remember the cable so I checked here:
https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/produ ... ontroller/
"Rechargeable Battery – Use the included USB A-C cable to charge the controller"

If you're planning to play the Nintendo one with cable connected note that latency is tested as worse w/cable here:
https://rpubs.com/misteraddons/inputlatency

Nin NSO 64 Latency.png
Nin NSO 64 Latency.png (35.03 KiB) Viewed 940 times

BT latency is not great, cabled even worse.

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

replic_ant wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:38 pm

Guys, I'm looking to get the Brawler 64 or the Nintendo NSO N64 controller for use with the core. I already purchased the wrong Brawler 64 wired gamepad which doesn't have the USB connection ( :roll: ), so I just need some help clarifying exactly which version I need with a USB connection.

Does the Brawler 64 NSO Wireless Bluetooth version come with a USB cable/connection in the box?

Thanks for any help!

The latest Brawler 64's are designed for wireless use. There is a now discontinued USB edition that doesn't seem to have great reviews. https://www.amazon.com/Retro-Fighters-B ... B082YVH88Q If you get the NSO Bluetooth edition, you don't need any USB ports because you just use Bluetooth like you would with a DualShock controller. It also supports rumble. I have that one and the Tribute and I like them both. I also have the older Brawler 64 that has wireless dongles for USB and for the N64 with no rumble and like that one too.

replic_ant

Unread post by replic_ant »

Thanks for the replies, I was aware of the wired latency issue with the Nintendo NSO N64 controller. I just really like the fact it's the original shape.

I think I might go for the Brawler 64 NSO bluetooth version.

@thorr Does the Brawler bluetooth version come with everything I need to connect it up with the MiSTer? I've seen some reviews on YouTube saying you need to buy a bluetooth dongle/receiver? Is there a specific one I need to buy? This is why I prefer wired controllers, as it's just plug and play straight out the box.

Edit: It looks as though the Brawler Bluetooth version comes with a USB charge cable, and can be connected directly that way. At least from the reviews on Retro Fighters website.

edr

Unread post by edr »

replic_ant wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:00 pm

I've seen some reviews on YouTube saying you need to buy a bluetooth dongle/receiver? Is there a specific one I need to buy? This is why I prefer wired controllers, as it's just plug and play straight out the box.

If you ever want to go bluetooth you'd need to get a usb bluetooth dongle, for ex. one of these https://mister-devel.github.io/MkDocs_M ... bluetooth/

I've used the bluetooth ASUS, Edimax, and one based on the CSR8510 chipset, they all work fine. I don't recommend combo (Wi-Fi + bluetooth in one) adapters bc for the Nintendo N64 NSO controller they require re-pairing it at each boot for some reason, maybe the issue will be fixed in the future but who knows.

16Bittt

Unread post by 16Bittt »

The official Nintendo 64 wireless controller (Switch Online) paired with the 8Bitdo wireless adapter is the best option. The 8Bitdo wireless adapter is extremely important since it provides a far superior connection compared to any generic Bluetooth adapter.
using it on CRT ,I notice no latency at all.

Other than that, the Retrobit Tribute 64 is also a decent choice.

16Bittt

Unread post by 16Bittt »

replic_ant wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:00 pm

Thanks for the replies, I was aware of the wired latency issue with the Nintendo NSO N64 controller. I just really like the fact it's the original shape.

I think I might go for the Brawler 64 NSO bluetooth version.

@thorr Does the Brawler bluetooth version come with everything I need to connect it up with the MiSTer? I've seen some reviews on YouTube saying you need to buy a bluetooth dongle/receiver? Is there a specific one I need to buy? This is why I prefer wired controllers, as it's just plug and play straight out the box.

I highly recommend 8Bitdo Wireless adapter instead on ANY generic bluetooth USB adapter.
I've had dozens of USB bluetooth dongles,the 8Bitdo is just very different and provides much more reliable connection, has a button to easily sync and no messing system setting is needed.it's just better.

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

16Bittt wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:23 am

I highly recommend 8Bitdo Wireless adapter instead on ANY generic bluetooth USB adapter.
I've had dozens of USB bluetooth dongles,the 8Bitdo is just very different and provides much more reliable connection, has a button to easily sync and no messing system setting is needed.it's just better.

Interesting. The downside is it is one per controller, so if you have two players, you need two adapters. I use the Asus bluetooth adapter and have no issues.

16Bittt

Unread post by 16Bittt »

thorr wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:01 pm
16Bittt wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:23 am

Interesting. The downside is it is one per controller, so if you have two players, you need two adapters. I use the Asus bluetooth adapter and have no issues.

The 8Bitdo adapters don't work like conventional bluetooth dongles,the 8Bitdo adapter itself handles the pairing and shows itself to the system as a controller.
Yes you'll need one for each controller.that's the only negative.

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

In order to get an official N64 Switch controller, you have to own a switch which I don't. I would have to ask a friend to order it for me. That's annoying. I get it though. Nintendo doesn't want it used for emulators.

virtuali

Unread post by virtuali »

thorr wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:57 pm

In order to get an official N64 Switch controller, you have to own a switch which I don''t

Not necessarily, the only requirement to order the N64 controller is having an active NSO subscription with the "Expansion pack", but you can create a Nintendo account from a PC and subscribe to it, the only need for a Switch console, is you need to connect it at least once to download games, but not just for ordering the controller. You can also cancel the subscription as soon as you received the controller, so it won't renew.

Sure, it's a bit convoluted and on the expensive side (even if you cancel immediately, you still pay a year for no reason other than getting the controller), so it might be easier to just ask a friend who has a Switch. But it must be someone not interested in the service or the controller, because there's an overall limit to ordering up to max 4 controllers per account.