What Are the Reasons to Own a MiSTer Without a CRT?

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
Longtime4321

Re: What Are the Reasons to Own a MiSTer Without a CRT?

Unread post by Longtime4321 »

As someone who runs Linux and hates Retroarch, emulators can often be a pain to setup. The MiSTer being plug and play is really nice.
Also, being able to fit in my hoodie pocket is really nice. On days that I don't have anything going on I'll bring it around and hook it up at school. The teachers love it

Retro-Nerd

Unread post by Retro-Nerd »

I also find it amusing that some here buy the Mister, bang on about accuracy, and low lag, then go and buy a stupid LCD monitor with it's own lag, and a tech that was never meant for these old games

Even the "stupiest" LCD monitors have Freensync support now (they are dirt cheap these days, get one i.e. from LG). With VRR enabled (which triggers low latency boost mode) in the mister.ini you get app. 2ms display lag, hardly bad (compared to CRTs).

Hodor

Unread post by Hodor »

Longtime4321 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:24 pm

As someone who runs Linux and hates Retroarch, emulators can often be a pain to setup. The MiSTer being plug and play is really nice.
Also, being able to fit in my hoodie pocket is really nice. On days that I don't have anything going on I'll bring it around and hook it up at school. The teachers love it

Retroarch is a pain in the ass itself. Fortunately there are other fine options to choose from.

PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

Bristles wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:32 am

I also find it amusing that some here buy the Mister, bang on about accuracy, and low lag, then go and buy a stupid LCD monitor with it's own lag, and a tech that was never meant for these old games.

well, i play on an LED monitor and i can beat kaizo super mario levels (games that even people with a CRT have trouble with) so i dont think the technology has any limitations with input lag these days. at least not to a degree where you cant be really good at playing retro games without a CRT.

i know what you mean tho about CRTs. the way the screen is glowing past the scanlines, the bloom, motion clarity, and that low hum of 60/50hz is very nostalgic and has a special place in a lot of peoples memories. no doubt