Groovy_MiSTer Core

Quark999

Re: Groovy_MiSTer Core

Unread post by Quark999 »

psakhis wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:54 pm

Do you enabled mister on mednafen settings? Always when i uploaded a new test build, Mednafen it's the first one.

Yes, Mister is enabled in Mednafen - the config from the test build has it enabled anyway so I just had to supply the IP. It communicates, because the screen goes black, but it behaves like the older GroovyMister builds.

psakhis
Core Developer

Unread post by psakhis »

New Retroarch build with a lot of new features (rgui, hardware cores, inputs..), thanks to @Calamity.

https://github.com/psakhis/Groovy_MiSTe ... s/20240427

seastalker

Unread post by seastalker »

psakhis wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:36 pm
seastalker wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:34 pm

Just tried with "MiSTerCast_1_01_New_Lz4_Test.zip" and am getting the same results again - crashes program and note in red [in previous post above]

I think this error "DxgiOutput1->DuplicateOutput failed: -2005270524 Failed to initialize video capture" is related if you have 2 gpus.

On the PC I'm running it from, the motherboard has built in video, but yes I'm actually using a gfx card. I haven't had the issue with other programs that just always used the add-on card. I don't know why MiSTerCast would default to anything else, but there doesn't seem to be a settings option in the program to change it either. Anyone know of a solution?

garou81

Unread post by garou81 »

Is USBIP required to get controls to work?

psakhis
Core Developer

Unread post by psakhis »

garou81 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:10 pm

Is USBIP required to get controls to work?

Nops.

garou81

Unread post by garou81 »

Thanks got it working. Was getting a black screen until I changed the groovy_mister file to just MIsTer. When I added "[Groovy] groovy mister=main" to the mister file I got an ini error. From there I had to set my jamma interface (Irken jamma expander) to joystick mode the results have been inconsistent.
So in conclusion I would like to say thank you @Psakhis for developing this.

MiSTer Consoles

Unread post by MiSTer Consoles »

I've finally got GroovyMAME and Groovy RA to display on my CRT along with sound. I'm not sure how to get my controller to work through MiSTer though. Do the buttons need to be defined in the frontend programs, should they be defined in the MiSTer menu, or both?

psakhis
Core Developer

Unread post by psakhis »

MiSTer Consoles wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:56 pm

I've finally got GroovyMAME and Groovy RA to display on my CRT along with sound. I'm not sure how to get my controller to work through MiSTer though. Do the buttons need to be defined in the frontend programs, should they be defined in the MiSTer menu, or both?

Both.
On core you define your button mapping and use that for programs.

• GroovyMame TAB Settings (joystickprovider mister on your mame.ini)
  • Retroarch Menu Settings -> Input -> Port 1/2 Controller (input_joypad_driver = "mister" on retroarch.cfg)
MiSTer Consoles

Unread post by MiSTer Consoles »

psakhis wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:07 pm

Both.

• Retroarch Menu Settings -> Input -> Port 1/2 Controller (input_joypad_driver = "mister" on retroarch.cfg)

Thanks! I just gave this a try in GroovyMAME with my Buffalo SNES style USB controller. I defined the D-pad/buttons in Groovy MiSTer. Then I opened up the input settings in GM and tried to define them there. For some reason both the "Up" and "Down" directions on the controller are registering as "Down" in GM. I've never had any problems using this controller in MiSTer before. It works fine in all the menus. Do you think this is an issue with communication between the two systems?

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

psakhis wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:07 pm

Do the buttons need to be defined in the frontend programs, should they be defined in the MiSTer menu, or both?

Both.

I was also wondering about this. Does this mean that analog triggers aren't supported because they aren't on the MiSTer? Thanks in advance.

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

Just got a chance to try this. To answer my question, there is currently no analog controller support. I know that on the Linux side, the MiSTer can see the analog triggers, but the MiSTer main menu doesn't ask about them. I think on the core side, this might be possible to include. I tried it with Outrun in Mame (the MiSTer Outrun core doesn't currently support analog triggers the last time I checked). In Groovy when I defined the joystick buttons, I defined left and right with the analog stick, and up and down as the triggers. When I went to Mame to define the inputs, it saw my left/right and trigger presses as Joystick 1 Hat directions which are digital. Hopefully in the future, every function on an Xbox controller will be supported including analog and rumble passthrough, but that may not be possible. It's not the end of the world if this never can be supported because I can use USB direct into the PC.

psakhis
Core Developer

Unread post by psakhis »

I added on last experimental build support for analogs but not for analog triggers.
I will check this feature.

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

Awesome, thanks so much!

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

Can anyone get a stable picture in California Speed in Mame? I tried two different TV's and different custom resolutions, but the picture keeps blipping out with red blotches and occasionally a completely black screen. It is almost as if there is too much information being sent over the network for it to handle or something. It looks fine on the PC window. Thanks!

Edit: Mostly solved this one by putting the following in my calspeed.ini file:
modeline "256x224" 5.45118 256 266 298 342 224 237 240 263 -hsync -vsync
throttle 1
mister_fd_margin 2.0

I still get red flickers when the screen changes. The key was the mister_fd_margin, but 3.0 is not any better. I may play with the resolution further, but it looks decent.

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

Also, Star Wars doesn't work anymore for me with my NTSC TV (I get a black screen). Previously I was able to put these into my ini file and use my PC's audio:
monitor ntsc
throttle 1
syncrefresh 0

If I change syncrefresh to 1, it works but it is too fast. Did something change with the new version so this no longer works with syncrefresh 0?

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

Spy Hunter is another issue. It is running way too fast. I am not complaining, just informing.

Maybe there should be a "catchall" option that allows us to use the MiSTer with a specific video mode and doesn't try to do the GroovyMame syncing. So for example, I could set up a 640x480i@60Hz modeline, set the catchall option, and it would broadcast to match like the window that is on the PC screen that doesn't have the native refresh rate. This would allow all those games that have flakey issues to just work with the video mode and refresh rate of our choosing. This would fix Star Wars, Spy Hunter, California Speed, other vector games, etc.

As an example, I was able to get Star Wars working even with MiSTer sound by using regular Mame with MiSTerCast. It would be nice if this was built in as an option for GroovyMiSTer Mame, etc. with less lag than MiSTerCast.

Calamity

Unread post by Calamity »

throttle 1, syncrefresh 0 still works for me for Starwars/Spy Hunter.

Also, mister_interlaced_fb 0 helps eliminating the interlace artifacts when disabling syncrefresh.

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

Calamity wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 6:07 pm

Also, mister_interlaced_fb 0 helps eliminating the interlace artifacts when disabling syncrefresh.

Thank you for checking! That is strange. I have two different MiSTer's with two different TV's and the both show a black screen. I must be missing another setting somewhere. I reset all my settings when I was having issues at one point. I will test with the mister_interlaced_fb 0 setting as well when I am home from work.

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

Calamity wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 6:07 pm

I figured out the problem, and now California Speed, Spy Hunter and Star Wars work. In the core menu, I needed to change Volatile Framebuffer to Off. Thanks again for your help!