Anyone tried the 'xow' Linux driver for the Xbox One Wireless Dongle on MiSTer?

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
movisman

Anyone tried the 'xow' Linux driver for the Xbox One Wireless Dongle on MiSTer?

Unread post by movisman »

Hi there!

I haven't purchased a DE10-Nano or any extras as of yet, but i'm doing some research and thinking about picking one up to play around with, along with the USB hub PCB and probably a 128mb memory module.

Currently i'm running Ubuntu 18.04 Server on a tiny Lenovo USFF desktop with RetroPie sat on top. It works great. Controller wise I have 2 Xbox One Controllers, and although they work ok over Bluetooth, using the official Xbox One Wireless Dongle is way more reliable.

This driver:
https://github.com/medusalix/xow

Is a Linux user mode driver for the Xbox One wireless dongle. And for me, it works absolutely great for me on Ubuntu and RetroPie even though it's an ongoing WIP. It is the most reliable 'wireless' setup i've had for controllers so far. Previously i've used Bluetooth for everything and although generally it was generally ok, randomly it would play up. Using the dongle is preferred.

Anyway, is there any reason this driver cannot be installed on the linux OS which sits behind MiSTer?

On my RetroPie Ubuntu instance, I built the driver by following the instructions on the xow Github page (linked above):

git clone https://github.com/medusalix/xow
make BUILD=RELEASE
sudo make install
sudo systemctl enable xow
sudo systemctl start xow

And it works great. Controllers pair straight away, they are remembered, and no problems whatsoever. If I buy a DE10-Nano do you think this may work on MiSTer? Has anyone tried it?

Thanks!
Lisko

Re: Anyone tried the 'xow' Linux driver for the Xbox One Wireless Dongle on MiSTer?

Unread post by Lisko »

Unless it's not already in mister you could do it but not as straightforward, I think. The linux on mister doesn't contain developers tools or compilators so you can't compile the driver on mister itself, but you'll have to use the toolchain on a pc to cross compile the driver and then embed it in mister rootfs. You'll have to include it in on every linux update. Wait for some more infos from more skilled peoples. Another alternative would be to use an 8bitdo Bluetooth dongle which basically is a Bluetooth to x/d-input usb adapter and the system will see it as a wired controller thus eliminating all problems deriving from managing a full Bluetooth stack in software and also the input lag is proven to be better.
movisman

Re: Anyone tried the 'xow' Linux driver for the Xbox One Wireless Dongle on MiSTer?

Hi there,

Thanks a lot for replying, the info is really useful. This is what I was worried about, that the Linux on MiSTer doesn't contain the tools to compile the driver on MiSTer itself, meaning there is no way of compiling/installing the necessary components. Interesting idea about cross compiling the driver on a PC and embedding it on MiSTer, that sounds like a possibility but it isn't something I currently would know how to do. Perhaps someone can give some insight into how to do this (if possible)?

Regarding the 8bitdo Bluetooth adapter, do you mean this one?
https://www.8bitdo.com/wireless-usb-adapter/

If so, it looks like since v1.13 it works with the Xbox One Controller. Although, unfortunately I would need two dongles for my two controllers, as the adapter only supports one controller at a time.

If I went this route, even though the connection from controller to dongle is via Bluetooth that's where the BT reliance ends - so there is no need for a software bluetooth stack because it's seen as a wired x/d-input device as far as the OS is concerned. Thus meaning a bit less lag than using full on Bluetooth controllers with a Bluetooth dongle? Sound about right?

Might be a cost effective option and potentially less messing around, if I cannot get the Linux drivers for the official Xbox dongle somehow installed onto MiSTer. That would be my preference if it is possible, although it sounds like some work to make it happen.

Thanks a lot for the help so far.
Lisko

Unread post by Lisko »

movisman wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:29 pm Hi there,

Regarding the 8bitdo Bluetooth adapter, do you mean this one?
https://www.8bitdo.com/wireless-usb-adapter/

If so, it looks like since v1.13 it works with the Xbox One Controller. Although, unfortunately I would need two dongles for my two controllers, as the adapter only supports one controller at a time.

Might be a cost effective option and potentially less messing around, if I cannot get the Linux drivers for the official Xbox dongle somehow installed onto MiSTer. That would be my preference if it is possible, although it sounds like some work to make it happen.

Thanks a lot for the help so far.
Yes I was referring to that one.
movisman wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:29 pm If I went this route, even though the connection from controller to dongle is via Bluetooth that's where the BT reliance ends - so there is no need for a software bluetooth stack because it's seen as a wired x/d-input device as far as the OS is concerned. Thus meaning a bit less lag than using full on Bluetooth controllers with a Bluetooth dongle? Sound about right?
Lisko wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:57 am Another alternative would be to use an 8bitdo Bluetooth dongle which basically is a Bluetooth to x/d-input usb adapter and the system will see it as a wired controller thus eliminating all problems deriving from managing a full Bluetooth stack in software and also the input lag is proven to be better.
So yes, that and enhanced stability as well..
movisman

Perfect, thanks for the help.

It seems like I have a few alternatives without high cost, if I want to retain wireless functionality on the Xbox One controllers.

The other possibility is I understand the 2.4ghz M30 controllers w/USB receiver for Genesis/Megadrive Mini work ok with Mister - they are not too expensive so I would consider picking one of those up to play with.