Need help about hardware configuration

rgn

Need help about hardware configuration

Unread post by rgn »

Hello. I'm new to the project and I have some questions I can't figure out by myself...

1) How many write cycles can Altera FPGA withstand? Does the board flash FPGA each time it starts a game or is written one when choosing the console core? (I even looked into the datasheet for cyclone V)

2) About digital IO board:
https://misteraddons.com/products/io-di ... h-heatsink
it says it has a jumper cable to power on the USB board. So usb bracket or usb bridge is no longer needed? Or it would be a fancier solution to use them instead of a jumper cable?

3) About standard IO board:
https://misteraddons.com/products/io-bo ... h-heatsink
What is its switch for?

4) can be a SNAC Controller Adapter (i.e. a SNES one) configured to use with other cores?

5) Is it possible to buy a fancy-colored case instead of standard black one?
grizzly

Re: Need help about hardware configuration

Unread post by grizzly »

4, No!
SNAC can only use the right controller for the cores, any controller that is made for the snes for example even third parties do work.
But going from one sytem to another do not work at all, and the mister menu does not work with a SNAC controller either so must use a usb controller/keyboard for that.

5, Not from misteraddons, https://ultimatemister.com have two options for the case.
You can off course 3-D print/laser cut other colors yourself/order from 3-D print shop, or simple paint the one you got from misteraddons.
jdeberhart

Unread post by jdeberhart »

1) Cyclone FPGAs (same family as used in the DE10 Nano) are SRAM-based, not flash-based, so they can be reprogrammed infinitely. The FPGA is programmed when loading/changing the core, not each time a game is opened after the core has been loaded.

2) The USB bridge/bracket is used to connect the DE10 Nano to the USB board, not for connecting the Digital or Analog IO boards.

3) The switch on the analog IO board is for sync on green, which some displays require.

4) No. SNAC adapters are core specific just like the original controllers that connect to the adapter are console specific. Exceptions might work for controllers that worked between systems, like an Atari 2600 controller on a Genesis, but I haven't tested it.

5) There's plenty of 3D printed cases in a variety of colors and styles, laser-cut acrylic cases, and the official PCB case. There's also an aluminum case in development.
rgn

Unread post by rgn »

grizzly wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:25 pm
thank you
jdeberhart wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:01 pm
thank you

2) The USB bridge/bracket is used to connect the DE10 Nano to the USB board, not for connecting the Digital or Analog IO boards.

Yeah. I meant that digital IO board (at least the one sold at misteraddons) has a spare jumper cable to power the USB board from IO board. Is it good to use it or I'd better buy a USB bracker/bridge to power up the USB board from Terasic board?