MSU-1

Rahzadan

Re: MSU-1

Unread post by Rahzadan »

@dentnz

No worries dude, just glad to hear that you plan on revisiting it! Please do let us know when you start working on it again!

Cheers!
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

Sometimes one needs to do something else for a while to come back with a fresher perspective. Good luck with both projects!
msimplay

Unread post by msimplay »

dataDave wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:26 pm
msimplay wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:16 pm My favourite version is actually the Sega Saturn version because of the Sega Saturn Controller.
FYI Retro-Bit make a mean Sega Saturn USB controller which places near the top of the input latency league table.

Comes in 2.4GHz and 3-meter wired USB varieties, with the choice of a number of colours.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=retrobit+sat ... _sb_noss_1
I have one of the retrobit controllers and it has a serious fault in it on windows 10 it will press one of the face buttons if i press right on the dpad doesn't matter if its in x-input or d-input.

Although on MiSTer if I switch it to X-input it work's fine but it's very annoying that I have to do this every time I switch the console on or reset it.
It would have been better if they had a physical switch or better if the controller didn't have this fault.

Which leads me onto another issue finding low latency controllers in general I heard the latest versions of 8bitdo controllers are not the same as the older ones in terms of latency. If a new version of the controller comes out there's no guarantee that it will be low latency

I am thinking that snac should be better supported officially but that's a whole other topic :D
Attachments
d-input.png
d-input.png (8.5 KiB) Viewed 17829 times
x-input.png
x-input.png (10.24 KiB) Viewed 17829 times
Rahzadan

msimplay wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:40 pm
dataDave wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:26 pm
msimplay wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:16 pm My favourite version is actually the Sega Saturn version because of the Sega Saturn Controller.
FYI Retro-Bit make a mean Sega Saturn USB controller which places near the top of the input latency league table.

Comes in 2.4GHz and 3-meter wired USB varieties, with the choice of a number of colours.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=retrobit+sat ... _sb_noss_1
I have one of the retrobit controllers and it has a serious fault in it on windows 10 it will press one of the face buttons if i press right on the dpad doesn't matter if its in x-input or d-input.

Although on MiSTer if I switch it to X-input it work's fine but it's very annoying that I have to do this every time I switch the console on or reset it.
It would have been better if they had a physical switch or better if the controller didn't have this fault.

Which leads me onto another issue finding low latency controllers in general I heard the latest versions of 8bitdo controllers are not the same as the older ones in terms of latency. If a new version of the controller comes out there's no guarantee that it will be low latency

I am thinking that snac should be better supported officially but that's a whole other topic :D
Kinda getting a bit off topic.. Might that discussion be better from another thread? This is the MSU-1 thread :)
dentnz
Core Developer

Unread post by dentnz »

I've started to get somewhere with the EXT_BUS change. Basically, I have copied the MegaCD changes into the SNES core AND Main_MiSTer relating to using the EXT_BUS. From there, I setup some keyboard listening in the FPGA to detect and send a 'command' across the EXT_BUS. The Linux side detects a command request, and responds with a 'status'. The FPGA detects this 'status'.

The next step would be to start streaming data across other than a status update... This data would then go into my audio fifo buffer and the existing player (thanks ElectronAsh) would start piping the audio out.

*IF* this works and I can stream data into the fifo fast enough for audio to work, I should be in a pretty good place to sort out the audio MSU1 side of things and get something into the official core. I'd need to hook up the MSU1 registers to a new track selector/player/looper of course, but it should be far easier than all the LBA handling I was doing previously.

From there, it would be a matter of seeing what else I can fit in the EXT_BUS pipe... MSU1 datafile-wise. Maybe there would be enough bits to send both the audio and video data? Anyway, that can come later.
djsquare

Unread post by djsquare »

dentnz wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:40 am I've started to get somewhere with the EXT_BUS change. Basically, I have copied the MegaCD changes into the SNES core AND Main_MiSTer relating to using the EXT_BUS. From there, I setup some keyboard listening in the FPGA to detect and send a 'command' across the EXT_BUS. The Linux side detects a command request, and responds with a 'status'. The FPGA detects this 'status'.

The next step would be to start streaming data across other than a status update... This data would then go into my audio fifo buffer and the existing player (thanks ElectronAsh) would start piping the audio out.

*IF* this works and I can stream data into the fifo fast enough for audio to work, I should be in a pretty good place to sort out the audio MSU1 side of things and get something into the official core. I'd need to hook up the MSU1 registers to a new track selector/player/looper of course, but it should be far easier than all the LBA handling I was doing previously.

From there, it would be a matter of seeing what else I can fit in the EXT_BUS pipe... MSU1 datafile-wise. Maybe there would be enough bits to send both the audio and video data? Anyway, that can come later.
I don't understand any of it but thank for your hard work on this. It sure doesn't sound easy
Beeble

Unread post by Beeble »

That sounds like a promising approach, good luck and thank you. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Never underestimate the bandwith of a Truck full of Magnet Tapes speeding down the highway.
Rahzadan

Thanks for the progress update @dentnz :) Awesome to hear progress is being made. If you need testers please give me a shout!
RetrogamerX

Unread post by RetrogamerX »

Thank you for everyone working on the snes core to get msu-1 working. Really looking forward to it. :)
Toya

Unread post by Toya »

Hello!
Any updates on the MSU1? :)
Rahzadan

My hope is that integrating MSU-1 into MiSTer SNES core can now be seen as kind of a tribute to its designer, Near. May they rest in peace...
djsquare

Rahzadan wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:11 pm My hope is that integrating MSU-1 into MiSTer SNES core can now be seen as kind of a tribute to its designer, Near. May they rest in peace...
He was the creator of MSU? Wow, now I really hope this gets completed someday
Toya

Unread post by Toya »

Yeah.
Once the MSU1 hopefully has been implemented to MiSTer I will put aside my SNES with the SD2SNES. There are soooo many good MSU1 conversions.
Hyper Space Squid

Unread post by Hyper Space Squid »

Can't wait for this addition as I have a huge collection of Snes Msu-1 games. :mrgreen:
Toya

Unread post by Toya »

Are there any updates to the MSU-1 implementation? How are you Dentnz? :)
commander

Unread post by commander »

Hi dentnz,
any progress in msu1 for snes core. Hope you will find time to make this real.

It sounds so fantastic ;-)

Have fun
Rahzadan

Any more progress on this recently? Anyone know? @dentnz ? Even if not, any news is better than no news...
djsquare

I don't think anyone is working on this, I haven't heard any news in so long. This is one of the reason I keep a SD2SNES around. I really enjoyed the Earthbound MSU my last playthrough.
commander

Unread post by commander »

yes any info will be great and MSU Sound will be so great and can sell my SD2SNES ;-)
Thanks
Rahzadan

So I was looking around on github, and it does seem like @dentnz is still working on MSU-1 support. If you look at this branch:

https://github.com/dentnz/SNES_MiSTer/c ... gain_debug

He has commits to it as recently as March 6, 2022!

Don't give up @dentnz!
TwinFami

Unread post by TwinFami »

Don't know how many have seen this, but now with Everdrive production discontinued for the foreseeable future, it might be high time to finally add MSU-1 support to the SNES core.

https://www.retrorgb.com/everdrive-stor ... tions.html

I know the excuse of "it's not original hardware", but let's be honest here. The Colecovision core utilizes the Super Game Module and that wasn't an official release neither. The 7800 core emulates some of the aftermarket Atari 2600 items as well.

So, why can't this be a possibility too? Or even MD+ support for the MegaCD core?
dshadoff
Core Developer

Unread post by dshadoff »

I don't think anybody said "no".
It's just that it requires a developer to work on it... and AFAIK they all currently have other things they are working on.

But be patient, I'm sure it will happen sooner or later.
TwinFami

dshadoff wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:38 pm I don't think anybody said "no".
It's just that it requires a developer to work on it... and AFAIK they all currently have other things they are working on.

But be patient, I'm sure it will happen sooner or later.
I could've sworn I read somewhere they've asked Sorgelig and he didn't wish to add it because "it wasn't actual hardware".
dshadoff
Core Developer

TwinFami wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:54 pm
dshadoff wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:38 pm But be patient, I'm sure it will happen sooner or later.
I could've sworn I read somewhere they've asked Sorgelig and he didn't wish to add it because "it wasn't actual hardware".
But he isn't the only developer.
Loomes

Unread post by Loomes »

This is just a store in Canada (BOUTIQUE EVER DRIVE INC., 14130 Rue Omer-Paquette, Mirabel QC J7N 1K7, Canada) and has nothing to do with the actual Everdrive company which has not said anything about stopping production.
dshadoff
Core Developer

Not sure if you were aware of this, but the Everdrives were made in the Ukraine, which has been under attack for the past few weeks.
And FPGAs are also in a many-month backorder situation.
In other words, it's going to be some time before proper Everdrives become available again.
Kitrinx
Core Developer

Unread post by Kitrinx »

TwinFami wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:54 pm I could've sworn I read somewhere they've asked Sorgelig and he didn't wish to add it because "it wasn't actual hardware".
He said some time ago someone else could add it, but he wouldn't do it himself. It has to be done in a way that is acceptable code though. Now that EXT_BUS and etc exists this should be much easier.
TwinFami

dshadoff wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:14 am Not sure if you were aware of this, but the Everdrives were made in the Ukraine, which has been under attack for the past few weeks.
And FPGAs are also in a many-month backorder situation.
In other words, it's going to be some time before proper Everdrives become available again.
Exactly. Especially since he luckily was able to escape into Moldova and will likely need some time to get affairs in order. He even said to someone inquiring about the N64 Everdrive that they will not be back this year, so you're looking at 2023 at the earliest.

Still personally, I wish he'd entrust someone with the files, tech, whatever is needed in case something happens as he's the biggest and most varied supplier of carts. If he goes, that knowledge would go with him as I don't think they are open source.
Toya

Unread post by Toya »

I believe dentnz has started with the msu1 implementation again. He is active in the mister discord btw.
KnightNZ

Unread post by KnightNZ »

I've had a SNES-MSU1 core pop up in my list, loading ROMs doesn't seem to do anything, MSU-1 or regular SFC\SMC just blackscreens.

Version shows as v191014 which I'm going to guess is quite old?