Depricated.

Karmeck

Re: Depricated.

Unread post by Karmeck »

So here is a request disguised as a question.

Reading the comments here, dosmid appears to have a relation with the dos game front-end:

https://youtu.be/JseqLS2wCsY

Will dosmid be included when you update the top 300 with the front-end?
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Unread post by flynnsbit »

Karmeck wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:40 pm So here is a request disguised as a question.

Reading the comments here, dosmid appears to have a relation with the dos game front-end:

Yes
bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

Karmeck wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:40 pm So here is a request disguised as a question.

"MIDIMENU" (in my video) was something built for a single purpose (a front-end for DOSMID), but that was pretty short-sighted and it eventually morphed into "MyMenu" which in addition to MIDI now supports binary Metadata(not related to Meta aka Facebook) for MODs, XMs, SIDs, MP3s, ANSi, screen-savers and more.
lufeig

Re: eXoFlynn Top 300 DOS Pack Updates and Support

Unread post by lufeig »

vraskin wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:21 pm Hey guys. Has anyone been able to get Sam and Max Hit the Road working with Midi? I have an MT32-Pi that works with everything else, but not with this game. The options are present when launching, but don't seem to kick in properly. After searching around it looks like a couple people highlighted this issue a while ago but no one ever followed up with a resolution. Thanks!
I have just found out how to make Sam And Max work with MT32-pi MIDI:

Launch the game. Press F1 and quit.

On the Mister AO486 blue Launcher screen, press ESC. You’ll be in command prompt.

Type D: and press Enter. You’ll be in D:\SAMNMAX folder.

Type SETMUSE.EXE and press Enter. Select Advanced Menu.

On Music, select Roland and Port 330.

On Digital Sound, select Sound Blaster 16 and Port 220.

Quit and save current options.

Reset Mister by pressing left Ctrl + left Alt + right Alt, run Sam and Max, press 2 to select MT-32 and enjoy!
RalphJB

Unread post by RalphJB »

Hi all,

Whenever I try to launch Wing Commander 2, I get this message. Can anyone tell me what it means? How do I fix it and get the game to launch? It used to launch fine, just without any audio. Now it won't launch at all.
Attachments
20220327_133828.jpg
20220327_133828.jpg (1.89 MiB) Viewed 3929 times
Karmeck

Unread post by Karmeck »

I would say it fails to mount the Cd. When it worked befor but no music, that might explain why.

Did you remove any cds to save space?
Karmeck

Unread post by Karmeck »

bbond007 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:52 am

"MIDIMENU" (in my video) was something built for a single purpose (a front-end for DOSMID), but that was pretty short-sighted and it eventually morphed into "MyMenu" which in addition to MIDI now supports binary Metadata(not related to Meta aka Facebook) for MODs, XMs, SIDs, MP3s, ANSi, screen-savers and more.
Is there a way to crate an vhd with just midi menu and dosmid? That way I could copy the 486 core (name the core midi) and have a core just for midi playback.

It's not terrible right now, but the convinces of just booting straight in to a midi list would be nice.
netbeui

Unread post by netbeui »

Karmeck wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:09 pm
bbond007 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:52 am

Is there a way to crate an vhd with just midi menu and dosmid? That way I could copy the 486 core (name the core midi) and have a core just for midi playback.

It's not terrible right now, but the convinces of just booting straight in to a midi list would be nice.
I’d love something like this too!
bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

Karmeck wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:09 pm Is there a way to crate an vhd with just midi menu and dosmid? That way I could copy the 486 core (name the core midi) and have a core just for midi playback.

netbeui wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:12 pm I’d love something like this too!
"MIDIMENU" no longer exists...

Also, I have my doubts that renaming the core "midi" is going to work as intended as I think it would still share drive configuration settings with the ao486 core. However, there is a new thing called a MGL file which may be the proper way to do that, but I have not tried using one yet...

Based on the Shareware pack --> https://github.com/flynnsbit/DOS_Shareware_MyMenu, copy & rename the VHD to whatever you like and delete the GAMES directory. If you want it to boot directly into your MIDI folder then you'd change the following line in file Autoexec.bat:

::MyMenu

cd games <--

mymenu

You can make this change directly from the menu by selecting:
  • F2 (Drive menu)
  • C:\
  • scroll down to AUTOEXEC.BAT
  • F7 (Popup full screen)
  • F2 (Edit)
  • (edit file)
  • ALT -F --> Save
  • ALT- F --> Exit
Swainy

Unread post by Swainy »

Guys, I’ve re-downloaded Flynn’s top 300 pack from archieve.org as I seemed to be missing a few games (Day Of The Tentacle being one) when I first set it up months ago. Can someone remind me how I go about making it into a VHD file? Cheers
Swainy

Unread post by Swainy »

Don’t worry, I forgot that all I had to do was unzip it :)

Day Of The Tentacle is still missing though :(
netbeui

Unread post by netbeui »

Swainy wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:53 pm Don’t worry, I forgot that all I had to do was unzip it :)

Check the M section, it's sometimes referred to as "Maniac Mansion II: Day of the Tentacle"
Swainy

Unread post by Swainy »

netbeui wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:24 pm
Swainy wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:53 pm Don’t worry, I forgot that all I had to do was unzip it :)

Check the M section, it's sometimes referred to as "Maniac Mansion II: Day of the Tentacle"
Cool, will do.
Juri

Unread post by Juri »

Hello has anyone tried star trek judgment rites with mt32? It hangs at black screen upon starting for me, only sb32 works for me
Thanks
JF
Swainy

Unread post by Swainy »

netbeui wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:24 pm

Just wanted to let you know that you were right, thanks again!
oddjobs

Unread post by oddjobs »

I've seriously messed up my AO486 / Top 300 installation and can't figure out how to get it work again.

It all started when I tried some Bioforge, and upon exiting game and resetting, I could no longer access the main Top 300 menu - the core automatically booting into Bioforge no matter what I did.

So I ended up removing all AO486-related files I could find, thinking that a clean start should do it:
- the VHD's
- the core
- the boot0/boot1.rom's
- the AO486-related files in the CFG-folder

Then I put in fresh copies of the .rom's, .vhd's and the core and opened up the core again. Didn't boot back into Bioforge, but now no matter what I do, the mock-Intel-loading screen appears and throws me back into DOS with the error
"Secondary VHD not mounted! Please mount a games VHD to the 'Mount Secondary HDD .VHD' on your MiSTer and reset."

Any ideas how the hell I can get out of this mess? Everything else works as expected.
AmintaMister

Unread post by AmintaMister »

oddjobs wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:30 pm I've seriously messed up my AO486 / Top 300 installation and can't figure out how to get it work again.

It all started when I tried some Bioforge, and upon exiting game and resetting, I could no longer access the main Top 300 menu - the core automatically booting into Bioforge no matter what I did.

So I ended up removing all AO486-related files I could find, thinking that a clean start should do it:
- the VHD's
- the core
- the boot0/boot1.rom's

Then I put in fresh copies of the .rom's, .vhd's and the core and opened up the core again. Didn't boot back into Bioforge, but now no matter what I do, the mock-Intel-loading screen appears and throws me back into DOS with the error
"Secondary VHD not mounted! Please mount a games VHD to the 'Mount Secondary HDD .VHD' on your MiSTer and reset."

Any ideas how the hell I can get out of this mess? Everything else works as expected.
Me too I have similar problems, now I can't get to run Monkey Island 1, if I try the same "ExoDOS" formatted game in a "clean" MS Dos 6.22 environment it perfectly works!
Karmeck

Unread post by Karmeck »

Finally got a new, bigger, sd card. Copy over top 300 and evrything just works.

Over the years, talking about Lurid Land, ppl alway compared it to lode runner, so I thought I give that a go.

Did not want to load.

So I though I look at the YouTube video when it's being setup. (this was in bed, with no time to get up)
So I see you had simular issues at 04h:10m in your video.

I see you using the command prompt to cd to the games directory. I wanna do that to......

A suggestion, could it bee added to have an option to browse the games directory, like you have it on steam. That way I could also have tried to run the sound setup. No you done that, but I think you get the idea.

Watching the video again I see you changed the... memory(?) option to number 3. But I think (well I know, it's not in the video and I did not see this information trying to play yesterday) you forgot to add this requirement information when booting the game.

Also, the pause text some time block text. I suggest it be moved to the far right.
Krakout

Unread post by Krakout »

Lurid Land? is it part of the Top300?
Karmeck

Unread post by Karmeck »

Krakout wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:43 am Lurid Land? is it part of the Top300?
Sadly not. It's just a game from my youth.

I see now that it could be played on dos. I have to try that. First I have to find lurid Land again.

Edit: well, that was not hard. Now I just have to learn how to add games. I remember it was in one of his videos.
Krakout

Unread post by Krakout »

Must have it somewhere, I was a beta tester back then for it after discovering a couple of bugs 😅 Let me dig into my archive and will let you know. And I'll also have to learn how to add games to the Top 300😄😄
Karmeck

Unread post by Karmeck »

Krakout wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:10 am Must have it somewhere, I was a beta tester back then for it after discovering a couple of bugs 😅 Let me dig into my archive and will let you know. And I'll also have to learn how to add games to the Top 300😄😄

Looking at one of the YouTube videos. A suggestions is to crate a floppy image. Put the files in there and then move it to the mister and mount it.

I wonder if a floppy image can be bigger then an actual floppy disk, in terms of capacity.
Krakout

Unread post by Krakout »

Well I also have an iso of the game, maybe we could try with that, but then how to add it to the interface?
Karmeck

Unread post by Karmeck »

Krakout wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:58 am Well I also have an iso of the game, maybe we could try with that, but then how to add it to the interface?

Here, at 05:16
https://youtu.be/WPAgOffVcAg
Krakout

Unread post by Krakout »

Ahhh thanks, obligated. I was looking for an option, didn't occur to me to go there...

I think the version I sent you is Windows only?
Karmeck

Unread post by Karmeck »

Krakout wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:18 pm Ahhh thanks, obligated. I was looking for an option, didn't occur to me to go there...

I think it is the same version that is already out there. And that version Can be played in dos box. So I think it's dos.
Krakout

Unread post by Krakout »

Karmeck wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:38 pm
Krakout wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:18 pm Ahhh thanks, obligated. I was looking for an option, didn't occur to me to go there...

I think it is the same version that is already out there. And that version Can be played in dos box. So I think it's dos.
Ah damn, it's the Polish version, got to find my English version... Tried running it with a DOS622 HDD image I found but I got no sound.
AmintaMister

Unread post by AmintaMister »

AmintaMister wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:37 pm
oddjobs wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:30 pm I've seriously messed up my AO486 / Top 300 installation and can't figure out how to get it work again.

- the VHD's
- the core
- the boot0/boot1.rom's

Me too I have similar problems, now I can't get to run Monkey Island 1, if I try the same "ExoDOS" formatted game in a "clean" MS Dos 6.22 environment it perfectly works!
Ok, so the problem is with this line

Code: Select all

rename MONKEY.EXE MONKEY.OLD
that generates this error:

Code: Select all

rename: Permission denied
This program cannot be run in DOS mode.
This program cannot be run in DOS mode.
BlueIn2Red

Unread post by BlueIn2Red »

I have a similar issue, my install got messed up after running a game (Micro Machines in my case). I stupidly deleted my original download files also, not realising it was possible for an install to get completely broken like this. If anybody has any ideas or experience to share I’d really appreciate it. There isn’t really a lot to configure options wise, I have the correct two VHDs setup…
Karmeck

Unread post by Karmeck »

Krakout wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:01 pm
Karmeck wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:38 pm

Ah damn, it's the Polish version, got to find my English version... Tried running it with a DOS622 HDD image I found but I got no sound.
Manage to get the game running with sound. :D

Befor crating an iso, you need to edit game.ini to day D:\ instead of C:\, or the game won't work. I tried to set this patch to where the game was copied, with the data file, still did not work. Needs to be D:\

I used imgburn to crate an iso (could not get floppy to work)
I copied it as a folder on the disk, not the files directly on the disk, when adding just one folder, it will ask if you want to add the files directly instead, don't do this. Press no.

This is why

Move the iso file to mister and mount it.

Start top 300 pack, once inside the game list, press esc. We are now at the prompt.

We are now going to use xcopy to copy the entire folder of the Cd.

Use this command:

xcopy d:\*folder name* e:\games\-manuall\*chose a name*

You will be asked if path is a file or directory. Press D.

It will now copy the fileas. The data file (not needed when I think of it, this file will be read from the mounted iso file) is the biggest and the process will appear stuck when copying this file. Just wait.

Then just add the game inside the manual added games section.

As player one you use right controll to do magic.