DualSense

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
ExCyber

DualSense

Unread post by ExCyber »

Has anyone tried a DualSense controller with MiSTer? It's getting pretty good overall reviews and I'm considering picking one up to replace my SN30 Pro+ (my second 8BitDo pad in a row to develop a silicone problem).
limi
Top Contributor

Re: DualSense

Unread post by limi »

Yes, MiSTer got updated to support it recently — although it works as a normal controller, the things that make DualSense special (haptics etc) don’t do anything on the MiSTer.
EeK

Unread post by EeK »

limi wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:46 pm Yes, MiSTer got updated to support it recently — although it works as a normal controller, the things that make DualSense special (haptics etc) don’t do anything on the MiSTer.
It works over Bluetooth with any adapter? Any idea what the latency's like?
XtraSmiley

Unread post by XtraSmiley »

It would be very cool if eventually the haptics from old arcade games get worked into it somehow...
brknglass

Unread post by brknglass »

Sony just released an official linux driver, but no adaptive/haptic support yet.

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/20 ... ux-driver/
ExCyber

Unread post by ExCyber »

brknglass wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:51 pm Sony just released an official linux driver, but no adaptive/haptic support yet.

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/20 ... ux-driver/
Yeah; I don't expect support for the haptic trigger stuff in particular because that feature is a genuine innovation; there's no reason for generic API/ABI definitions to even exist for that yet. It's cool to see Sony pushing to get code into mainline Linux, though.
softtest9

Unread post by softtest9 »

I'm testing my DualSense (USB) right now on a fresh MiSTer install.

It kinda works but could be better. The D-Pad works fine in-game but has issues in MiSTer's menu. The left analog stick doesn't work at all. If I have the DualSense connected on boot, it will stall my USB drive until it times out. The DualSense appears to work perfectly on my PC.

UPDATE: With today's Main_Mister release, most of the issues have been fixed. The one remaining issue is the DualSense stalling my USB drive until it times out.
NuClear235

Unread post by NuClear235 »

Is working mouse emulation on DS touchpad?
(on my PS4 Dualshock4 is it fully working)
FeelsDuckMan

Unread post by FeelsDuckMan »

Picked a Dual Sense 5 up today. Has anyone else experienced disconnects via bluetooth if the controller stays idle for a very short amount of time, like 30s-1m. Mine disconnects if I'm not constantly pressing something. Is this a general bluetooth setting on the mister that can be changed or is it a Dual Sense 5 issue?
NuClear235

I have DS5 and is not good for using. :-(
Disconnecting or not connecting after start, after Reset it still press Down on D-pad and many more.
Bluetoot connection is poor and has disturbing lag. I am using it with USB cable. Lag is better.
I preffer DualShock4, has much better behaviour.
FeelsDuckMan

Unread post by FeelsDuckMan »

NuClear235 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:44 pm I have DS5 and is not good for using. :-(
Disconnecting or not connecting after start, after Reset it still press Down on D-pad and many more.
Bluetoot connection is poor and has disturbing lag. I am using it with USB cable. Lag is better.
I preffer DualShock4, has much better behaviour.
Yes. This does not seem to be a great controller to play retro games with. Even when forgetting the bluetooth disconnects, the dpad feels bad and I don't always get a button response on the face buttons, they just don't register sometimes. The share and start button are so recessed in they're very hard to press and the new PS HOME button is no longer a round button but just the logo so it's also awkward to press.

It's a shame because the controller is very comfortable grip wise but it's actually pretty shit functionally. I'll stick with my PS4 and Xbox Series X controller and I'm going to return this today.
NuClear235

I have on real Playstation updated firmware of DS5.
In my bluetooth adapter updated firmware too.
Nothing better.
The worse thing was that Reset button on Mister dosconnected bluetooth connection and it was long time to estabilish new one…
About d-pad down arrow - it makes randomly a on real PS5 never. After Mister start it do scroll down in menu … still and uninteruptible.
edr

DS4 Wireless - bad Re: DualSense

Unread post by edr »

Mostly a very bad experience here w/DS4 wireless via MiSTer BT adaptor and via 8BitDo USB 2 BT adapter

- Sometimes disconnects - I look down and the light is off (not a battery issue)
- Sometimes bad/very bad lag, or lack of button response
- Sometimes repeated input after a single press or input

The problems were obvious when I tested via Oddworld 1 (Abe's Oddysee) with the Speak feature from the main menu. Sometimes button presses just didn't register, or there was bad lag.

Seems to work fine wired USB (after removing bluetooth pairing).

Other PSX controller options
- PS1 original digital pad wired controller w/ Raphnet PSX -> USB adapter
- PS1 Classic digital pad USB wired controller
- PS1 original DualShock wired controller w/ Raphnet PSX -> USB adapter
- PS2 original DualShock 2 wired controller w/ Raphnet PSX -> USB adapter
- 8 BitDo Pro 2 / SN30 Pro + / SN30 Pro / SN30 Pro USB wired
(I ordered a Raphnet adapter recently, will test with MiSTer later, assume it should work fine)

Some PSX games like Ape Escape require DualShock/Sticks - I was able to pass the start screen after switching the pad setting from digital to analog in core prefs, but game didn't fully work yet so have not tested dual stick support in MiSTer with games that require dual sticks. Will try again a few more PSX core unstable releases down the line.

Believe all these pro 8BitDo's have 2 sets of shoulder buttons (L1/L2/R1/R2), required for at least some PSX games. I have the SN30 Pro USB wired and that has them. On mine the 2 analog sticks are clickable for L3/R3 - not used for PSX I don't think so could be used for other features like quick access to savestates etc.

I like to map left analog stick to digital L/R/D/U as secondary (alt) mapping (easier for movement in some 3d games than d pad). Also useful in some games is to map L/R on right analog stick to L1 and R1 - this lets me change camera angle in some 3d games with stick instead of having to reach for the L1/R1 shoulder buttons. Games are not consistent in rotation done by L1/R1 (some games are clockwise, some reverse) - I can use the game-specific mapping feature to remap L1 to R1, and R1 to L1 (has to be done separately for the right stick if using the stick for L1 R1). Unfortunately the game-specific mapping feature in the MiSTer does not get saved permanently, and requires a keyboard to press <Enter> when done with the remap - hopefully they will improve it and make the remaps "stick".
edr

Line of sight seems to help Re: DualSense

Unread post by edr »

From some more testing, it "appears" having line-of-sight to the CSR BT adapter from DS4 and DS5 controllers eliminates or at least improves on the problems with disconnections and lack of input response. Normally I have the MiSTer hiding behind the metal stand for my LaserBear LCD, and it could be the DS4 and DS5 are very sensitive to barriers/blockage to the BT adapter when in wireless mode.
edr

Unread post by edr »

So far tested with a few PSX games, w/d-pad and sticks set to digital mode in MiSTer core settings:
  • PS1 Classic DS (USB) (d-pad only, no sticks): works great
  • PS2 DS2 + RaphNet DS->USB adapter (USB): works great. Need to press controller's "Analog" button (red light on) to be able to map and use sticks
  • PS4 DS4 (microUSB -> USB A): works great
  • PS4 DS4 (BT): works well, keeping line-of-sight to MiSTer BT adapter helps
  • PS5 DS5 (USB-C -> USB-A): works great
  • PS5 DS5 (BT): works well, keeping line-of-sight to MiSTer BT adapter helps
Have not tested analog stick functionality as analog yet, I use L-stick in MiSTer digital mode alt-mapped to R/L/U/D and R-stick in MiSTer digital mode alt-mapped to L1 / R1.

Overall really prefer wireless, just less hassle to grab controller from a drawer, play and put it back. Also like that the DS4 and DS5 have a PS button which I map to menu. Much more convenient than having to use a 2 button combo like Down + Select to get to the MiSTer menu.

Do have to remember to charge and no easy way currently to check battery levels (well, other than re-pairing to a PS_ console, checking the battery, and re-pairing back to MiSTer :) ). Wonder if MiSTer would consider adding battery level information for wireless controllers, for ex. https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Sony_DualShock describes how to check battery level in Linux, and maybe that info is available for Xbox controllers as well.

For me a bit of a toss-up between the DS4 and DS5. Think I like the DS4 d-pad a bit better (less "squishy" maybe). The DS5 has a really nice feel, it's chunkier, though heavier (+50g). Been using the DS5 more recently, nice to use the latest controller with the best (meaning retro) games, something very cool about that combination.
astromaddie

Unread post by astromaddie »

NuClear235 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:51 am Is working mouse emulation on DS touchpad?
(on my PS4 Dualshock4 is it fully working)
I’d be curious to know this too, haven’t seen it answered anywhere
totallymike

Unread post by totallymike »

I tried a DualSense connected via USB with my MiSTer yesterday, and it worked well (as a MiSTer input). The biggest issue I had was that it retained its BT connection to the PS5, and continued to control it!

This meant that the Playstation button would cause my projector to switch inputs to the PS5 whenever I pressed it, and also led to a bunch of youtube videos being played, skipped, and whatnot even when the projector was displaying the MiSTer.

So, I won't be trying that again unless I specifically unpair the controller from the PS5 first :)

insanityprawnboy

Unread post by insanityprawnboy »

When I turn my Mister on, my duelsense only works sometimes, and its wired. Has anyone else had this issue?

PistolsAtDawn

Unread post by PistolsAtDawn »

I have three DualSense controllers, two launch day and one black one from 2021. All of them are quirky on anything other than a PS5 until the firmware is updated to the current release. All of them work great for me on the MiSTer or a PC.

I haven't experienced any noticeable lag or issues as some of you have. I'm only connecting it to a BT 4.0 adapter and not something newer selected specifically for the DualSense.

I typically have the bluetooth adapter pointing in my direction but behind a sound bar. It's definitely not directly in a line of sight.

It could be that they are susceptible to interference even if I haven't experienced that. It seemed like that was the case at first, but not anymore.

If you're having problems, I'd say update the controller's firmware before you even bother doing any other troubleshooting.

insanityprawnboy

PistolsAtDawn wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:53 pm

I have three DualSense controllers, two launch day and one black one from 2021. All of them are quirky on anything other than a PS5 until the firmware is updated to the current release. All of them work great for me on the MiSTer or a PC.

I haven't experienced any noticeable lag or issues as some of you have. I'm only connecting it to a BT 4.0 adapter and not something newer selected specifically for the DualSense.

I typically have the bluetooth adapter pointing in my direction but behind a sound bar. It's definitely not directly in a line of sight.

It could be that they are susceptible to interference even if I haven't experienced that. It seemed like that was the case at first, but not anymore.

If you're having problems, I'd say update the controller's firmware before you even bother doing any other troubleshooting.

Updating the firmware made it all right.

That was a bit of a 'There's no sound? Turn the volume up then?' moment on my part. Derp!

Thanks. :-)

insanityprawnboy

PistolsAtDawn wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:53 pm

Which Bluetooth adaptor do you use for the PS5 controller on MiSTer?

PistolsAtDawn

insanityprawnboy wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:14 pm

Which Bluetooth adaptor do you use for the PS5 controller on MiSTer?

Just some cheap generic thing (inateck brand). Here's the usb device info:

Device 007: ID 0a5c:21ec Broadcom Corp. BCM20702A0 Bluetooth 4.0

16Bittt

Unread post by 16Bittt »

I think a Dual Shock 4 (V2) will be a much better option for Mister,the Dual Sense D-Pad is really bad for 2D games,and personally I felt DS4 was more comfortable and more ergonomic in my hands vs the Dual Sense.
also Dual Sense has very poor battery life (at least on PS5) and you won't be able to use it's haptic features on Mister anyway.

PistolsAtDawn

16Bittt wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:26 am

I think a Dual Shock 4 (V2) will be a much better option for Mister,the Dual Sense D-Pad is really bad for 2D games,and personally I felt DS4 was more comfortable and more ergonomic in my hands vs the Dual Sense.
also Dual Sense has very poor battery life (at least on PS5) and you won't be able to use it's haptic features on Mister anyway.

I can confirm that the D-pad on the Dual Sense isn't as good as the DS4, but the battery life of the Dual Sense is much better without haptics and the variable pressure analog triggers. I've been pretty happy using mine with my MiSTer. I still slightly prefer a 8bitdo SN30 Pro+ though.

16Bittt

Unread post by 16Bittt »

PistolsAtDawn wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:48 pm
16Bittt wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:26 am

I can confirm that the D-pad on the Dual Sense isn't as good as the DS4, but the battery life of the Dual Sense is much better without haptics and the variable pressure analog triggers. I've been pretty happy using mine with my MiSTer. I still slightly prefer a 8bitdo SN30 Pro+ though.

Yes makes sense,without haptics the battery life should be much better,I only used Dual Sense with PS5.but it's D-Pad is still the biggest disadvantage for retro games.it's bad.the Xbox Series controller D-Pad on the other hand is very good for 2D games.the best D-Pad of a modern controller.

PistolsAtDawn

16Bittt wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:09 pm

Yes makes sense,without haptics the battery life should be much better,I only used Dual Sense with PS5.but it's D-Pad is still the biggest disadvantage for retro games.it's bad.the Xbox Series controller D-Pad on the other hand is very good for 2D games.the best D-Pad of a modern controller.

Isn't it funny how no matter how many generations of gamepads go by that D-pads are still so often garbage?

16Bittt

Unread post by 16Bittt »

PistolsAtDawn wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:29 pm
16Bittt wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:09 pm

Isn't it funny how no matter how many generations of gamepads go by that D-pads are still so often garbage?

It's because less and less games use the D-Pad..even with popularity of new 2D releases (streets of Rage 4,Ninja Turtles,etc) most new players just use analogue sticks :cry:

Sony was never known for it's 2D games..but Nintendo are the worst,they invented D-Pad but the "D-Pad" on Switch is the worst of all,even the D-Pad on Pro controller is not good.

but tit's surprising that Microsoft actually improved the D-Pad of Xbox series controllers so much,it's very good for 2D/Fighting games.

still the best D-Pad is Sega Saturn's (including Retro-Bit's licensed Sega Saturn controller) and Retro-Bit Sega Genesis Pad.the 8Bitdo M30 D-Pad is also excellent.

jd213

Unread post by jd213 »

Is the Xbox Series controller's Dpad improved over the one for the XBone? I usually use an arcade stick but always nice to have options.

akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

I love the DS4 design overall but have had major problems with its USB port - it's atrocious. I had to get rid of an otherwise perfectly working one because it wouldn't even charge anymore, and then the next one I bought also started having problems. It still charges, but just about, and wired gaming is out of question.

Another problem is that it works fine on MiSTer with a generic dongle I have, but when I try to use it on PC the connection drops all the time, even though I tried all the ports. Major headache (though it might be the dongle's fault?).

So now I'm in the market for a new gamepad but I'm not sure which option to choose. Would like another DS4 but am worried the same stuff will happen. Considered 8bitdo Pro2, but it has these silly buttons underneath which I'm not a fan of. Has anybody tried Dual Sense wired and can comment whether its USB port is reliable? Any other good pads out there? (needs to have analogue sticks and I'd rather not get the Xbox layout one).

jd213

Unread post by jd213 »

I like the DualSense for racing games and it seems to have the lowest lag among analog controllers on the MisterAddons database. I haven't used mine that much so can't personally attest to its durability, but Google seems to bring up a good bit of people with broken USB ports. For $75 you would hope it would be durable, but I guess not. Haven't looked into it much, but there seems to be some repair guides online as well. I'd imagine the USB port can be re-soldered easily enough and might be more reliable if the lead-free solder is replaced with leaded solder.