tty2oled Soft&Hardware Add-On (Shows Core based Pictures on a Display)

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Re: tty2oled Soft&Hardware Add-On (Shows Core based Pictures on a Display)

Unread post by RealLarry »

It's JTFriday and a new (beta) core appeared: Konami's Ping Pong!
There's also an alternative picture for Hyper Olypmic I created.
Pictures done and uploaded, sheet updated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Contributor of tty2oled, author of tty2tft, tty2rpi and update_tty2xxx
salamantecas

Unread post by salamantecas »

RealLarry wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:08 pm It's JTFriday and a new (beta) core appeared: Konami's Ping Pong!
There's also an alternative picture for Hyper Olypmic I created.
Pictures done and uploaded, sheet updated.

my version of Pingpong jotego friday

pingpong.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

salamantecas wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:18 pmmy version of Pingpong jotego friday
Thanks! Added as alternative now...
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

A few sheet updates, there was a new little core added to the Other section, a fun wee game called SlugCross that could do with an image.

The SparcStation is known as ss5.rbf, and is progressing along, will be in Main at some point

Someone is working on a VTech CreatiVision core for MiST, and once that is released it will be ported over to MiSTer pretty quickly if anyone is itching to do that one in advance.

Am I right in thinking Boulder Dash Part 2 can't get a unique image? Was a bit confused by the release of that one.

Darkstalkers 3 and Pac Manic Miner Man both have Mono images but not Greyscale ones, not sure if these have been missed or marked No by mistake.

I added the Sega Outrun hardware games, as seems JT is hinting about doing those again. Also the System C games that Ace has been talking about working on for awhile. So lots more fun Sega games if anyone is bored.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Moondandy wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:00 pm A few sheet updates, there was a new little core added to the Other section, a fun wee game called SlugCross that could do with an image.

The SparcStation is known as ss5.rbf, and is progressing along, will be in Main at some point

Someone is working on a VTech CreatiVision core for MiST, and once that is released it will be ported over to MiSTer pretty quickly if anyone is itching to do that one in advance.

Am I right in thinking Boulder Dash Part 2 can't get a unique image? Was a bit confused by the release of that one.

Darkstalkers 3 and Pac Manic Miner Man both have Mono images but not Greyscale ones, not sure if these have been missed or marked No by mistake.

I added the Sega Outrun hardware games, as seems JT is hinting about doing those again. Also the System C games that Ace has been talking about working on for awhile. So lots more fun Sega games if anyone is bored.
SlugCross compiled and is working. Still can't compile Pokemon Mini but found it's "setname". SparcStation already done in January.
Boulder Dash Part 2 has it's own image. Seems that there is no arcade version of Boulder Dash, only for home computers/consoles, sadly.
I did a deeper research for Darkstalkers 3 and found out that it is simply the same game as Vampire Savior: The Lord of Vampire. The latter is the japanese version and Darkstalkers 3 the non-JP one. I left a notice in the sheet.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

New core and picture: TomyTutor. Picture uploaded, sheet updated.
hellbent

Unread post by hellbent »

good news on my RGB display code. i got my gifs to (mostly) display properly. galaga still has some weirdness in the lower right that i have to figure out. but now that i know this is feasible i can attempt to get the serial monitor code and the gif display functions to work together. going to attempt to use the dual core of the esp32 for that.
gifs_work.png
https://youtu.be/E9PTcl38L08

@h3llb3nt.bsky.social

RealLarry
Top Contributor

Coming up soon: Rastan! Pictures uploaded, sheet updated. Looks like I'm living in the future.... :geek:
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Hah, nice one. I added the Taito 68000 games the other day when I saw what he was teasing, hopefully the others on the hardware come soon - Operation Wolf and Rainbow Islands would be nice to have.

I also added Uo Poko which apparently runs on the WIP Cave core.

I know there are plans to port over the MiST arcade cores we don't have in the near future, looks like they are all done now bar Oza Wars and Super Earth Invasion.
hellbent

here's video of current status of my rgb version. this runs on the non-usb mode of the current code base that just receives the core name on the serial line. I need to adjust some things still but you get the idea.

https://youtu.be/un_bDXi2HBI

@h3llb3nt.bsky.social

RealLarry
Top Contributor

Moondandy wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:10 pm Hah, nice one. I added the Taito 68000 games the other day when I saw what he was teasing, hopefully the others on the hardware come soon - Operation Wolf and Rainbow Islands would be nice to have.

I also added Uo Poko which apparently runs on the WIP Cave core.
Did someone say something? :D
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

hellbent wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:16 am here's video of current status of my rgb version. this runs on the non-usb mode of the current code base that just receives the core name on the serial line. I need to adjust some things still but you get the idea.
Looks really nice :)
How many Pixels do you have in total?
And what is the size of the panel?

My MiSTer Add-On-Projects tty2oled, i2c2oled, SNAC2IEC
You can donate by sending a Postcard to me.

RealLarry
Top Contributor

There was something else I wanted to say:
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Nice one Larry! But you know the more you do the more that get added. ;-)

I popped in Apple IIGS and and the other Midway T Unit games as it seems that is the board JT is using for Mortal Kombat.

I may need to do a bit of housekeeping on the sheet this weekend, try get some of the anomalies cleaned up.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Moondandy wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:55 am Nice one Larry! But you know the more you do the more that get added. ;-)
Yeah I know that, Mum :) But if I'm getting tired in doing pictures or in case of sudden death you'll have to find another fast and hard-working pal. Almost impossible imho.

I popped in Apple IIGS and and the other Midway T Unit games as it seems that is the board JT is using for Mortal Kombat.
I may need to do a bit of housekeeping on the sheet this weekend, try get some of the anomalies cleaned up.
I'll have a look later on. If you're going to revisit the sheet and are having questions, just send a PM and I'll help as best as I can.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Hah, hopefully you don't get bored or fall down a manhole! I'll ping you a message with some thoughts, see if we can get the last bits of confusion on the sheet ironed out.

I should have mentioned, but on the non-arcades tab I added a new column for .pdf guides to help Alan and the guys making those to be able to track which systems have been done, so that's what that is if anyone was wondering.

Something cool is I am sending one of my spare boards to a chap in Sweden who is looking to build one so he can check support in the cores he is working on, is nice for it to go to a good home. Something I was thinking about though, would it be worth telling sellers like Porkchop in the US and Nat in the UK that it is OK for them to print off a certain build and sell them, so for people who just want to order one can by it from them cheaply rather than have to get their own stack of five printed up in China? Possibly the same for a 3D stand if anyone is willing to let someone sell a model? Could mean they are able to sell prebuilt ones for anyone who wants, like with the MT-32 Pi. Could widen the userbase, and even having the boards in shops would mean more eyes on them so more people become aware of the project.
hellbent

venice wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:01 am Looks really nice :)
How many Pixels do you have in total?
And what is the size of the panel?
thanks! this is two 64x32 P2.5 (leds are 2.5mm apart) panels from aliexpress combined into 128x32 with 4096 pixels.
ordering HUB75 panels from aliexpress can be a crap shoot since you never know what exact panel driver you're going to get but I was happy with this store https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001689161721.html

combined into the one panel it measures 320mm by 80mm. the LED acrylic in front of it as a diffuser is oversized as its from a different project. I was going for something that would be a close fit for a bartop arcade marquee since that's what im working toward. I would probably use either different panels and/or more to get a higher pixel count if I was gonna make a full size cabinet marquee.

@h3llb3nt.bsky.social

venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

hellbent wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:19 pm
thanks! this is two 64x32 P2.5 (leds are 2.5mm apart) panels from aliexpress combined into 128x32 with 4096 pixels.
For the Screensaver i reduce the shown size of the Pictures on the fly to 128x32.
Maybe something you can use ?
;)

Ross_Jolet

Unread post by Ross_Jolet »

I just got my tty2oled from Antonio Villena's site. I plugged it into my MiSTer usb hub, then ran the updater (update_tty2oled). It downloads the pictures then it says "checking for device at /dev/ttyUSB0: Could not connect to interface. Please check USB connection and run script again." I have deleted everything associated with tty2oled several times and ran the updater with the same result. The tty2oled is on and displaying the logo with a usb logo in the lower right corner but has never displayed anything but this. Has anyone else had this problem? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated
rickdangerous

Unread post by rickdangerous »

Ross_Jolet wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:19 pm I just got my tty2oled from Antonio Villena's site. I plugged it into my MiSTer usb hub, then ran the updater (update_tty2oled). It downloads the pictures then it says "checking for device at /dev/ttyUSB0: Could not connect to interface. Please check USB connection and run script again." I have deleted everything associated with tty2oled several times and ran the updater with the same result. The tty2oled is on and displaying the logo with a usb logo in the lower right corner but has never displayed anything but this. Has anyone else had this problem? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated
Try in tty2oled\tty2oled-system.ini change the parameter to TTYDEV ="/dev/ttyACM0"

Correction: not "tty2oled\tty2oled-system.ini" but add on "tty2oled\tty2oled-user.ini"

MiSTer and FPGA Gaming European Shop
Classic MiSTer, MultiSystem, JAMMIX iTX and Official Addons.
https://ultimatemister.com powered by RetroShop.pt

Ross_Jolet

rickdangerous wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:47 pm
Ross_Jolet wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:19 pm I just got my tty2oled from Antonio Villena's site. I plugged it into my MiSTer usb hub, then ran the updater (update_tty2oled). It downloads the pictures then it says "checking for device at /dev/ttyUSB0: Could not connect to interface. Please check USB connection and run script again." I have deleted everything associated with tty2oled several times and ran the updater with the same result. The tty2oled is on and displaying the logo with a usb logo in the lower right corner but has never displayed anything but this. Has anyone else had this problem? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated
Try in tty2oled\tty2oled-system.ini change the parameter to TTYDEV ="/dev/ttyACM0"
I changed the ini file to read ttyACM0. I rebooted my MiSTer. Ran the updater again. This time it says SSL verification failure as soon as the updater came up.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Ross_Jolet wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:07 pmI changed the ini file to read ttyACM0. I rebooted my MiSTer. Ran the updater again. This time it says SSL verification failure as soon as the updater came up.
This a certificate error. We're using a certificate from LetsEncrypt and they changed their root certificate month's ago, which leds to an update to Linux' (root) certificate files in /etc/ssl. The latter was addressed in a MiSTer update after 2021/09.

Is your MiSTer setup up to date? If in doubt please run update_all.sh first - or, if unavailable, update.sh.
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Don't change anything in "tty2oled/tty2oled-system.ini" as this file will be overwritten by the updater.
If you need to override the default settings add your values to "tty2oled/tty2oled-user.ini"

See: https://github.com/venice1200/MiSTer_tt ... n#ini-file

No need to run the updater after you changed the User-INI file, just reboot your MiSTer or restart the tty2oled daemon script.

RealLarry
Top Contributor

Something for you kids out there, nothing more today - it's suppertime now!
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Nice one Larry! Looks like the Cave core is getting more love again, added the other cores for that one we don't have yet.
Ross_Jolet

venice wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:13 am Don't change anything in "tty2oled/tty2oled-system.ini" as this file will be overwritten by the updater.
If you need to override the default settings add your values to "tty2oled/tty2oled-user.ini"

See: https://github.com/venice1200/MiSTer_tt ... n#ini-file

No need to run the updater after you changed the User-INI file, just reboot your MiSTer or restart the tty2oled daemon script.
First off, I just want to thank everyone who has helped. A huge part of why I love this platform so much is the community. I did exactly what was suggested and changed the "tty2oled/tty2oled-user.ini". When I reboot and restart the daemon it tells me "No /dev/ttyACM0 Device detected, abort." I also tried after changing to TTYDEV ="/dev/ttyUSB0" with the same result. When I look in the "/dev" folder there isn't a file by either of these names.
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

We need more technical information.
First, could you run “dmesg”, after the system is started,
from the command line and share the output.
This should show the interface.

Does this Display has two connectors?
Share some pictures from the device
And try another USB cable.

And be sure, as RealLarry wrote above, that you system is Up-To-Date.
Newer Kernel = Support for more/newer USB Serial Chips.

RealLarry
Top Contributor

Moondandy wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:02 pm Nice one Larry! Looks like the Cave core is getting more love again, added the other cores for that one we don't have yet.
Your wish is my command... Part #1 for today. Coffeebreak!
Ross_Jolet

venice wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:27 am We need more technical information.
First, could you run “dmesg”, after the system is started,
from the command line and share the output.
This should show the interface.

Does this Display has two connectors?
Share some pictures from the device
And try another USB cable.

And be sure, as RealLarry wrote above, that you system is Up-To-Date.
Newer Kernel = Support for more/newer USB Serial Chips.
ttyoled3.jpg
ttyoled2.jpg
ttyoled1.jpg
ttyoled4.jpg
So I tried a different USB cable and that seems to have been at least part of the problem. Instead of just the tty2oled logo I’m getting the MiSTer logo on the screen and the updater runs all the way through without errors. The problem now is that it won’t change when I change cores. I ran the update_all script so everything is up to date. Attached pictures are of my screen and of the results after running the updater with a new cable. I ran the "dimesg" but I don't know how to view the report page by page to take pictures of it.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Part #2 and the last one of today's work. Picture invasion!!! And before anyone asks why I'm so slow for that handful of picture, my answer is stick a finger up your nose, I have twice the work with it (GSC for tty2oled and JPG for tty2tft). :ugeek:
Need a drink now as I suffer from a pixelaria.