tty2oled Soft&Hardware Add-On (Shows Core based Pictures on a Display)

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Re: tty2oled Soft&Hardware Add-On (Shows Core based Pictures on a Display)

Unread post by RealLarry »

Holy cow! @salamantecas found an easteregg! The game/picture is referencing to viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3859 and is already available and working with the NeoGeo/Arcade core.
Picture uploaded, sheet updated. Thanks to salamantecas and welcome to this show :+1:
Contributor of tty2oled, author of tty2tft, tty2rpi and update_tty2xxx
Sigismond0

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

RealLarry wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:45 am Glad I could help, congrats to your 1st picture which is a really nice one. But which CORE does it belong to? The problem is, in short, that it's impossible (for now) to get a picture for a game that isn't an arcade one (i.e. driven by a MRA file) and that hasn't it's own CORE (i.e. Xeno Crisis for Genesis - the CORE (and it's name) is genesis then).
Given that we can now launch games directly with MGL files, this shouldn't be impossible anymore (well, other than MGL support not being implemented in TTY2OLED).

This also brings up some potential future feature potentialities--when launching from an MGL, TTY2OLED could switch between the core/game screens instead of using the screensaver for example. Of course MGL support would also require thousands and thousands of images to account for all the libraries, which would be just insane.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Sigismond0 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:14 pm
RealLarry wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:45 am Glad I could help, congrats to your 1st picture which is a really nice one. But which CORE does it belong to? The problem is, in short, that it's impossible (for now) to get a picture for a game that isn't an arcade one (i.e. driven by a MRA file) and that hasn't it's own CORE (i.e. Xeno Crisis for Genesis - the CORE (and it's name) is genesis then).
Given that we can now launch games directly with MGL files, this shouldn't be impossible anymore (well, other than MGL support not being implemented in TTY2OLED).

This also brings up some potential future feature potentialities--when launching from an MGL, TTY2OLED could switch between the core/game screens instead of using the screensaver for example. Of course MGL support would also require thousands and thousands of images to account for all the libraries, which would be just insane.
I did a quick look at the code where MRA and MGL are handled: MRA is able to set another <setname>, which leds to /tmp/CORENAME tty2oled is looking at to know what's to display. MGL uses the same code (or parts of), but isn't able to set <setname> for now. The MGL baby is too new. Someone with more programming skills should build a push request or we wait some weeks to see what progress MGL will get.

There is another possibility hidden in mister.ini to get informations about the actual used ROM/Disk/CHD/Medium, which would open a door for thousands new pictures. This is what we're discussing sometimes but still for some months: How to handle these media? Arcade cores / MRA are using MAME's fixed naming scheme...but what about computer disks? Atari cartridges? There are no naming conventions. Checksums? Maybe...but depending on what source? What about changed disks (saved games to disks)? So many questions, so less answers.

Independently of, yes, this would and will work partially for many static and unchangable ROMs/Cartridges. We will see.
funkychimp

Unread post by funkychimp »

Hi guys,

I have just updated my tty2oled for the first time since the change of the ini files. I have copied my setting over the the new sys.ini. The user ini has nothing in it now.

I have updated the device via the mister script and it has updated my ESP32 and downloaded the latest pictures. It then finishes on 'Watches Established'. Do I need to do anything thing here? It just appears to just wait. I can press any key to continue as advised before the 'Read CORENAME: -MENU-' line and it returns to the Misters main menu.
Screenshot 2022-03-08 at 16.41.50.png

Kind regards

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

If you see these messages the update is finished.
Just press a button or a key, done.

It‘s the timing that you get messages after „Press any…“.

My MiSTer Add-On-Projects tty2oled, i2c2oled, SNAC2IEC
You can donate by sending a Postcard to me.

funkychimp

Cheers venice :)
funkychimp

Hi guys,

I have the new screen saver function set to yes in the Sys.ini but it does not appear to be working. I have ran the update script on my mister.
Screenshot 2022-03-11 at 14.50.35.png
Are there any additional steps I need to complete? That is, do I need to flash the ESP32 again with the latest files in order to enable this function?

Kind regards

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

funkychimp wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:53 pmI have the new screen saver function set to yes in the Sys.ini but it does not appear to be working. I have ran the update script on my mister.
Are there any additional steps I need to complete? That is, do I need to flash the ESP32 again with the latest files in order to enable this function
When starting the MiSTer/Display tty2oled displays it's version in the lower left corner...please report this version. Actual version is 220219 and screensaver was implemented with version 220205. Lower versions just ignore "unknown commands".
salamantecas

Unread post by salamantecas »

I'm creating new images but I don't want to upload them one by one when I have enough I'll upload them. An example I hope you like them
soon i will bring easter eggs

IMG-20220312-WA0003.jpg
486.png
pruebaf.png
RealLarry
Top Contributor

salamantecas wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:01 am I'm creating new images but I don't want to upload them one by one when I have enough I'll upload them. An example I hope you like them
Nice ones! If they're fitting all needs we'll upload them as alternatives to the existing ones (xxx_altY.gsc).
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

I updated my TTY2OLED to the new user ini version and everything broke.
Updated the Arduino software by hand from the PC and that didn't fix it.
Removed all files, updated everything again, didn't work.

Turns out the user ini file is sensitive to encoding, line-endings or needs a return at the last line. I think it is the first two. UTF-8 with Linux-style LF is what it seems to need, so check that if things don't work.

EDIT: And the MiSTer Super Attract Mode script got fixed for TTY2OLED gray-scale. I just submitted a pull request for Venice's latest additions to that. The SAM script now uses MGL files, which makes it work a whole lot better, it is really cool in combination with TTY2OLED.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

LamerDeluxe wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:04 pmTurns out the user ini file is sensitive to encoding, line-endings or needs a return at the last line. I think it is the first two. UTF-8 with Linux-style LF is what it seems to need, so check that if things don't work.
Hmmm...interesting...how (type of OS) did you edited one or both INIs? Maybe that'll come into the game when editing an INI with Windows, which indeed saves a different LF character, and "sourcing" (reading and parsing) that INI within MiSTer (Linux) misinterpred these LF's.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

RealLarry wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:15 pm
LamerDeluxe wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:04 pmTurns out the user ini file is sensitive to encoding, line-endings or needs a return at the last line. I think it is the first two. UTF-8 with Linux-style LF is what it seems to need, so check that if things don't work.
Hmmm...interesting...how (type of OS) did you edited one or both INIs? Maybe that'll come into the game when editing an INI with Windows, which indeed saves a different LF character, and "sourcing" (reading and parsing) that INI within MiSTer (Linux) misinterpred these LF's.
I edited it (user settings) on Windows using Programmer's Notepad. No idea why that changed the encoding and line endings. I don't think it is supposed to do that.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

LamerDeluxe wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:22 pm
RealLarry wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:15 pm
I edited it (user settings) on Windows using Programmer's Notepad. No idea why that changed the encoding and line endings. I don't think it is supposed to do that.
Ah, okay, Windows. Regardless of what OS/Editor an user is using I'll add a small conversion fix to tty2oled, just to ensure a proper encoding of the INI's. Small fix, doesn't hurt and is helping all of us :)

EDIT: Hotfix online. Changed the startup script S60tty2oled so it'll re-encode both INI's every startup/restart.
salamantecas

RealLarry wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:31 am
salamantecas wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:01 am I'm creating new images but I don't want to upload them one by one when I have enough I'll upload them. An example I hope you like them
Nice ones! If they're fitting all needs we'll upload them as alternatives to the existing ones (xxx_altY.gsc).
https://www.mediafire.com/file/qc2atup5 ... es.7z/file
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Nice work, thank you! Pictures already uploaded. AO486 went to an alternative picture, salamander and secretagent are the new defaults, which sent the existing pictures to alternatives.
funkychimp

Hi RealLarry,

When the tty2oled starts it is showing a date of 200219. Does this mean I have to flash it again with the latest files?

Kind regards

Paul
RealLarry
Top Contributor

funkychimp wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:17 pmWhen the tty2oled starts it is showing a date of 200219. Does this mean I have to flash it again with the latest files?
Paul, please have another look at the date... 200219 is impossible as the first version was released in 2021/02 but showed no date at this time.
Edit: Beside of this: Your tty2oled/display is working and showing a picture when starting a core/game? You are missing the screensaver function only?
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

@funkychimp/Paul
The actual stable has "220219" written in the code.
https://github.com/venice1200/MiSTer_tt ... SB.ino#L30

Your update Screenshot above shows something like 220..
Means your Device should be up2date.

We need more infos and pictures for supporting you.

RealLarry
Top Contributor

A beta of Nemesis/GX400 core is available. Picture done and sheet updated.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4344
https://github.com/GX400-Friends/gx400-bin
salamantecas

although the real marquee of nemesis looks like that photo it looks a bit strange on the screen I made my own version, you know I like to make them original for whoever likes it there it goes

https://www.mediafire.com/file/9qdjfu00 ... s.gsc/file
RealLarry
Top Contributor

salamantecas wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:09 am although the real marquee of nemesis looks like that photo it looks a bit strange on the screen I made my own version, you know I like to make them original for whoever likes it there it goes
Highky appreciated. Your version is the new default, mine went to _alt1. Already uploaded.
I know that some (of my) pictures are looking somewhat washy or unsharp, but that's "my way", as I'm no pixel artist - and better having a nice-ish picture than nothing :)
Don't hesitate to have look at the gallery at https://venice1200.github.io/MiSTer_tty2oled_Pictures/, pick your favorite and give us your Bob Ross confection! Every improvement is welcome!
salamantecas

RealLarry wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:33 am
salamantecas wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:09 am although the real marquee of nemesis looks like that photo it looks a bit strange on the screen I made my own version, you know I like to make them original for whoever likes it there it goes
Highky appreciated. Your version is the new default, mine went to _alt1. Already uploaded.
I know that some (of my) pictures are looking somewhat washy or unsharp, but that's "my way", as I'm no pixel artist - and better having a nice-ish picture than nothing :)
Don't hesitate to have look at the gallery at https://venice1200.github.io/MiSTer_tty2oled_Pictures/, pick your favorite and give us your Bob Ross confection! Every improvement is welcome!
You are right, it is always better that there is an image if I can get on with the small screen too. I have taken the challenge and I have done the robocop one that I did not like, I hope you like it, I will be making more screens for everyone, I have a lot of fun and I like that they use them

my screen for robocop is here!!

https://www.mediafire.com/file/gxzi915v ... p.gsc/file
RealLarry
Top Contributor

salamantecas wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:17 amI have taken the challenge and I have done the robocop one that I did not like, I hope you like it, I will be making more screens for everyone, I have a lot of fun and I like that they use them

my screen for robocop is here!!
Hell, yes, that's it! You seem very talented at it. I'm very excited to see what's to come.
Yours is the new default, mine went to _alt1. Already uploaded.
robocop.jpg
And that's my picture for todays upcoming Road Fighter beta by Jotego. Not yet uploaded because of unclear "setname". EDIT: Just uploaded!
roadf.gif
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

Might be worth doing the Toaplan ones, a few of those are already playable on the beta core (are on the sheet).
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Moondandy wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:50 pm Might be worth doing the Toaplan ones, a few of those are already playable on the beta core (are on the sheet).
Thought about that while updating the sheet :) Do you have an URL?
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

RealLarry wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:56 pm
Moondandy wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:50 pm Might be worth doing the Toaplan ones, a few of those are already playable on the beta core (are on the sheet).
Thought about that while updating the sheet :) Do you have an URL?
A thread about it here:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4034&start=90
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Found some at github and some more in the sheet. Two were already done, but I've updated them. This is the result:
montage.jpg
Picture uploaded, sheet updated. Happy gaming!
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:04 pm EDIT: And the MiSTer Super Attract Mode script got fixed for TTY2OLED gray-scale. I just submitted a pull request for Venice's latest additions to that. The SAM script now uses MGL files, which makes it work a whole lot better, it is really cool in combination with TTY2OLED.
Did you get Problems with an active Screensaver and MiSTer SAM?
Maybe the Screensaver should be disabled with SAM Start.
Use something like

Code: Select all

echo "CMDSAVER,0,0,0" > ${TTYDEV}
for this.

venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

New tty2oled testing fw available.

It includes a shrinked core picture version for the screensaver, nothing more.
Some shrinked pictures look pretty good, some not ;)

Let me know what you think.