Darius Plus not loading as *.SGX (follow-up to initial GitHub issue#102-now closed)

tlaloc

Darius Plus not loading as *.SGX (follow-up to initial GitHub issue#102-now closed)

Unread post by tlaloc »

As was mentioned on https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/TurboGr ... issues/102, I found that my 786,432 byte-sized image of Darius Plus loaded as a *.PCE file, but not as an *.SGX within the latest iteration [20200526] of the MiSTer TGFX16 core.

Issue#102 was dismissed as being an issue specific to my image file for Darius Plus and not one of the core, in spite of the fact that it worked on the PCE side of things just fine.

In efforts towards finding out why it is that my 786,432 byte-sized image of Darius Plus doesn't load in SGX mode on the latest MiSTer TGFX16 core, is there anyone here kind enough to share with me what size in bytes their copy of their 'SGX-ready/working' Darius Plus image file is?

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum for these types of discussions/questions, but I feel I must ask again if someone (anyone) can please let me know what the correct size in bytes is of the proper rip of Darius Plus I should be using in order to allow for it to be playable in SGX mode?
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Re: Darius Plus not loading as *.SGX (follow-up to initial GitHub issue#102-now closed)

Unread post by Chris23235 »

The working Rom has the same byte size as yours, mine has the md5 3274eee61dae966e15822558940e5d4d.

Look for the Smoke Monster pack.
tlaloc

Re: Darius Plus not loading as *.SGX (follow-up to initial GitHub issue#102-now closed)

Unread post by tlaloc »

Thank you for helping point me in the right direction.
LeftEmpty

Unread post by LeftEmpty »

Isn't it ironic this is called Darius Plus while it looks like a stripped down version of Super Darius?
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

Perhaps, but it wouldn't be the first time a game company does a quick port for easy cash :)
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

Wouldn't call it a quick port, for what it is, Darius Plus is still an extremely impressive HuCard. Of course it's not as complete as Super Darius, but then it is just 512 KB. The Supergrafx version has less flicker, then even Super Darius, so I wouldn't say it's only a stripped down version of Super Darius.
ARCADEAGES

Unread post by ARCADEAGES »

LeftEmpty wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:38 am Isn't it ironic this is called Darius Plus while it looks like a stripped down version of Super Darius?
It's a boss rush which is on the same spectrum as a "caravan" or "summer carnival" shooter. Often used for high-score competitions.
dshadoff
Core Developer

Unread post by dshadoff »

ARCADEAGES wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:51 pm It's a boss rush which is on the same spectrum as a "caravan" or "summer carnival" shooter. Often used for high-score competitions.
That's Darius Alpha. Darius Plus is the HuCard version of Super Darius - because not everybody could afford a CD-ROM unit in 1990.