Sega Saturn Core in Development

metalfacemark

Re: Sega Saturn Core in Development

Unread post by metalfacemark »

I wonder if it would be possible to have a full screen option in the future on the saturn core?

I use a 240p/120hz modeline for my monitor which looks incredible but it does require the option for full screen otherwise the screen is squished, most cores have this option and it really looks fantastic but saturn is one that doesnt so i have to play it in standard 60hz mode.

Retro-Nerd

Unread post by Retro-Nerd »

Exhumed and Panzer Dragon 2 are fine on my MiSTer with the latest Core.

rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

Underwater sound appears to be fixed in Tomb Raider, and known play issues in Sega AGES appear to be resolved.

Alkadian
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alkadian »

Guys,
Could someone please confirm if Radiant Silvergun works with the lateat update with a single Ram setup?
Cheers

pac

Unread post by pac »

Works 99% fine for me. Minor graphical glitches to be seen on those 'rotating over the edge' scenarios while in transition from one scene to another. Playable until I loose all of my lives and continues every run ;-)

Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

I am having problems with the DualSDRAM versions from 20240315 and 20240318. Whenever I launch them I just get thrown back to the MiSTer main menu. Older DualSDRAM versions look fine and the singleRAM version von 20240315 also works.
Anybody else having trouble with these nightlies?

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Chris23235 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:28 pm

I am having problems with the DualSDRAM versions from 20240315 and 20240318. Whenever I launch them I just get thrown back to the MiSTer main menu. Older DualSDRAM versions look fine and the singleRAM version von 20240315 also works.
Anybody else having trouble with these nightlies?

It was broken for a while The latest one was fine though

Armakuni

Unread post by Armakuni »

The new Main core update is brilliant, some piece of work by Sergey

ZForceFFC

Unread post by ZForceFFC »

I ran the update all script this morning and do not see the new Saturn Core, and my older version is no longer visible. I only see two older builds I had installed to test. Anyone have a solution for this?

EDIT - I was able to fix this, turns out I had put some PC games on my main card and as a result, didn't have enough space to download the new core.

Chris23235
Top Contributor

Just tested the latest unstable release (20240324) and it was the first for me where the DualSDRAM version was working again. I tested some games with issues and the small audio cracking when a track starts is still present but it seems better then before.
To my surprise I saw that the Z-buffer issue in Panzer Dragoon Saga is fixed! I didn't expect this as it was present at least in the versions 2 weeks ago, this is awesome, all texture warping is now gone and apart from some white lines between the Polygons, from which I don't remember if they where on original hardware too, the game looks perfect to me.

Retro-Nerd

Unread post by Retro-Nerd »

I tested some games with issues and the small audio cracking when a track starts is still present but it seems better then before.

This was fixed with a MiSTer unstable release some days/weeks ago. Most recent sound issue is distortion in some games (mostly sfx). Introduced since the volume increase fix some core releases ago.

Chris23235
Top Contributor

Retro-Nerd wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:33 pm

I tested some games with issues and the small audio cracking when a track starts is still present but it seems better then before.

This was fixed with a MiSTer unstable release some days/weeks ago. Most recent sound issue is distortion in some games (mostly sfx). Introduced since the volume increase fix some core releases ago.

Nice to know, didn't tried the latest unstable MiSTer for a while.

MrsBison

Unread post by MrsBison »

SegaMan wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:53 am

Cant confirm that.
The latest core sounds horrible on my Mister.

Crackle Sound on Exhumed and Panzer Dragon 2.
Dont have this on older cores.

Tried it today with the latest unstable built. Works great. What a cool game

kind regards

im afraid your path ends here ... Jago

natadiem

Unread post by natadiem »

I hope there could be a full stretch option in the Saturn core. This is the only core without it. Makes it pretty unusable for all the non standard screen ratio.

Chris23235
Top Contributor

The Saturn core stopped working for me all of a sudden and I don't have any clue why. When I start the core (DUAL SDRAM or SINGLE RAM) the core only stays on a black screen for a few seconds and then goes back to the MiSTer menu.
I first thought my SD Card was corrupted but it is the same with a fresh installation. I even tried removing the second RAM module but it is the same.
I can't imagine anything then a hardware failure at this point but for a strange reason only the Saturn core is affected.
Anybody else has seen this?

EDIT: I removed the 2nd RAM module and this time I swapped the module from the 2nd slot to the first and it works again with 1 module. It guess on of my modules went to RAM heaven.

metalfacemark

Unread post by metalfacemark »

natadiem wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:51 am

I hope there could be a full stretch option in the Saturn core. This is the only core without it. Makes it pretty unusable for all the non standard screen ratio.

This is what i hope too - it would mean it could run in 120hz 240p mode like the other cores.