Analog output (Composite/svideo)

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
tillbaks

Analog output (Composite/svideo)

Unread post by tillbaks »

Hello I'm looking for some help.
I've got the IO board and I'm trying to capture the analog video with an easycap USB video grabber.

VGA out works but I can't get any signal on svideo or composite connectors. Is this even supported or do I need some special vga adapter? I got this adapter currently: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B071CJN93H

Edit:
Just saw a video with lon an smokemonster saying composite is not supported. Is it the same for s-video?
So I would need a VGA to composite converter?

Maybe I should just get a capture card with VGA input like https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00PC5HUA6 ?
mathieulh

Re: Analog output (Composite/svideo)

Unread post by mathieulh »

You would need to go RGBS to composite, there are converters for that. What you call VGA is RGBS (RGB over DB15), VGA has both horizontal and vertical syncs and starts at 31khz, if you were truly going VGA (which MiSTer also does support using the scandoubler) to composite, you would need to go through a downscaler.

If you do go VGA at 480p (31khz) I would advise to go through direct video rather than the IO board, the later has a gain issue making everything look too dim, it's not very visible at 15khz (SD) but it is quite noticeable at higher resolutions or on a PC CRT.
tillbaks

Re: Analog output (Composite/svideo)

Unread post by tillbaks »

Hmm okay.. I kind of need the HDMI port to plug into my LCD so that's not an option.

I didn't notice any difference in brightness when I tried a VGA cable from mister to my LCD with the scandoubler enabled. Do you mean it could be dimmer if I use the output of the scaler instead? so 1080p out of the hdmi and vga

I'll just get the startech capture card. Seems like the most versatile option since it can do both component, VGA and HDMI capture.
When I finally find a CRT I can use it for HDMI capture as well to avoid capture issues in the future. xD