MiSTer Multisystem - All-in-One System

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
Sigismond0

Re: MiSTer Multisystem - All-in-One System

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

Fit and finish on the I2C2OLED dust cover is perfect. Even matches the recommended button colors! Go make one!

https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/12 ... dust-cover

Mfiv0CO.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Looks really good :)
Any Problems with the software installation?
Leave some comments and please share some Photos with the internal cables in the i2c2oled thread if you like.

My MiSTer Add-On-Projects tty2oled, i2c2oled, SNAC2IEC
You can donate by sending a Postcard to me.

GurnettGamer

Unread post by GurnettGamer »

With the work being done on the Saturn core, it looks like this will require 256MB RAM to run. Is there an option with the Multisystem to add a second 128MB, so the Saturn core can be used?
annette

Unread post by annette »

GurnettGamer wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:39 pm Is there an option with the Multisystem to add a second 128MB, so the Saturn core can be used?
no, see the below reply i had from the boards creator.
multisystem wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:27 pm We don't want to make this design into something that can accommodate two SDRAM modules
viewtopic.php?p=36782#p36782
Cyber Akuma

Unread post by Cyber Akuma »

Sigismond0 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:22 am Fit and finish on the I2C2OLED dust cover is perfect. Even matches the recommended button colors! Go make one!

https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/12 ... dust-cover
First I have heard of this, but I do love the idea. Is that screen using any port that the Multisystem or any other accessories normally use? Or is it generally an unused port?

Also going by the github page for the i2c2oled, I am going to need to manually add support for and configure this, but do I need to re-install/configure it every time MiSTer's main package is updated, or will the bash script keep working throughout updates?
Sigismond0

It connects to the RTC module. If you use a regular RTC, you'll have a little soldering to do. If you get one from Antonio Villena, it'll have the I2C port already there to plug the OLED into. You can also do it without an RTC board, but you'll need to make up an adapter PCB with resistors. I just used Antonio's board for ease of use.
You can pull down the i2c2oled updater with the Update_All script. Once you have it, run it once to pull down images. You should only need to update when there are new cores or if i2c2oled gets new features. There's not really any configuring to do, it should just be plug and play really. I haven't touched any config files at all.
Hull_klogan

Unread post by Hull_klogan »

I'm in the process of gathering everything together for my MiSTer multisystem build and was wondering if anyone has been successful in using a multisystem with an MT32-Pi.

I would like to be able to also have a USB SSD plugged in for extra space, but I'm not sure if I can have both an MT-32 and a USB SSD plugged in at the same time. Do I need to plug the MT 32 into the DE10 nano?

Appreciate the help!! :D
Sigismond0

MT-32 uses the serial port, which the Multisystem has. If you don't go Multisystem, you'll need an IO board for that. SSD will use the USB ports, so no issues with conflict there.
Hull_klogan

Unread post by Hull_klogan »

Sigismond0 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:12 am MT-32 uses the serial port, which the Multisystem has. If you don't go Multisystem, you'll need an IO board for that. SSD will use the USB ports, so no issues with conflict there.

Excellent! Thank you for the help.
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Cyber Akuma wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:30 pm …but do I need to re-install/configure it every time MiSTer's main package is updated, or will the bash script keep working throughout updates?
i2c2oled should be „mister-update-resistent“ :mrgreen:

See viewtopic.php?p=34597#p34597

Cyber Akuma

Hull_klogan wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:17 pm I'm in the process of gathering everything together for my MiSTer multisystem build and was wondering if anyone has been successful in using a multisystem with an MT32-Pi.
Was just looking into this, and wondering how it could be integrated if in any way to the Multisystem. I figured it wasn't possible without an entirely different top part of the cover since a Pi would just be too big, but apparently there are versions of the MT32-Pi that use a PiZero instead of a standard sized Pi for the purpose of incorporating them into cases? I have no idea how well a PiZero would perform as a MIDI emulator over a standard PI though. IIRC the designs are still prototype anyway. But I wonder if it would be possible with a PiZero to have them be small enough to fit both a MT32-Pi and the i2c2oled into that removable front cover.
Sigismond0

Cyber Akuma wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:49 am Was just looking into this, and wondering how it could be integrated if in any way to the Multisystem. I figured it wasn't possible without an entirely different top part of the cover since a Pi would just be too big, but apparently there are versions of the MT32-Pi that use a PiZero instead of a standard sized Pi for the purpose of incorporating them into cases? I have no idea how well a PiZero would perform as a MIDI emulator over a standard PI though. IIRC the designs are still prototype anyway.
The Zero version of MT-32PI is official, so performance must at least be acceptable.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Hardwar ... 32PiHat_LT
Cyber Akuma wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:49 amBut I wonder if it would be possible with a PiZero to have them be small enough to fit both a MT32-Pi and the i2c2oled into that removable front cover.
You wouldn't be able to use the official lite hat because of how the USB port is mounted, and a regular MT-32PI hat is is too big. But if someone makes a hat that's the same profile as the Zero, it should comfortably fit. Just need to edit the top cover with some screw bosses:

Rpcf8yQ.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
amstan

Unread post by amstan »

I wonder if Heber's working on an official multisystem mt32-pi, the inclusion of the PCI-e shaped expansion port is too suspicious for it not to do that.

Meanwhile, anyone waiting for batch 2?
towd

Unread post by towd »

amstan wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:32 am I wonder if Heber's working on an official multisystem mt32-pi, the inclusion of the PCI-e shaped expansion port is too suspicious for it not to do that.
they 100% have plans for mt32 as well as other addons - it's been mentioned on their discord quite number of times. no eta as far as i know.
german_user

Unread post by german_user »

there was a recent poll on Twitter where people could vote on which of the announced modules they wanted to see first. The majority opted for the MT32 Pi module. So that will come first.
amstan

Unread post by amstan »

german_user wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:45 pm there was a recent poll on Twitter where people could vote on which of the announced modules they wanted to see first. The majority opted for the MT32 Pi module. So that will come first.
That's cool! Do you have a link to that poll? I would like to see the other options too.
multisystem

Unread post by multisystem »

Yes, we are working on expansion 'cartridges' for the Multisystem, and also other electronics for the Multisystem/MiSTer family.

Mt32Pi 'cartridge' modules is first on the list after the recent poll.

We have lots of 'ugly' prototypes :) - when they start to look nicer, I will post some images and spec's etc.

Batch 2 is on the way, and batch 3 is not too far behind.

If only we could all buy DE10-nanos... :(

Also still very happy for any and all suggestions, we can always do more if the community wants/needs things for the Multisystem and MiSTer...
neogeo81

Unread post by neogeo81 »

multisystem wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:43 pm Yes, we are working on expansion 'cartridges' for the Multisystem, and also other electronics for the Multisystem/MiSTer family.

We have lots of 'ugly' prototypes :) - when they start to look nicer, I will post some images and spec's etc.

Also still very happy for any and all suggestions, we can always do more if the community wants/needs things for the Multisystem and MiSTer...
My wishlist would be:
1. MT32Pi with Pi Zero 2
2. TTYOLED Display
3. SNAC Adapter Cartridges
multisystem

Thank you, I like all of those suggestions. watch this space...

neogeo81 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:57 pm
multisystem wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:43 pm Yes, we are working on expansion 'cartridges' for the Multisystem, and also other electronics for the Multisystem/MiSTer family.

My wishlist would be:
1. MT32Pi with Pi Zero 2
2. TTYOLED Display
3. SNAC Adapter Cartridges
Cyber Akuma

Happy to hear, one of the main things I wanted that felt missing from the Multisystem was Mt32Pi. Would it be possible to incorporate the OLED display Sigismond0 showed into the MT32Pi cartridge since it seems like there might be room to put both in that area if a PiZero is used? Since the Mt32Pi usually has a screen anyway, it would be useful if when the Midi emulation is not in use, the screen functions like a I2C2OLED add-on.
multisystem

Hi Everyone,

Quick update (not an April fool) -

The revised / Evolved 3D printed enclosure design for the MiSTer Multusystem is now fully published up on Printables.com -
https://www.printables.com/model/159379 ... ole-/files

If you have any questions about the files or design changes, just let me know - have fun printing and do show us if you decide to 3D print your own enclosure or make changes to the design etc.
Multisystem_V5_Rainbow_Medium_SIZE.jpg
multisystem

We will also have Cartridges and various other expansion add-on's this year.

This is the Pi cartridge about to go into production, with others in various prototype stages.

Multisystem_with_Pi_Cartridge_V5_2022_low_res.jpg
multisystem

Interested in any feedback / questions on the new V5 Enclosure design -
MMS_V5_Case_Finished.jpg
It has tonnes of quality of life updates, easier to print, virtually no support material and clean print finish -
MMS_Backcover_step1.jpg
Front_panel_USB_Insert.jpg
MMS_Back_SSD_HDD_Mount_type2_SATA1.jpg
MMS_Back_SSD_HDD_Mount_type1.jpg
Armas

Unread post by Armas »

I just watched the video about the new case from YouTube. The upgrade looks good and it's definitely the way to go if you don't have a case yet. Do you think that the owners of the original case should also upgrade?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKfKn7orkYc
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

multisystem wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:45 am Hi Everyone,

Quick update (not an April fool) -

The revised / Evolved 3D printed enclosure design for the MiSTer Multusystem is now fully published up on Printables.com -
https://www.printables.com/model/159379 ... ole-/files

If you have any questions about the files or design changes, just let me know - have fun printing and do show us if you decide to 3D print your own enclosure or make changes to the design etc.

Multisystem_V5_Rainbow_Medium_SIZE.jpg
i have to say, i love these colours.
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

multisystem wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:48 am We will also have Cartridges and various other expansion add-on's this year.

This is the Pi cartridge about to go into production, with others in various prototype stages.
Is this a MT32-pi Cartridge?
If yes, is this the final position for the little MT32 display?

luiz-lfg

Unread post by luiz-lfg »

Sorry for the question, but how was the scart cable connection?
multisystem

venice wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:08 am
multisystem wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:48 am We will also have Cartridges and various other expansion add-on's this year.

Is this a MT32-pi Cartridge?
If yes, is this the final position for the little MT32 display?
This image was just the prototype PCB, so not yet completed the final, style, shape and functions yet. I'll pop up more images when we have a completed design. - all feedback is highly appreciated, many thanks.
multisystem

Armas wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:19 am I just watched the video about the new case from YouTube. The upgrade looks good and it's definitely the way to go if you don't have a case yet. Do you think that the owners of the original case should also upgrade?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKfKn7orkYc
The original classic case is perfectly good to use for as long as you wish. This new revision was based on all feedback and improving overall print reliability and quality on the print farm. The design incorporates as many little tweaks as possible to improve overall ease of use and function.

The new design style is a little different, so if you prefer the original, then stick with that.