9.7" iPad Retina Screen Perfect for MiSTer, $60 Fully Assembled 😄

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
Missus

Re: 9.7" iPad Retina Screen Perfect for MiSTer, $60 Fully Assembled 😄

Unread post by Missus »

MikkyTee wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:14 pm

Well, finally took the plunge on one of these and I'm quite impressed with this screen. I thought it may have been too small, but once you load up a game it doesn't seem to matter. Packed well and arrived quickly. Really nice display, no defects i can see and perfect with an iPad stand. How are you guys powering this? The psu & barrel jack is not ideal so i would like to sort something better along with an L adaptor for the hdmi cable, and the menu is in Chinese so need to fix that too. I'm using amazon basics mini HDMI as was recommended in this thread, thanks to op for the heads up.

Congrats. I would recommend U adapters instead of L.
I suggested some in a previous post in this thread.

MikkyTee

Unread post by MikkyTee »

Missus wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:05 pm

Well, finally took the plunge on one of these and I'm quite impressed with this screen. I thought it may have been too small, but once you load up a game it doesn't seem to matter. Packed well and arrived quickly. Really nice display, no defects i can see and perfect with an iPad stand. How are you guys powering this? The psu & barrel jack is not ideal so i would like to sort something better along with an L adaptor for the hdmi cable, and the menu is in Chinese so need to fix that too. I'm using amazon basics mini HDMI as was recommended in this thread, thanks to op for the heads up.

Ah Yes, i meant U shape doh.. :)

MikkyTee

Missus wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:05 pm

While your here, can you point me in the direction of those u shape adaptors, also how do you power yours? I need to get away from the barrel jack cable quickly.

Warren

Unread post by Warren »

Warren wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:02 am
limi wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:16 am

No, this is not an issue with the DE-10 nano as far as I am aware. In most cases it comes down to the HDMI cable not being capable of the sufficient bandwidth needed. See earlier comments from people trying 3-4 cables before finding one that actually works. Do not use the included cable — as mentioned in the original post — it is not up to the task.

Ordered one from Cable Matters and they have been reliable so odd it does not work correctly.Went back and saw someone said an Amazon Basics one works so ordered it and a Monoprice one. Will report back if one of them works when I get them Friday.

Been awhile since I updated on the situation with the display I got, but ended up being I got sent it back. I did I could not get the one I got to work at all without the video cutting in and out no matter what settings I adjusted in the ini settings. Long story short, the seller was very hard to deal with not accepting a return so got Paypal involved and I was able to return it. Out $50 on shipping back despite messaging the seller numerous times to cover it because the monitor was defective, but got a full refund on the purchase at least. Not sure how many others experienced the same issues I did with the display or had the same issues trying to deal with the seller.

The upside though is I decided to go in with the assembled display Laser Bear sells and have had no issues with the video cutting in and out. It was much more, but the quality is worth the cost.

Missus

Unread post by Missus »

MikkyTee wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:39 pm

While your here, can you point me in the direction of those u shape adaptors, also how do you power yours? I need to get away from the barrel jack cable quickly.

I already relinked my original post with links for someone else. Search my posts or go back one page.

I power it via 5V USB.

GreyAreaUK

Unread post by GreyAreaUK »

Looks like the one I ordered may be arriving a lot earlier than I expected - it's cleared UK customs and is apparently 'out for delivery' (although I suspect that just means it's moving up from London to Edinburgh).

Did any other UK buyer end up having to pay any import duty? I've seen no sign of that yet, but I won't be too surprised if it does.

Second, could some kind soul point me to the post that shows you how to set the OSD to English? This thread's getting a little unwieldy :)

Many thanks.

Orbiting inside the Roche Limit of sanity.
MikkyTee

Well im in N.Ireland and didn't pay anything so i don't think you will. My delivery was quick too, and got tracking all the way. Pretty good service tbh. Just got my usb power sorted yesterday, now i need to get a hdmi u adaptor to match and its all good. I tried to set the menu too with the details from here but i couldn't get it right, will try again later on.

GreyAreaUK

MikkyTee wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:54 am

Well im in N.Ireland and didn't pay anything so i don't think you will. My delivery was quick too, and got tracking all the way. Pretty good service tbh. Just got my usb power sorted yesterday, now i need to get a hdmi u adaptor to match and its all good. I tried to set the menu too with the details from here but i couldn't get it right, will try again later on.

I've ordered this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07TD515P2/. (HDMI <-> USB C adaptor)
and this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0B1J3QHL7/. (USB C 'U' adaptor)

which look right, so I'm hoping. Although I'm a little concerned the 'U' adaptors may be too narrow for the case, but we'll see.
I already have a short, 4K-rated HDMI <-> HDMI cable, so I think I'm good there.

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

GreyAreaUK wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:59 am
MikkyTee wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:54 am

I've ordered this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07TD515P2/. (HDMI <-> USB C adaptor)

which look right, so I'm hoping. Although I'm a little concerned the 'U' adaptors may be too narrow for the case, but we'll see.
I already have a short, 4K-rated HDMI <-> HDMI cable, so I think I'm good there.

I'm using these:
https://www.amazon.nl/dp/B09KG463G7
https://www.amazon.nl/dp/B0BDZ2RNBJ

Note that the display is using a mini-HDMI connector. I have the same USB-c version of the display. I think your USB U adapter will fit.

GreyAreaUK

Mine just arrive - a week earlier than estimated.

First impressions: surprisingly well packed. Lots of bubble-wrap inside. The supplied HDMI cable seems to work ok, but I'm not at the high-res yet. Better one ordered 'just in case'. The stand it comes with is simple but useful as a carry stand - I could easily see me taking it on holiday. A better stand is required, but I'll look into that.

No import duty. Turned up via a lass in a car, so no idea who the carrier is!

So far - impressed.

Edit additional: changed to mode 13 and dvi_mode 0 (I was using external speaker). The cable is clearly not quite up to the demands, although if you're happy with the lower res it's fine.

The speakers are better than nothing but not as good as my cheap-ish externals. No bass to speak of.

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

GreyAreaUK wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:33 pm

Mine just arrive - a week earlier than estimated.

First impressions: surprisingly well packed. Lots of bubble-wrap inside. The supplied HDMI cable seems to work ok, but I'm not at the high-res yet. Better one ordered 'just in case'. The stand it comes with is simple but useful as a carry stand - I could easily see me taking it on holiday. A better stand is required, but I'll look into that.

No import duty. Turned up via a lass in a car, so no idea who the carrier is!

So far - impressed.

Edit additional: changed to mode 13 and dvi_mode 0 (I was using external speaker). The cable is clearly not quite up to the demands, although if you're happy with the lower res it's fine.

The speakers are better than nothing but not as good as my cheap-ish externals. No bass to speak of.

I was surprised that the included HDMI cable did work for mode 13 here. The speakers are indeed just functional. The headphone out works well enough though. I also like that you can adjust the brightness of the display.

I'm quite happy with the stand that I got for it. Not very cheap, but it works great.

GreyAreaUK

LamerDeluxe wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:06 pm

I also like that you can adjust the brightness of the display.

I may have to wait until I can change the OSD language before I can do that - the brightness is ok, but could do with being a tad brighter.

Edit: just found the following instructions for the OSD:

Menu down down down
Menu Menu
Down down down menu (english)

but I can't seem to get it to work...I get as far as the second line, but the menus go away. I also can't bring up the firmware info, although I'm probably doing it wrong.

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

GreyAreaUK wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:16 pm
LamerDeluxe wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:06 pm

I also like that you can adjust the brightness of the display.

I may have to wait until I can change the OSD language before I can do that - the brightness is ok, but could do with being a tad brighter.

Edit: just found the following instructions for the OSD:

Menu down down down
Menu Menu
Down down down menu (english)

but I can't seem to get it to work...I get as far as the second line, but the menus go away. I also can't bring up the firmware info, although I'm probably doing it wrong.

Setting the brightness is [down]. Like [up] is for setting volume.

The menu is different with this model:
menu
up, up , up
menu
down
menu
up/down to change language, menu to confirm.

GreyAreaUK

Perfect, thank you very much!

Link83

Unread post by Link83 »

I'm thinking of ordering this and wondered if the two adapters you linked worked fine together with the MiSTer and this screen? Also are they capable of powering the screen as well over the HDMI cable/USB C Adapter? (I'm runnning my HDMI cable through a splitter with external power, so the screen would not be powered directly from the MiSTer's HDMI port) It would be very convenient if I could just run the one cable to the screen for both power and video, rather than two separate cables.

Missus

Unread post by Missus »

:P

Link83 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:57 pm

I'm thinking of ordering this and wondered if the two adapters you linked worked fine together with the MiSTer and this screen? Also are they capable of powering the screen as well over the HDMI cable/USB C Adapter? (I'm runnning my HDMI cable through a splitter with external power, so the screen would not be powered directly from the MiSTer's HDMI port) It would be very convenient if I could just run the one cable to the screen for both power and video, rather than two separate cables.

My display worked fine with a 1A 5V USB adapter.

I've not used a usbc-hdmi adapter like Grey-area linked, I dont know if that will work.

I opted for u-shaped mini-hdmi to full size hdmi and a u-shaped usb-c for power.

The only single cable solution I've tested that does work is when directly connected to a laptop over usb-c. I dont think attempting to power the screen via 5V over HDMI is possible/recommended.

GreyAreaUK

Missus wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:14 pm

I've not used a usbc-hdmi adapter like Grey-area linked, I dont know if that will work.

I think it will, but I'm not 100% sure. When I was messing with the OSD before I got it into English, it sort of implied you could choose the video input from HDMI, USB C, or some Chinese characters that I'd be prepared to bet read 'Auto'. In theory I've got the cables to test this turning up either today or tomorrow.

Missus wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:14 pm

I dont think attempting to power the screen via 5V over HDMI is possible/recommended.

Yeah, that's not something I'd be willing to try, given how touchy the DE10 can be where electricity is concerned!

skipH

Unread post by skipH »

I'm another very happy camper! My display came yesterday in perfect condition and it looks completely new and it's beautiful!

However like several others I was unable to change the menu to English using any of the key sequences I found in this thread.

I messed around for a while and found a sequence that works for this me:

Press the Menu button to bring up the OSD then up, up, up, menu, down, menu.

You are now selecting the display language, click up or down to select your desired language then click menu to select it.

Once in a language you can read it's easy to find the reset menu. I don't know if reset does a factory reset or not, but after doing a reset the display well resets but when it comes back up the language you selected is still active.

Entering the burn in test screen is the same as other's have mentioned, disconnect any inputs, turn it off and then turn it back on while holding the menu button.

One nice option you can select from the test screen is doubling the size of the OSD... a GREAT help for my old eyes!

For the record the test menu displays "JG255TB 20220607V251" for my dual HDMI version.

I haven't hooked it up to my MiSTer yet so I can't report on what refresh rates it supports yet.

Skip

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

skipH wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:04 pm

I'm another very happy camper! My display came yesterday in perfect condition and it looks completely new and it's beautiful!

However like several others I was unable to change the menu to English using any of the key sequences I found in this thread.

I messed around for a while and found a sequence that works for this me:

Press the Menu button to bring up the OSD then up, up, up, menu, down, menu.

That is exactly the sequence I described in my post yesterday :D

Enjoy your display! It is perfect for the MiSTer.

GreyAreaUK

Ok - can confirm that the HDMI to USB C adaptor does not appear to work, despite USB C being a valid input source. I may have something else misconfigured, but it’s no biggie.

Missus

Unread post by Missus »

GreyAreaUK wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:42 pm

Ok - can confirm that the HDMI to USB C adaptor does not appear to work, despite USB C being a valid input source. I may have something else misconfigured, but it’s no biggie.

usb-c is a valid video input when connected to a laptop.

i can connect a single usb-c cable to my laptop and it will get power and video.

GreyAreaUK

Missus wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:50 pm
GreyAreaUK wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:42 pm

usb-c is a valid video input when connected to a laptop.

i can connect a single usb-c cable to my laptop and it will get power and video.

Hmmm. Might be an adaptor thing, but it's largely academic as I have a 4k-rated HDMI<->MiniHDMI working, so I'll go with that for now.

Might revisit later though.

GreyAreaUK

(laugh!) Ok, so, important note: if buying a mini-HDMI U adaptor, it's vitally important to make sure the mini-HDMI plug is angled the right way. The sloped side of the mini-HDMI needs to be facing outwards, not inwards.

Guess who ordered (and took delivery of) the wrong one? Yep. Silly mistake. Less than £8 so not a tragedy, but still feeling a bit foolish :)

remowilliams

Unread post by remowilliams »

I tried one of the U shaped microUSB connectors linked and it does not work. It will not power the display properly no matter what power source or cable is used.

I did get around to applying an oleophobic coating to the display and that worked perfectly :)

GreyAreaUK

The USB C U adaptors I bought worked perfectly. I'm still not sure why I can't get a display from the HDMI->USB C adaptor. Might revisit that at some point.

Edit: tried it again, but still no joy. I even tried setting the input specifically to USB C (rather the the default of AutoSelect) but nope. To be clear, I'm still using a separate power lead to power the display, I'm not relying on power coming from the HDMI interface on the MiSTer.

Lightwave

Unread post by Lightwave »

remowilliams wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:41 pm

I did get around to applying an oleophobic coating to the display and that worked perfectly :)

Did you mean a screen protector with an oleophobic coating? Or was it an actual spray/liquid coating that you treated the screen with?

remowilliams

Unread post by remowilliams »

Lightwave wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:59 am

Did you mean a screen protector with an oleophobic coating? Or was it an actual spray/liquid coating that you treated the screen with?

A liquid oleophobic applied directly. I've seen almost nothing with fingerprint issues like this screen. It almost sucks them off your fingers from a distance, and then it's intensely annoying to clean once you accidentally touch it.

That's fixed now :)

Lightwave

Unread post by Lightwave »

remowilliams wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:25 pm
Lightwave wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:59 am

A liquid oleophobic applied directly.

Thanks, I wasn't aware such a thing existed; I'll have to look into that.

Missus

Unread post by Missus »

remowilliams wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:41 pm

I tried one of the U shaped microUSB connectors linked and it does not work. It will not power the display properly no matter what power source or cable is used.

if the cable and power adapter you are using will work when directly connected, but not with the adapter, then perhaps you just got a dud? no other reason why it wouldnt work.

there isnt any magic or logic happening inside the adapter, just pins connecting together.

jd213

Unread post by jd213 »

Got the version of this monitor with VGA input a while back, and a nice bonus is that it will display 240p RGBS from a retro console (although the Genesis I tried showed some strange vertical line noise and fairly thick borders) if you have a cable or adapter.

Obviously not needed for MiSTer, but it's nice to have if you still like to play original hardware from time to time.