9.7" iPad Retina Screen Perfect for MiSTer, $60 Fully Assembled 😄

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
chimaera

Re: 9.7" iPad Retina Screen Perfect for MiSTer, $60 Fully Assembled 😄

Unread post by chimaera »

I've just got the USB-C version and it works great!
I was just wondering if anyone has "optimal" settings for RGB on the display? HDR?

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

I don’t think it's an HDR display.

chimaera

Perhaps not, but specs says HDR400 on aliexpress and there is a UltraHDR mode in the settings

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

Ah, OK. I haven’t explored the menus much, just assumed it didn’t have that capability since it wasn’t advertised as such by Apple back in the day.

chimaera

I see, well knowing aliexpress, the specs could be wrong, and the option may be some kind of pseudo hdr.

Either way, i disabled autoHDR and used the settings I found here (for another screen, but I think they worked well on this display too): viewtopic.php?p=75649#p75649

I am quite happy with how it looks now!

SuperFrog

Unread post by SuperFrog »

With me moving over 50, not sure that I would opt for 10" screen... Multiply by 3-5 and now we're talking. :)

For mobile and small screen need there is always steam deck.

Missus

Unread post by Missus »

SuperFrog wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:33 am

With me moving over 50, not sure that I would opt for 10" screen... Multiply by 3-5 and now we're talking. :)

For most users the iPads low cost, high resolution/high ppi screen and retro gaming friendly aspect ratio are the main selling points.

As a direct comparison:

Steamdeck
7 inch
1280x800 resolution @ 215 ppi (pixels per inch)
16:10 aspect ratio

iPad display
9.7 inch
2048x1536 @ 264 ppi
4:3 aspect ratio

Quite literally Apple to Orange.

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

SuperFrog wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:33 am

I'm slightly over fifty, use reading glasses and I love this display.

It has the highest resolution at a 4:3 aspect ratio that MiSTer can handle. Which is fantastic for scan-lines and shadow masks, as well as clean upscaling in general.
Image quality is really good.
It is very portable, I take it with me to events.
You can easily turn it vertically. I have a perfect stand for it now, that makes it even easier.
Mine doubles as a USB-C display, works great with my laptop.
Brightness can easily be adjusted with a small lever, no menu-diving, great for the evening.
Audio is serviceable, but it also has a handy headphone jack.

I also recently got a Steam Deck. It is great for everything the MiSTer can't handle, as well as the older stuff.

PistolsAtDawn

Unread post by PistolsAtDawn »

I wholeheartedly agree. The screen only seems small at first glance. Add that stand that LamerDeluxe recommended (I got one, it's really nice) and you can adjust it for whatever perfect angle you need. After that the screen's resolution makes all the filters and shadowmasks look fantastic. It feels bigger than it is after that's all setup.

offset

Unread post by offset »

Just wanted to say thanks for those that recommend complimentary hardware for this screen, I love this monitor and works great on my desk alongside my daily PC.

Had to order a second screen protector as I messed up installing it the first time. Taping the edge of the protector and slowly applying it worked, just a bit nerve wracking.

Including some pictures.

Attachments
IMG_9607.JPG
IMG_9607.JPG (2.66 MiB) Viewed 84209 times
IMG_9591.JPG
IMG_9591.JPG (2.22 MiB) Viewed 84213 times
IMG_9593.JPG
IMG_9593.JPG (2.63 MiB) Viewed 84213 times
IMG_9601.JPG
IMG_9601.JPG (3.04 MiB) Viewed 84213 times
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

offset wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:30 pm

Just wanted to say thanks for those that recommend complimentary hardware for this screen, I love this monitor and works great on my desk alongside my daily PC.

Had to order a second screen protector as I messed up installing it the first time. Taping the edge of the protector and slowly applying it worked, just a bit nerve wracking.

Including some pictures.

The stand is really great, I like how it can lift up the display as well, which makes viewing it more comfortable.
The 180 degree adapters clean things up nicely.

You also have the exact same acrylic MiSTer housing as me, I really love that color.

I think I need to apply a screen protector as well, I was cleaning the display yesterday and it seemed almost impossible, I was afraid I might have scuffed it in the process.

Fuzzball

Unread post by Fuzzball »

Is there anything similar to this that is 14+ inches? I have an 11 inch iPad and I personally wouldn’t want to play on that let alone 9.7.

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

Not that I’m aware of. There could theoretically be one that was based on the 12.9 inch iPad display, but I don’t think anyone has made a driver board for that one.

There are probably other sizes of mini-monitors available, but the great thing about this display is its color quality and its extremely fast response rate.

tdmax7377

Unread post by tdmax7377 »

Including some pictures.

hi bro, I bought the same monitor 9.7 inch ipad retina 2048x1536, on Aliexpress, and I want to glue the protective glass on top of the screen, as you did .. but I can’t find a glass of such dimensions, from which model did you take the glass.? thanks again bro

tdmax7377

Unread post by tdmax7377 »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:55 pm

Including some pictures.

The stand is really great, I like how it can lift up the display as well, which makes viewing it more comfortable.
The 180 degree adapters clean things up nicely.

You also have the exact same acrylic MiSTer housing as me, I really love that color.

I think I need to apply a screen protector as well, I was cleaning the display yesterday and it seemed almost impossible, I was afraid I might have scuffed it in the process.

From which tablet did you use the protective glass bro? I would be grateful

offset

Unread post by offset »

The original recommendation for the screen protector is in this post (viewtopic.php?p=74199#p74199)

The ebay link from that post is https://www.ebay.com/itm/284678842499

Make sure to order the correct size: 196 x 147 mm

Missus

Unread post by Missus »

offset wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:47 am

The original recommendation for the screen protector is in this post (viewtopic.php?p=74199#p74199)

The ebay link from that post is https://www.ebay.com/itm/284678842499

Make sure to order the correct size: 196 x 147 mm

These are now sold out! The seller has to wonder why this particular size was so popular :)

I have been assured notification of a restock of this item but I believe the likelihood of that to be slim.

If anyone else has a lead on other screen protectors of this (or the exact) size, please add what you've found!

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

I've been experimenting with HDR output a bit, these are the settings that work well with my USB-C version:

hdr=2 (the display doesn't respond to mode 1, with mode 2 the display reports HDR in the status information in its menu and brightness can no longer be adjusted)

I didn't really notice much of a difference adjusting these parameters, so they are at their default values:
hdr_max_nits=1000
hdr_avg_nits=250
The seller reports a maximum brightness of 550 nits for this display, but who knows what it expects as a maximum brightness value in the incoming HDR signal.

I only adjusted brightness and contrast here, it gives it a bit of a CRT pop, colors look fine with these settings:
video_brightness=56
video_contrast=44
video_saturation=100
video_hue=0
video_gain_offset=1,0,1,0,1,0

Try brightness 57 and contrast 43 if this is slightly too contrasty for your taste.

HDR support on MiSTer is meant to compensate for brightness loss due to using scanline and shadow mask filters.

chimaera

LamerDeluxe wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:33 am

I've been experimenting with HDR output a bit, these are the settings that work well with my USB-C version:

hdr=2 (the display doesn't respond to mode 1, with mode 2 the display reports HDR in the status information in its menu and brightness can no longer be adjusted)

I didn't really notice much of a difference adjusting these parameters, so they are at their default values:
hdr_max_nits=1000
hdr_avg_nits=250
The seller reports a maximum brightness of 550 nits for this display, but who knows what it expects as a maximum brightness value in the incoming HDR signal.

I only adjusted brightness and contrast here, it gives it a bit of a CRT pop, colors look fine with these settings:
video_brightness=56
video_contrast=44
video_saturation=100
video_hue=0

Try brightness 57 and contrast 43 if this is slightly too contrasty for your taste.

HDR support on MiSTer is meant to compensate for brightness loss due to using scanline and shadow mask filters.

What settings do you have on the screen itself?

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

chimaera wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:48 pm
LamerDeluxe wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:33 am

hdr_max_nits=1000
hdr_avg_nits=250

video_brightness=56
video_contrast=44
video_saturation=100
video_hue=0

What settings do you have on the screen itself?

Just the default settings (hdr is set to 'auto' on the display by default).

chimaera

Ok, I tried your settings but the colors seemed bland and washed out.
I looked through my screen settings and realised I had turned HDR off so I turned it back to auto and now it looks great

GeoNeo

Unread post by GeoNeo »

What are the best settings for PSX core so it stops dropping video signal all the time?

chimaera

GeoNeo wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:54 am

What are the best settings for PSX core so it stops dropping video signal all the time?

A quality cable, really. I had the same problem until i bought a quality cable.

Normally, it Will drop signal each time it changes resolution

stepea

Unread post by stepea »

Bought the Ulanzi monitor stand which looks quite good but previously bought the laserbear 3d printed case and they both don't fit together. Not sure what my options are.

cursedverses

Unread post by cursedverses »

stepea wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:25 am

Bought the Ulanzi monitor stand which looks quite good but previously bought the laserbear 3d printed case and they both don't fit together. Not sure what my options are.

Maybe something like this? Though I do think something to tilt the 3d case would help too...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DDDMFTZ

stepea

Unread post by stepea »

cursedverses wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:16 pm

Maybe something like this? Though I do think something to tilt the 3d case would help too...

Thanks for the idea, but it's not the height that's a problem - it's the clamping spring that doesn't hold the 3d case. I think it's because the vesa mount at the back pushes the case away from the from the clamp. I would help if I could add a vesa mount instead of the clamping spring to this stand.

KnuckleheadFlow

Unread post by KnuckleheadFlow »

Any recommendations for shadow masks for this? So many options. I guess you’re supposed to match the red, green and blue order of your display’s sub pixels with the appropriate filter(RGB, GBR, BGR, etc)?

PistolsAtDawn

Unread post by PistolsAtDawn »

KnuckleheadFlow wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:52 pm

Any recommendations for shadow masks for this? So many options. I guess you’re supposed to match the red, green and blue order of your display’s sub pixels with the appropriate filter(RGB, GBR, BGR, etc)?

I've played with options pretty extensively on this screen, and at least a couple resemble CRTs that I actually used back when. Everyone is going to have their own tastes and opinions on what looks good. Personally I don't want to really see the shadow masks because they weren't that visible on the CRTs I used, and outside of high resolution LCD screens I feel like they're just too prominent.

I use the MG stripe most often with this screen. 1X makes it barely visible, which is my preference, but 2X looks pretty good too.

stepea

Unread post by stepea »

stepea wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:16 pm
cursedverses wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:16 pm

Thanks for the idea, but it's not the height that's a problem - it's the clamping spring that doesn't hold the 3d case. I think it's because the vesa mount at the back pushes the case away from the from the clamp. I would help if I could add a vesa mount instead of the clamping spring to this stand.

Just wondered if someone has the same setup, a few photos to illustrate the problem - need to either replace the clamp with a vesa mount so the screen fits or the laser bear 3d printed screen case with something else - anyone have any other ideas.

PXL_20230926_172531837.jpg
PXL_20230926_172531837.jpg (2.71 MiB) Viewed 82373 times
PXL_20230926_172734052.jpg
PXL_20230926_172734052.jpg (3.38 MiB) Viewed 82373 times
offset

Unread post by offset »

Got a Misterlaggy (viewtopic.php?t=7270), if anyone else has this, curious your test results:

Was able to test my ipad display running 2048x1536x60 and quite the discrepancy between the top, middle and bottom white bars on misterlaggy test (6ms, 13ms, and 20ms respectively). ipad displays must update differently than monitors (my alienware monitor was 16ms/17ms/18ms between top/middle/bottom white bars).