Getting the Zapper to work

Classic80sgmr

Getting the Zapper to work

Unread post by Classic80sgmr »

I recently purchased my De10 setup from Mister Addons

SNAC-V3 Serial Native Accessory Converter (SNAC)
IO-S-6.1 IO Standard with Heatsink and Fan
USB-2.1-SS-BRKT USB Hub with DC Splitter + Switch + USB Bracket
SDRAM-128 SDRAM
DE10-NANO Terasic DE10-Nano

I am connected to a 42’ LCD and a Samsung SyncMaster 753DF VGA Monitor.

So far I am loving the Mister

The only item I can’t get working is the Zapper.

Hardware: I have a right angle cable that goes into the accessory port. Then Misteraddons sent a long rectangular board with USB connections on both sides. and lastly there is a usb to nes connector. Do I need to use the long rectangular board? I can’t find any information on its purpose.

I have a usb NES style controller that I have configured and working properly.

When I connect the Zapper to the snac port and enable Snac as a serial input the usb controller stops working so I can’t choose super mario or duck hunt. I don’t know if the zapper mode should be joy 1,2 or mouse. None appear to work. The screen never flashes when I pull the trigger.

Is there any tutorial or documentation I am missing? Videos are typically showing it working but not the settings or the hardware.

Thanks for any help you a an provide.
MostroW

Re: Getting the Zapper to work

Unread post by MostroW »

as far as i am aware the zapper is only compatible with crt tv's because of the way the hit scan system worked?
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

I was able to get the NES zapper working on my VGA monitor with direct video and the line doubler option in the ini file. It didn't work with the Sega Phaser though. Make sure you are not using the scaler.

Also try Duck Hunt by itself not the one with Mario. It uses the first game port.
Classic80sgmr

Unread post by Classic80sgmr »

That makes sense, you need a VGA monitor that supports 15k (which mine does not). So I am thinking there is no way to get it to work at 31k. It is a bummer but at least now I understand why it does not work. Thanks for the assistance.
Brettster

Unread post by Brettster »

the Zapper does not work for me, but a 3rd party Tommo Zapper copy does work with my OLED tv, I used the patched NES roms that allow it to work on flat panel displays
works well
Arcade, Video Game and Tech Junkie