Nightly Public Builds for the PlayStation Core

xFlesk

Re: Nightly Public Builds for the PlayStation Core

Unread post by xFlesk »

good news ;) i formated my sd card and did fresh install and psx core works just fine ;) booting both bin/cue and chd files ;)
have no idea what was a problem but it is solved now ;)
tkanks everyone for help
TheCompany.pl - Amiga EXE Games
Pepeart

Unread post by Pepeart »

Im confused now, are chd files better than bin cue? better video and audio? Thank you
dmckean

Unread post by dmckean »

Pepeart wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:02 am Im confused now, are chd files better than bin cue? better video and audio? Thank you
It's a compression format. They take up less space. It's useful if you have large collections.
Pepeart

Unread post by Pepeart »

Got it. Thank you
hipsofjw

Unread post by hipsofjw »

Just to be clear, are .chd files now supported? Hard to keep up with the rapid developments on this core. .chd support was the one thing holding me back from getting in on the beta testing.

EDIT: Here's what I found from asking around in the discord:
- .chd files work with the latest unstable nightly PSX core
- MiSTer_unstable_20220220_150856 main binary or later is required
- Put each game in its own folder for proper memory card function
- Multi-disc games in single folder
toastboy

Unread post by toastboy »

Thanks @hipsofjw, you've saved people a lot of duplicated effort in finding out that info.
Especially the memory card location. I didn't know they'd moved to each game's folder, and wondered why I couldn't find any memcards anymore.
towd

Unread post by towd »

has anyone else tested the negcon support yet? i noticed it's now an option for controller type, but i'm still unable to map anything correctly (i'm guessing it's only just been implemented for testing, i'm just curious if anyone had had any luck).

-update-

got things working great!
Captain FPGA

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

So, I read most of this thread. Followed Akuma's post to a t.
Akuma wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:41 pm
xFlesk wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:17 pm
held wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:59 pm

Why do this manually? Go here and follow the steps, and execute step 4 regardless.
i used scripts to update to latest and it not works. i was thinking something went wrong, thats why i compared CRC with the one people post here and it matched, so i use latest and it still dont work

do i need second ram module ?
No, you do not need the second ram module, the scripts should do everything for you. Just run these:
1. update_all
2. unstable-update_psx-nightlies.sh
3. unstable-update_main-nightlies.sh
4. cold reboot
Unfortunately, all I get is a mostly blank screen I pictured with the words Playstation and Sony. What am I missing here? Also, according to Ru's Retro Gaming Source on Youtube as of a few hours ago. The Playstation Core has implemented CDDA redbook audio. I read in this thread there is a multi-track option? I couldn't find it in the settings. What's the solution here?
Attachments
PSX Blank Screen.jpg
PSX Blank Screen.jpg (31.74 KiB) Viewed 6472 times
Dreams don't die!
held

Unread post by held »

MiSTer version: MiSTer_unstable_20220221_170e7a
last version: Github says, last commit on Feb 21, 2022
core version: PSX_unstable_20220221_157452.rbf

What I experienced until now is hit and miss regarding red-book audio
These worked for me:
> Bust-A-Move-4
> Wipeout3
These did not
> Rollcage I
> Rollcage II

However when I load Rollcage II disc while in the Rollcage I music starts playing and vice versa :shock:

@Captain FPGA:
Try a few games, see what works
Also you could delete the latest core and run unstable-update_psx-nightlies.sh again

@FPGAzumSpass:
Not complaining, having a great time here :lol:
Hyper Space Squid

Unread post by Hyper Space Squid »

@Captain FPGA:

I think multitrack is turned on by default now but it is in the debug menu on the core.

For me a lot of games wouldn't work because i didn't run the update mister main unstable script, once i did that most games seem to be working with audio.

Playstation games bin+cue or chd go in the games folder in a folder called PSX.

Did you download the correct bios file and rename it to boot.rom? You place the bios in the PSX folder then add the games you want to play, i would suggest putting the game files in individual folders.

The core by default boots to the memory card & cd player screen, so if its doing that you should be good.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

held wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:10 pm MiSTer version: MiSTer_unstable_20220221_170e7a

These worked for me:
> Bust-A-Move-4
> Wipeout3
These did not
> Rollcage I
> Rollcage II

However when I load Rollcage II disc while in the Rollcage I music starts playing and vice versa :shock:

@Captain FPGA:
Also you could delete the latest core and run unstable-update_psx-nightlies.sh again

@FPGAzumSpass:
Which version of Rollcage I and II did you try? I just tested the NTSC version and the audio tracks played just fine.
held

Unread post by held »

Chris23235 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:57 pm Which version of Rollcage I and II did you try? I just tested the NTSC version and the audio tracks played just fine.
NTSC, they work for you, yay! Any settings I should know about? because they fail here :(
Do you have a cue with a "single .bin" or "multiple bin" files?
xFlesk

Unread post by xFlesk »

held wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:10 pm These did not
> Rollcage I
> Rollcage II
hmmm, weird. both of these games work fine with the latest build (PSX_unstable_20220221_157452.rbf). im using chd files and noticed no issues so far. games work good and all the sounds are present.

i had issues with the core also. i decided to wipe my sdcard and perform a fresh mister install. after that psx core seems to work very well.
TheCompany.pl - Amiga EXE Games
pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

do I have to add the memory card file that I downlaoded from here, empty.mcd in the PSX folder where are the games?
Sigismond0

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

pbsk8 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:07 pm do I have to add the memory card file that I downlaoded from here, empty.mcd in the PSX folder where are the games?
You don't have to do anything with memory cards by default. The core will automatically generate a new memory card for each game folder and load that memory card when you launch that game. You can still make your own MCD files and load them manually if you want, but that's really only useful if you're trying to duplicate saves or something.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

Sigismond0 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:12 pm You can still make your own MCD files and load them manually if you want, but that's really only useful if you're trying to duplicate saves or something.
Or when you plan to play Metal Gear Solid ;)
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

pbsk8 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:07 pm do I have to add the memory card file that I downlaoded from here, empty.mcd in the PSX folder where are the games?
Not any more. If you leave the 1st memory card slot blank The Core will autogenerate a .sav file (just a .mcd file with a different extension) with the name of the CD image file you boot. And once the .sav file is generated, it can autoload in.

Having a .mcd file or two is still worth while to have for save file management, save transfers, ect.
Games like Metal Gear or the Arc of the Lad series would still benefit form having those save file transfers.

Both the .sav files and your .mcd would be in root then /saves/PSX
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
Nfel

Unread post by Nfel »

Captain FPGA wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:25 pm Unfortunately, all I get is a mostly blank screen I pictured with the words Playstation and Sony. What am I missing here? Also, according to Ru's Retro Gaming Source on Youtube as of a few hours ago. The Playstation Core has implemented CDDA redbook audio. I read in this thread there is a multi-track option? I couldn't find it in the settings. What's the solution here?
I was seeing this exact same thing. At some point the unstable core updater script moved the unstable cores their own navigation folder, and not under consoles. I had been loading an old version of the PSX core (from the beginning of January) and it was giving me that exact screen.

Can you confirm that you're launching the cores from the unstable folder, and not from the console folder?
Captain FPGA

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

Hyper Space Squid wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:55 pm @Captain FPGA:

I think multitrack is turned on by default now but it is in the debug menu on the core.

For me a lot of games wouldn't work because i didn't run the update mister main unstable script, once i did that most games seem to be working with audio.

Playstation games bin+cue or chd go in the games folder in a folder called PSX.

Did you download the correct bios file and rename it to boot.rom? You place the bios in the PSX folder then add the games you want to play, i would suggest putting the game files in individual folders.

The core by default boots to the memory card & cd player screen, so if its doing that you should be good.
Hi,

Yes I did all that. The core was working fairly decent minus CDDA music and some crashes... until that was before I updated the last psx nightlies script and ran the unstable main. Now regardless of what game I run it's a dark screen. Yes the bios are in the PSX folder like it was before when everything worked.

I am using bin+cue files.
held wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:10 pm MiSTer version: MiSTer_unstable_20220221_170e7a

These worked for me:
> Bust-A-Move-4
> Wipeout3
These did not
> Rollcage I
> Rollcage II

@Captain FPGA:

@FPGAzumSpass:
I tried multiple games already. I haven't tried to delete the rbf file and rerun psx nightlies updater. I'll try that and get back to you.

EDIT & UPDATE: So apparently I've been accessing it the wrong way. I placed the core in the console folder and for a while that was working. All up until the last three updates ago. Now if I want to access the core I can still boot from Console folder but that will give me the black screen of death.

However if I access UNSTABLE at the root of my SD directory I discover several different nightly cores. I did not know this was there. Apparently the latest is at the bottom. Tried the ones at the top, at least 3 were giving me the grim screen of doom.

Once I tried the bottom one everything worked and all is 👍

Finally! Twisted Metal 2 with music!!!!! I dunno why this is making me so excited considering I can already play it on the Playstation PSIO. Perhaps it's knowing I now have two places that will run the game at 100% and if the Mister can't yet, at the rate these devs are going it will.
Dreams don't die!
held

Unread post by held »

Captain FPGA wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:56 pm EDIT & UPDATE: So apparently I've been accessing it the wrong way...

However if I access UNSTABLE at the root of my SD directory I discover several different nightly cores. I did not know this was there. Apparently the latest is at the bottom. Tried the ones at the top, at least 3 were giving me the grim screen of doom.

Once I tried the bottom one everything worked and all is 👍
Good times :D

Btw if you want to clean up old cores you can create the unstable-update_psx-nightlies.ini with the maxkeep option. Where 10 is the maximum number of unstable PSX cores to keep by deleting the older ones.

Code: Select all

maxkeep=10
xFlesk wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:34 pm hmmm, weird. both of these games work fine with the latest build (PSX_unstable_20220221_157452.rbf). im using chd files and noticed no issues so far. games work good and all the sounds are present.

i had issues with the core also. i decided to wipe my sdcard and perform a fresh mister install. after that psx core seems to work very well.
Thanks, CHD's are working fine, BIN/CUE (single BIN) give me issues 50% of the time.
vanfanel

Unread post by vanfanel »

@held

Thanks a REAL lot for the tip on maxkeep! Very, very useful for me!
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

Either i'm doing something wrong or i'm doing something wrong?

Downloaded the latest nightly build to check the CHD loading but it flat out doesn't work, it boots to the bios and that's about it.
The game works as a CUE/BIN but the converted CHD made with chdman from the latest mame build just won't work for me.

Converted the image using this: chdman createcd -i "Castlevania Chronicles (USA).cue" -o "Castlevania Chronicles (USA).chd"

The program runs and the conversion seems to run just fine and no errors were thrown, does the psx core maybe require any additional switch(es) to produce a correct image?
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Are you using the latest MISTer_Unstable?
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

I've updated last week and as far as i'm aware i'm not running an unstable build
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

You have to use one for chd. I am using MiSTer_unstable_20220221_078648.
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

Ah ok thank you for mentioning that, seems the psx page itself didn't mention that.
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

towd wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:59 pm has anyone else tested the negcon support yet?

-update-

How did you configure the MiSTer and the PSX Core for the NegCon?
I have a NegCon and a PS2 to USB Adapter from Speedlink (SL6502) but no luck using it.

My MiSTer Add-On-Projects tty2oled, i2c2oled, SNAC2IEC
You can donate by sending a Postcard to me.

cursedverses

Unread post by cursedverses »

Do I read right that stable MiSTer has the PSX functionality of unstable now?? (sorlegig's update thread)
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

i've updated today and main and the two test chd's i made were working now
towd

Unread post by towd »

venice wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:37 pm
towd wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:59 pm has anyone else tested the negcon support yet?

-update-

How did you configure the MiSTer and the PSX Core for the NegCon?
I have a NegCon and a PS2 to USB Adapter from Speedlink (SL6502) but no luck using it.
for ridge racer 4, i navigated to the game's controller section and then set the controller type to negcon in the mister menu,and the game detected the pad successfully. for wipeout 2097/xl, on the main options screen, i brought up the mister menu, enabled negcon and boom - everything worked.

i haven't had any success getting the pad working in ridge racer revolution or rage racer (the axis mapping seemed screwed up), but i haven't tried the latest build...

i'm using a really cheap playstation > usb adapter btw:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FBM3JEG/