Ridge Racer - Slowdown

DavesGameRoom

Ridge Racer - Slowdown

Unread post by DavesGameRoom »

I appreciate the extremely early nature of this core's development so please don't take this as a moan :)

My early experience with the PSX Core has been very positive minus any sound of course.

Ridge Racer is a favourite of mine to test as its a relatively straight forward game and a Launch Title for the PSX. When testing Ridge Racer on the PSX Core, I notice slowdown in places that the game doesn't slow down on Real hardware. These slowdowns are remarkably similar to how the game behaves on PCSX-Rearmed without any CPU Overclocking within the core applied.
toastboy

Re: Ridge Racer - Slowdown

Unread post by toastboy »

The developer - Robert Piep - has mentioned before that the timings are not yet all correct, so I wouldn't be surprised by some performance differences between the current core and a real PSX. It may be CPU-related, memory timing or any number of other factors.
At the moment, I like you am just overjoyed that a PSX core is progressing so quickly.
DiamondDave

Unread post by DiamondDave »

That's interesting that an early beta release isn't functioning at 100% yet. Maybe it's just me, but I also noticed that there is no sound. When I play on original hardware there is sound, so hopefully this can be rectified as well.
Stupid Dufus

Unread post by Stupid Dufus »

Sound hasn't been implemented in the core yet.
gibs

Unread post by gibs »

DiamondDave wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:43 pm When I play on original hardware there is sound
Seriously ? :P
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

gibs wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:15 am
DiamondDave wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:43 pm When I play on original hardware there is sound
Seriously ? :P
Yep, The dev is more focus on fixing the various CPU instructions and calls first. Making all those data lines line up with the right chips internally.
The Core isn't even running at full speed yet. Once the CPU calls and instructions are fixed and the system running at the correct speed, only then will Audio comes into play.

Right now if you get audio working, it be too slow, distorted, and clipping, if working at all.
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
rafael

Unread post by rafael »

DiamondDave wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:43 pm That's interesting that an early beta release isn't functioning at 100% yet. Maybe it's just me, but I also noticed that there is no sound. When I play on original hardware there is sound, so hopefully this can be rectified as well.
For those that did not get it, which seems to be every reply above, this is called sarcasm.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

rafael wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:05 pm For those that did not get it, which seems to be every reply above, this is called sarcasm.
Probably uncalled for, since it could be well applied to OP's original query. Honestly, this whole thread is rather pointless and should've ended with "extremely early nature of this core's development".
DavesGameRoom

akeley wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:17 pm
rafael wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:05 pm For those that did not get it, which seems to be every reply above, this is called sarcasm.
Probably uncalled for, since it could be well applied to OP's original query. Honestly, this whole thread is rather pointless and should've ended with "extremely early nature of this core's development".
Oh wow I didn't expect such negativity to an honest post. Apologies for posting this.

In all fairness I did say I wasn't meaning this to be a moaning post and that I appreciate the extremely early nature of this core's development but didn't expect such responses.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

It's really more "common sense" than "negativity". Look at the Compatibility List thread, there are heaps of games with issues, which is obviously to be expected at this stage. Of course, @FPGAzumSpass can pop in here and explain your particular case in detail if he feels like it, but am not sure why would you expect normal users to say anything else.
softtest9

Unread post by softtest9 »

From the readme at https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/PSX_MiSTer

"Work in progress, don't report any bugs!"

It can't really get any more clear than that. Please give the developer time to make a proper release. Even I am getting annoyed at some users' impatience and I made this account specifically to report issues.
FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Unread post by FPGAzumSpass »

The performance of the PSX is hard to measure exactly so it's a lot of gut feeling.
I fixed some obvious performance problems, e.g. in Tekken 2 or Colin Racing 2.0, where slow speed leads to graphic bugs or framerate is halved.
For games that have slowdowns every now and then on a real system, it's much harder.

If there is a situation that has no slowdown on a real PSX but on the core, i can look at it and see why.

But that has to wait until sound is fully implemented, so it will take a while.
Jellybelly

Unread post by Jellybelly »

I just bow down to the awesomeness of bring this to the Mister, was just a pipe dream a while back, and the "early" fruits we see are tremendous, you take all the time you need 👍👍
DavesGameRoom

FPGAzumSpass wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:12 pm The performance of the PSX is hard to measure exactly so it's a lot of gut feeling.
I fixed some obvious performance problems, e.g. in Tekken 2 or Colin Racing 2.0, where slow speed leads to graphic bugs or framerate is halved.
For games that have slowdowns every now and then on a real system, it's much harder.

If there is a situation that has no slowdown on a real PSX but on the core, i can look at it and see why.

But that has to wait until sound is fully implemented, so it will take a while.
I completely understand and am really looking forward to seeing how this core develops :)