Run two instances of Minimig

AmintaMister

Run two instances of Minimig

Unread post by AmintaMister »

Hi!

I would like to run two instance of Minimig on my MISTer, one for Amiga with MegaAGS (I already have it) and one with the Shapeshifter configuration (I already have this config too, Shapeshifter auto run emulating a Macintosh Classic).

Now I have copied Minimig_20220108.rbf to MacClassic_20220108.rbf and changed accordingly the names in names.txt.

So far so good.

Now, what I would like to achieve is that Minimig_20220108.rbf can load at startup the MegaAGS.cfg and MacClassic_20220108.rbf the Shapeshifter.cfg.

Is it possible?
darksakul

Re: Run two instances of Minimig

Unread post by darksakul »

You want to run both cores simultaneously?
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
Flandango
Core Developer

Unread post by Flandango »

AmintaMister, unfortunately it's not possible.
Each core has a hard coded "Core" name so you can call the Minimig.rbf file anything you want but it will still load the Minimig configuration.
AmintaMister

Flandango wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:25 pm AmintaMister, unfortunately it's not possible.
Each core has a hard coded "Core" name so you can call the Minimig.rbf file anything you want but it will still load the Minimig configuration.
Ok, thanks!
AmintaMister

darksakul wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:14 pm You want to run both cores simultaneously?
Not, only launch each of them with a different configuration.
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

Yeah, you can’t just rename the core, unfortunately.

The workaround I have used is to duplicate and rename the kickstart.rom file to something descriptive, since that becomes a “poor man’s” label in the Load Configuration part of the Minimig core.

E.g. in my setup, I have MegaAGS.rom, Amiga4000.rom and Shapeshifter.rom, and I have set them up with their respective configuration entries, so that it’s easy to see which one I select. Would of course be great it the core added support for labels on these configurations, but that’s what I’ve done for now.
dec_alpha

Unread post by dec_alpha »

limi wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:36 pm Yeah, you can’t just rename the core, unfortunately.

The workaround I have used is to duplicate and rename the kickstart.rom file to something descriptive, since that becomes a “poor man’s” label in the Load Configuration part of the Minimig core.

E.g. in my setup, I have MegaAGS.rom, Amiga4000.rom and Shapeshifter.rom, and I have set them up with their respective configuration entries, so that it’s easy to see which one I select. Would of course be great it the core added support for labels on these configurations, but that’s what I’ve done for now.
Thanks for this idea, will definitely help me to keep track of which config does what :)