Power USB Hub v2.1 Direct From DE10 Nano?

CartoonDonkey

Power USB Hub v2.1 Direct From DE10 Nano?

Unread post by CartoonDonkey »

(I've asked this question to Lee Smith directly, but thought I'd post here as well.)

I've 3d printed Lee Smith's wedge case for the Mister, and need a bit of help:

How can I wire power from the De-10 nano to the USB hub directly?

I think I can run a micro usb to micro usb - (male to male) cable to connect the de10 nano and the hub... (keeping the micro usb ports facing each other in the case) But this leaves the power ports facing outward & away from each other. (At least on the USB v2.1 board)

I'd like to wire power directly from the de-10 nano to the USB hub, without releasing magic smoke, essentially.

Thanks for any help!
edr

Re: Power USB Hub v2.1 Direct From DE10 Nano?

Unread post by edr »

Pretty sure it's a bad idea. The MisterAddons systems for ex. have 2 DC input jacks, 1 going to the USB hub.

https://resources.pcb.cadence.com/blog/ ... -standards
"In general, the specifications for a USB 1.0 and 2.0 standard downstream port, delivers up to 500 mA or 0.5A. Also, with a USB 3.0, it can provide up to 900mA or 0.9A, which translates into 4.5 watts. These power output specifications are a rating based on the 5 volts from each standard output. However, the USB 3.0 dedicated charging and charging downstream ports provide up to 1,500 mA or 1.5A, which translates into 7.5 watts."

https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electr ... lator.html

If you pull the max USB spec 500 mA at 5V (2.5 watts) from the MiSTer, that would power some stuff, but not sure how much power the MiSTer can put out over its USB port, and be stable doing it. Also no idea if the USB hub is designed to pull power though the micro USB, as opposed to the DC in jack.

I don't think you'd let out magic smoke from the MiSTer, maybe it would just crash or not be stable. Not sure about the USB hub. One way to find out, no guarantees no representations made :). There are experts who would have a much better idea.
Milspex

Unread post by Milspex »

I got an external otg usb hub , without powering it I can connect one controller and it will work but the ssd won't work.

When I power the hub (externally), both work. I'm pretty sure you can't get enough juice from the de10nano either way.
C-R-T

Unread post by C-R-T »

I can use a Bluetooth dongle, Wi-Fi dongle, keyboard and usb controller, all from a single unpowered otg usb hub.
8bitAndy

Unread post by 8bitAndy »

I use a USB hub with charging connectors to power the DE10, a portable monitor and act as the DE10's powered USB hub.
It requires a USB to barrel connector for power and mini-usb to USB A for the Mister. I use the second charging port on the hub to power a portable monitor.
I can give the part list if anyone is interested.
CartoonDonkey

Unread post by CartoonDonkey »

Yeah! Can you post the parts list?
8bitAndy

Unread post by 8bitAndy »

I missed that this thread was about the official Power USB Hub addon, in any case this is what I use:

24W USB Hub with a 12v power adapter, four data ports and two USB charging ports
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BMQ6RM1

USB to Mister power cable:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UVH9I5A

Micro USB to USB cable. I think I used one of these, although I see other posts saying you need an OTG cable:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011KMSNXM

12v power goes to the hub. USB to Mister power cable goes from hub charging port to Mister power jack. Micro USB to USB connects Mister's micro USB to the host port on the end of the hub.

One thing that is very important to keep in mind - the hub's 12v power cable looks just like the DE10's 5v power cable. Plugging it into the Mister accidently will probably cook the Mister. I have red tape and a label wrapped around the end of mine so I know it only is for the hub.

The four data ports on the hub can host Mister peripherals and should have plenty of power. The second charging port can be used to power something else like a portable monitor.
Sigismond0

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

CartoonDonkey wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:34 am How can I wire power from the De-10 nano to the USB hub directly?
You should be able to solder to the thru-hole solder pins below the power jack, and pass that through to the USB hub. You're effectively tapping directly into the DC adapter just like you would with a Y-adapter. There's a USB hub out on the market that does that--the USB hub has prongs that touch the bottom of the DE-10 to pull power when stacked.

Or if you're using a digital IO board, you can already send power directly from the DC jack on the nano into the DC jack on the USB hub.

It's unclear, but is there a reason you can't just use a Y-cable?

Edit: See this thread for discussion on a USB hub that draws power directly from the underside of the DE-10 Nano. viewtopic.php?t=840