Error on using downloader script

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
RxMxG

Error on using downloader script

Unread post by RxMxG »

Hi all, I just got my MiSTer FPGA today and when I use the downloader script, I got error messages: "*An unknown exception occurred during logging: [Errno 28] No space left on device". This is occured on checking hash step, if I'm not mistaken.

What's weird is when I turn off the MiSTer and put the sdcard to my laptop, my 16GB sdcard still have a lot of space. Is it something wrong with my sdcard or is this a normal occurrence?

Thank you in advance.

(sorry for my terrible English)
edr

Re: Error on using downloader script

Unread post by edr »

I've never seen the error but some ideas - maybe you filled up the small " / " storage space.

SSH to your MiSTer or use a keyboard to access the terminal. Then check free space:

# df
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/loop8 348M 289M 33M 90% /
/dev/root 367G 151G 217G 41% /media/fat
devtmpfs 246M 0 246M 0% /dev
tmpfs 247M 0 247M 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 247M 64K 247M 1% /tmp
tmpfs 247M 204K 247M 1% /run
tmpfs 247M 0 247M 0% /var/lib/samba
/dev/loop0 987K 66K 779K 8% /var/lib/bluetooth

Look at /dev/loop8 (mounted on / ). Make sure it is not full. If it's full, you'll need to figure out what to clean out. Your own SD card is /dev/root mounted on /media/fat - I'm guessing that one is fine since you say you checked free space on it.

You can also use this tool to check for what is using up space:
https://dev.yorhel.nl/download/ncdu-2.1 ... arm.tar.gz
(the ARM binary build of the ncdu tool https://dev.yorhel.nl/ncdu)
Bunker

Unread post by Bunker »

Sounds like a bad card, some fakes will display a larger free space on them but end up writing over the same 2gb that the card really is. I doubt they would use 16gb cards for this but you never know.
edr

Unread post by edr »

Bunker wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:14 pm ...some fakes will display a larger free space on them...
Great point, quite possible. Suggest to avoid buying SD cards from ANY 3rd party vendors on J. Bezos (buy only Sold by Amazon). Fakes even get mixed up with Amazon's own supply sometimes - for even better outcomes, consider buying media from B&H, Adorama, or Provantage (or other trusted sources, if there even are any others).
RxMxG

Unread post by RxMxG »

edr wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:25 pm I've never seen the error but some ideas - maybe you filled up the small " / " storage space.

SSH to your MiSTer or use a keyboard to access the terminal. Then check free space:

# df
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/loop8 348M 289M 33M 90% /
/dev/root 367G 151G 217G 41% /media/fat
devtmpfs 246M 0 246M 0% /dev
tmpfs 247M 0 247M 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 247M 64K 247M 1% /tmp
tmpfs 247M 204K 247M 1% /run
tmpfs 247M 0 247M 0% /var/lib/samba
/dev/loop0 987K 66K 779K 8% /var/lib/bluetooth

Look at /dev/loop8 (mounted on / ). Make sure it is not full. If it's full, you'll need to figure out what to clean out. Your own SD card is /dev/root mounted on /media/fat - I'm guessing that one is fine since you say you checked free space on it.

You can also use this tool to check for what is using up space:
https://dev.yorhel.nl/download/ncdu-2.1 ... arm.tar.gz
(the ARM binary build of the ncdu tool https://dev.yorhel.nl/ncdu)
My `/dev/loop8` size and usage is very similar to you, I will learn more about this partition.
And when I used `update_all` script, it doesn't show any error, oh well.
Thank you for the information.
Bunker wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:14 pm Sounds like a bad card, some fakes will display a larger free space on them but end up writing over the same 2gb that the card really is. I doubt they would use 16gb cards for this but you never know.
edr wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:41 pm
Bunker wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:14 pm ...some fakes will display a larger free space on them...
Great point, quite possible. Suggest to avoid buying SD cards from ANY 3rd party vendors on J. Bezos (buy only Sold by Amazon). Fakes even get mixed up with Amazon's own supply sometimes - for even better outcomes, consider buying media from B&H, Adorama, or Provantage (or other trusted sources, if there even are any others).
I live in SEA and bought my SanDisk sdcard from official store, hopefully it's not fake 🤞(I have way to many broken SanDisk sdcard)