can I save CRT format games?

Texemosis

can I save CRT format games?

Unread post by Texemosis »

Hello, i've been having a massive struggle getting Legacy of the Ancients to work on d64. It keeps crashing at the EA logo. I found a CRT of the game and that one boots but it crashes when I try to save. I'm not sure if that's from a conflict with MiSTer or if the CRT game is bugged. Is there a setting i'm supposed to mess around with?
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Re: can I save CRT format games?

Unread post by FPGA64 »

A Crt file represnts a Cartridge. These were mostly read only devices and so you cant save to them.

I am guessing you are using the Easy flash version from 2014. As far as I know Easy Flash is not supported. So you wont be able to save
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Try loading your disks after choosing "Standard C64" as System ROM in OSD>>Hardware tab. I'm using the one-disk, UCF cracked version, and it has loaded okay up to choosing New Game, and then it asks me for Character Disk. Don't have time atm to see if it saves okay, but I suppose it should be fine.
Texemosis

hmm, I don't know what easy flash is but the cart does say the game saves to flash. Maybe that's the thing you're talking about. The UFC cracked version on Standard C64? I can try that. It's a funny story, I got Legacy of the Ancients booting on disk a long time ago on MiSTer, but now i've been having a struggle. I don't know what changed but I know it's possible.
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Easy flash is a modern cart for the C64 with flash memory. You can save to it, but its not currently supported on the Mister to my Knowledge.
Texemosis

arg, still a no go. Trying all sorts of different variants of the game and it just continues freezing at the EA logo.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Works fine for me, I've just tried the 2 disk version. Make sure you're fully updated (including MiSTer main), that you didn't accidentally trip something in the OSD, and that you're using Standard C64 system ROM (make sure these boot roms are updated as well).
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

I also tried the UCF version and came to the game start screen. I even loaded it from Dolphon DOS.
Texemosis

I always use the update-all script. Does that get you update boot roms?
Chris23235
Top Contributor

I am not sure what standard C64 ROMS the update all script installs as the Github currently only has the Speed-DOS and the JiffyDOS ROMS in the release folder. Do you use any of these ROMS?
What do you mean exactly by "freezing" at the EA logo? The UCF versions should show you the EA logo in different colours and then the screen should turn blue while loading for an extended time. What happens exactly when you try the UCF version?
Texemosis

the EA logo appears and nothing moves. the entire core even hardlocks sometimes. I tried Speedy-DOS before. JiffyDOS, I don't find it on GitHub, just DolphinDOS. It looks like JiffyDOS is something you buy for twenty dollars
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

You don't really need any of the speed roms for this. Out of several tries I've done it only worked once for me using Dolphin DOS. Using Standard C64 it works every time. I don't think it's a separate rom anymore, so if your core and main are updated it should be ok.

We are using the same hardware and OS, so it really has to be something simple you're missing, unless it's something really bizarre like maybe your SDRAM affecting this (which is something I've never heard about outside arcade cores). If you're really desperate and have a spare SD card, make a fresh install/update and try it then. If it still doesn't work after this then I give up :)
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Sorry, DolphinDOS, you are right. I agree with akeley, it is either something you do different or something with your setup. My guess is it is something with your disk images.