MegaAGS 2022.03.03

limi
Top Contributor

Re: MegaAGS 2022.03.03

Unread post by limi »

SegaSnatcher wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:36 pm
akeley wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:10 am Such issues are most likely due to problems with WHDLoad or the Minimig core itself. WHDL is wonderful in general, but a lot of slaves have bugs, and the core isn't 1:1 either. It's best to check the Mantis bugtracker if there's a report already. Aside from the AGS git, you can always post in the Minimig subforum too. Amiga is my priority core, and I will always try to these issues myself and possibly file a report on Minimig's github.

In this case, I checked an independent WHDLoad install on my own hdf (in PAL mode) vs WinUAE A500 floppy version, and tbh it seems fine to me - but I don't have the best ear for music/sound. The MegaAGS version (I'm using one before the most recent) is set to NTSC, which produces one tiny gfx glitch in the intro and music is slightly faster - perhaps that might make it sound like there's a problem?
Its just that not all the keypad sounds can be heard. Some are missed on MegaAGS, but not when I just setup Minimig to a normal a500 setup and loading the Floppy image.
Can confirm that I’m seeing the same behavior on the WHDLoad version. Some keypress sounds go missing, but not consistently, sometimes they work perfectly. The same happens when loading the game from floppy on the “standard” MiSTer 020/AGA/3.1 Amiga setup, so I’m guessing it has something to do with the 68000 being close to cycle accurate, and this game pushing the hardware in that area.

Would be interesting to try this: a) via floppy on a real A1200, b) via WHDLoad on a real A500 (if that’s even possible), and/or c) an A500-like config on MiSTer using WHDLoad to narrow it down further.
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

mahen wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:37 am Did any of you notice that using the vadjust file (provided / generated by MegaAGS for 4x scaling) did trigger some bugs in the Minimig core ? (especially in combination with RTG). I get some random grey screen after modes switching requiring *cold reset of the MiSTer*. I removed this file a few weeks back and haven't been able to reproduce the issue since then while it used to occur every day !
I am not seeing this, but we are definitely pushing the scaler in ways it wasn’t intended to be used originally, with all the PAL/NTSC/RTG and 5×/6× switching. Generally it seems to be OK when you reload the core. The few times I have seen scaler issues, I haven’t seen what you are describing, and I haven’t needed cold reboots.

Would be interesting to see if you can consistently reproduce it if you put back a fresh version of that file, ruling out any corruption to the file itself.
mrchrister

Unread post by mrchrister »

MiSTer SAM does now support MegaAGS by using the "I'm feeling lucky" mode.
https://github.com/mrchrisster/MiSTer_SAM

Would somebody care to try?
Is there a way to know which game is playing from command line?
Optiroc

Unread post by Optiroc »

mrchrister wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:37 am MiSTer SAM does now support MegaAGS by using the "I'm feeling lucky" mode.
https://github.com/mrchrisster/MiSTer_SAM

Would somebody care to try?
Is there a way to know which game is playing from command line?
Cool!

We could have the launcher write info about the currently playing title to the shared folder.

Also, curious to know how you force the launcher to run the “feeling lucky” randomizer! We could add better support for launching stuff from linux via the shared folder, too…
mrchrister

Unread post by mrchrister »

That would be great!
Right now I'm running pocomane's MBC which let's you send button pushes to the Mister. It presses the down key for 2s and then pushes enter.
I'd very much appreciate to have more control of MegaAGS through Linux. Amiga has such an extensive library that I'd love to put on display!
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

Yeah, we’ve been idly speculating about how we’d support something like Neil of RMC’s bar code scanner, and this would be a related kind of thing — let MegaAGS read a file in the Shared folder, if it has a game reference, automatically start that game when MegaAGS boots.

I filed an issue, so it stays on our radar:
https://github.com/Optiroc/AGSImager/issues/60
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

re: Amiga support in SAM - no chance that suddenly slamming things down and force-killing the emulator is going to corrupt the Amiga filesystem, is it? ;)