MAME folder

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
kwodkore

MAME folder

Unread post by kwodkore »

Hi all, so as far as I'm aware when trying to use my own mame collection I need to install my zip ROMs into media/fat/Arcade/mame folder then run update.sh for them to be converted to mra files? didn't seem to work, it grabbed the initial mame getter collection but none of my own, confused...please help
neogeo81

Re: MAME folder

Unread post by neogeo81 »

You seem to be very confused.

The MRA files are downloaded automaticaly by the update_all script, no conversion there.

The rom files are in the folder games/mame. You can either put them in ther yourself (mame .241 is the actual set) or just let the update_all load the roms also.
RascalUK

Unread post by RascalUK »

Also worth pointing out, in case you haven't realised, Mister only runs relatively few arcade cores - 'Mame' is probably a bit confusing in that respect - Mister does not run the mame collection, if that makes sense? I'm not sure it does, just woken up!
neogeo81

RascalUK wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:54 pm Also worth pointing out, in case you haven't realised, Mister only runs relatively few arcade cores - 'Mame' is probably a bit confusing in that respect - Mister does not run the mame collection, if that makes sense? I'm not sure it does, just woken up!
Yes, that's why it is better to let the update_all script do the job and download the roms from the MRA files it downloaded before.
Duffygag

Unread post by Duffygag »

Use the updateall script
kwodkore

Unread post by kwodkore »

Ok thanks all, kinda clears that up, when I first set-up I did all the usual and ran update_all script and saw the general list of mame grabbed titles there, I was just hoping as it's a little slim I could drop my own library in there with it, guess it's not really set that way...
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

This is the list of arcade cores available on MiSTer: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... Cores-List
neogeo81

kwodkore wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:06 pm Ok thanks all, kinda clears that up, when I first set-up I did all the usual and ran update_all script and saw the general list of mame grabbed titles there, I was just hoping as it's a little slim I could drop my own library in there with it, guess it's not really set that way...
No because on mister you need a core (RBF file) which sets the FPGA to work like the main components of the arcade PCB, a MRA file which combines and communicates between the ROM and the RBF file and then the ROM itself. Every single type of PCB ever needs to be writen in Mister languages so it can be used.