Racing Wheel Controllers?

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
seastalker

Racing Wheel Controllers?

Unread post by seastalker »

With the early WIP support for Guncon controllers, it got me thinking about racing wheels. I don't have the space for tons of LARGE controllers like arcade sticks, light guns, and of course racing wheels.

I have a Logiteck 'Driving Force' blue racing wheel for PS2 (missing the pedals though). Via USB, all buttons and functions work on a Windows PC's game contrioller test, yet nothing is working with it at all in MiSTer. I can't say for sure it's a driver issue (no pun intended) becaus it should show up as a USB HID device, no? To be fair, I had high hopes it might work with my Brooks Wingman SD adapter for Saturn and Dreamcast. Haven't tried Dreamcast but no go yet on Saturn with Daytona USA. Maybe in either case it needs to pedals to function?

Regardless of a driver issue or not, I never had racing wheel controllers EVER except this recent pickup. I see the allure of Guncons to be the universal light gun for all cores with it's USB (and maybe PS1 Guncons with SNAC just on the PS1 core). For those experienced with various console racing wheels, what might be deemed the ultimate one to eventually (if not now) work with MiSTer for RETRO driving games? It need not cost a mortgage or have Ferrari's brand endorsements since it's not for modern racing sims.

I think something compatible for Saturn and PS1 cores' racing libraries would be great, especially if they'd also work for older games (hypothetical list only- some consoles may not be able to... I know) like Outrun, Super Mario Kart, Arcade cores, or imagine even replacing Atari 2600 paddles/driver controllers with a real controll wheel?!
thorr
Top Contributor

Re: Racing Wheel Controllers?

Unread post by thorr »

I think the wheel you have would be fine if and when work is done to support it. There is already a thread on this, and I opened a github issue for it. I really hope this gets fixed because it shouldn't take long to fix and would benefit a lot of people.
viewtopic.php?t=4127
Coolbho3k

Unread post by Coolbho3k »

I'd like to see my Fanatec DD1 working on it.
seastalker

Wow- I looked up what a Fanatec DD1 is... if it is ever supported, PLEASE make a funny video using it to play Night Driver on the A2600. :)

thank you thorr to the other link! I suppose I'll keep my wheel then- it may not need the pedals then.
Coolbho3k

So I compiled the hid-fanatecff driver into the MiSTer kernel https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Linux-K ... er/pull/24 and it works well in theory. All the axes are recognized and the buttons are working but it the analog axes do not quite map very well in the MiSTer UI yet. So I'm planning on making some contributions to the main MiSTer to map steering wheel controllers better.

I don't have a Logitech wheel, but I think ought to be at least recognizing the buttons. Maybe we need `CONFIG_LOGIWHEELS_FF ` in the kernel to be on. Hopefully if I can make the contributions we can work on getting everything to work, I'd love to get Logitech, Thrustmaster and Fanatec wheels working, and also more budget non-FF wheels like the Hori ones.
seastalker

This is fantastic news! THANK YOU!!
Coolbho3k

So, I got my wheel working as a proof of concept in the PSX core: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTh8pJ7a_Vk

It required some changes to the Main MiSTer input code but fundamentally this isn't a hard problem. My proof of concept would not work with anything except Fanatec wheels though but it would not be hard to add support for others.

We are currently discussing with Sorg on the Github issue how to best implement this.
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

That's a very cool setup! I have a dedicated driving chair and I have a Buttkicker hooked up to it so you can quasi-feel the road from the subwoofer sounds. It works better than one would expect! It also gives you a sense of force feedback from any game, just not from the wheel.
Coolbho3k

thorr wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:31 pm That's a very cool setup! I have a dedicated driving chair and I have a Buttkicker hooked up to it so you can quasi-feel the road from the subwoofer sounds. It works better than one would expect! It also gives you a sense of force feedback from any game, just not from the wheel.
I wish I had more room for a dedicated rig - unfortunately I have to share this desk and monitor with my workstation/gaming setup so that would be very difficult. But it works well enough.
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

Coolbho3k wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:27 pm I wish I had more room for a dedicated rig - unfortunately I have to share this desk and monitor with my workstation/gaming setup so that would be very difficult. But it works well enough.
I totally understand. I don't have the room either, so I just deal with it and lean the whole thing backwards and stand it upwards off the back of the chair so it takes up a lot less floor space when storing it. Our guest bedroom is full of all my gaming stuff and our guests can just navigate through the debris field and hop up onto the bed. We have someone stay there like once every other year so the rest of the time it is no problem, and my wife is thankfully very tolerant. :-)
AntialiasedPixel

Unread post by AntialiasedPixel »

Any chance support for the xbox 360 wheel will be added to this feature? I would never usually spend money on a wheel, but found the 360 one at a goodwill for like $10 years ago. Works great on the 360/PC, would be awesome if it worked with the PSX core on Mister!
Coolbho3k

AntialiasedPixel wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:59 pm Any chance support for the xbox 360 wheel will be added to this feature? I would never usually spend money on a wheel, but found the 360 one at a goodwill for like $10 years ago. Works great on the 360/PC, would be awesome if it worked with the PSX core on Mister!
Yeah I think it's pretty much possible. Do you know if the wheel centers itself by default just plugged in with no force feedback signal? As far as I know, the Linux xinput driver doesn't support any force feedback signals except rumble, so we couldn't get the wheel to self-center if it doesn't do so by itself. If the wheel doesn't self center, it's a really bad experience.
sonik

Unread post by sonik »

From what I remember it does center by default when no FFB is active.
Also there's n FFB driver for it. FFB only possible when connected to the xbox360 console.
Coolbho3k

sonik wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:41 pm From what I remember it does center by default when no FFB is active.
Also there's n FFB driver for it. FFB only possible when connected to the xbox360 console.
Should be possible then.

Does anyone with this wheel want to try to pull debug info from Main MiSTer binary over UART and tell us what each of the axes and ranges are? In the main menu, MiSTer will log when you make inputs.

Code: Select all

For wheel
Axis:
Range:
Center offset:
Full left offset:
Full right offset:

For each of throttle/brake
Axis:
Range:
Default offset:
Fully pressed offset:
Maybe if it behaves like a regular Xinput controller by default then we should be able to develop it with a normal Xbox controller? Ie. if steering is left stick left/right, throttle is RT, brake is LT I should be able to add support without the wheel and just test with my Xbox controller
AntialiasedPixel

Unread post by AntialiasedPixel »

Coolbho3k wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:49 pm Does anyone with this wheel want to try to pull debug info from Main MiSTer binary over UART and tell us what each of the axes and ranges are? In the main menu, MiSTer will log when you make inputs.
Any details on how to pull the debug info? I can probably give it a go this weekend.

From a quick google, looks like I can just hook up a usb mini to a pc with serial monitor similar to arduino?
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

AntialiasedPixel wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:29 pm Any details on how to pull the debug info? I can probably give it a go this weekend.

From a quick google, looks like I can just hook up a usb mini to a pc with serial monitor similar to arduino?
See: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/issues/575

Much progress has been made to this. I have been greatly enjoying playing some PSX driving games with my Logitech wheel! It hasn't been released yet, but if you want to give it a go, all the details are in the posts of the github issue I linked above. Also, I don't know what wheel you have and if it is not yet supported, there are some details about doing the debug info in the github posts as well.
hyp36rmax

Unread post by hyp36rmax »

Someone say Fanatec Setup? I’m ready!

D1PHUDr.jpeg
D1PHUDr.jpeg (339.44 KiB) Viewed 3805 times
ckIyeIA.png
ckIyeIA.png (2.89 MiB) Viewed 3805 times
hyp36rmax

Unread post by hyp36rmax »

Coolbho3k wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:46 am So, I got my wheel working as a proof of concept in the PSX core: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTh8pJ7a_Vk

It required some changes to the Main MiSTer input code but fundamentally this isn't a hard problem. My proof of concept would not work with anything except Fanatec wheels though but it would not be hard to add support for others.

We are currently discussing with Sorg on the Github issue how to best implement this.
Time to try this
Coolbho3k

hyp36rmax wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:38 pm Someone say Fanatec Setup? I’m ready!
DD2 should work. It’s mapped basically the same as DD1 which I can test so I enabled it.

You need main MiSTer nightly, PSX nightly, and the kernel Sorg posted in the GitHub thread.

Pedals must be plugged into base.
kingcar

Unread post by kingcar »

Hope Thrusmaster Wheels will get the treatment too. :D
Got a T300RS with a 3 Pedal set, which I tried out but the pedals are not mapped right and I don't know how to setup correctly. :/
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

No love for the Saturn wheel? 😄
kingcar

Unread post by kingcar »

Coolbho3k wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:46 am So, I got my wheel working as a proof of concept in the PSX core: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTh8pJ7a_Vk

Hey,

I had the opportunity to get myself an CSL Elite Setup. Now I wanted to give it a shot with Mister Core.
Are the drivers already implemented in the regular Update files one would do on mister, or do I have to copy the code manually in to the mister?
kingcar

Unread post by kingcar »

Having trouble setting up my Fanatec setup. Maybe you can give me some info on how to set it up in the mister?
I mean the Analog Setup.

I'm getting continous inputs on the D-Pad, to the left.
See Video I uploaded.

Using a CSL Elite Wheelbase (Ps4)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GnMDEuNuWY

Using the Kernel from Atrac's Patreon post here, which has your diver incorporated
https://www.patreon.com/posts/logitech-wheel-69857028
zezretro

Unread post by zezretro »

I tested the Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 Italia Xbox 360 wheel on the mister and it was close but didn't work. All the buttons, steering and pedals work but in game there are phantom button presses and Gran Turismo on PS1 was unplayable
jordi

Unread post by jordi »

How do I could know which ones are supported? I do have a Thurstmaster (a bit old one) with this INI file information and mappings:
https://pastebin.com/pA6fVwD7

Which in summary is:

[Strings]
PROVIDER= "Immersion Corporation"
MANUFACTURER= "Thrustmaster"
PRODUCT= "Thrustmaster Force Feedback Wheel"
PRODUCT_USB= "Thrustmaster Force Feedback Wheel (USB)"
KEY_OEMTYPE= "_VID_044F&PID_B600"
DISKNAME= "Thrustmaster Force Feedback Wheel Driver Disk"
LANGUAGE_DLL= "imm_enu.dll"
VENDOR_BMP= "gimw3.bmp"
TECHSUPP_DESC= "Please contact Thrustmaster for questions about this device:"
TECHSUPP_LINK= "http://www.thrustmaster.com"
TECHSUPP_DISP= "www.thrustmaster.com"
LICENSEE_DESC= "For more information about products from Thrustmaster, please visit our web site."
LICENSEE_LINK= "http://www.thrustmaster.com"
LICENSEE_DISP= "www.thrustmaster.com"
IFR_NAME= "immwheel"
ClassName= "Sound, video and game controllers"
KEY_OEM= "system\currentcontrolset\control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM"
KEY_DRIVERS= "Software\Immersion Corporation\Drivers"
CLSID_DRIVER= "{E49863A0-9192-11D1-BF85-00609760A39F}"
CLSID_CPL= "{E49863A8-9192-11D1-BF85-00609760A39F}"
CLSID_IMMPID= "{E49863B0-9192-11D1-BF85-00609760A39F}"

By the patreon post I could not guess. I suppose that it doesn't.
M.Walrus

Unread post by M.Walrus »

I've used the Thrustmaster T300RS with three pedals set (T3PA) with great results on MiSTer. Configuration takes some fiddling but with the latest update to linux the gas pedal is no longer defaulted to the brake as it was before.

I added further notes about using this wheel along with links to helpful hardware combination key switches and input maps for specific stuff in this post in the other wheel thread: viewtopic.php?p=66567#p66567