Tomy Tutor / Pyuta / PyutaJr

Flandango
Core Developer

Tomy Tutor / Pyuta / PyutaJr

Unread post by Flandango »

I've been working on a Tomy Tutor/Pyuta core and figured it's far along that I could start sharing with those who may be interested in it.
It's still a very early beta/work in progress core so there will be bugs such as graphic glitches and crashes.
CPU still doesn't have properly working DIVS/MYPS instructions so Games that rely on them will not behave correctly or even work at all (currently seem to be the 32k Roms, Resecue 3D, Baseball and Battle Fighter).
I'm currently utilizing F18A for video because it's easier for me to know if it's the cpu that's not working or the video. May change in the future and for release.
CPU code is based on Paul Ruiz's TMS99000. Once I properly implement the missing instruction set and get the core to a respectable point, I'll clean up the code and make a proper git repo for it.
If you want to try it out, it's attached below...just provide the System Roms and any Cartridge Roms you want to try out.

- Currently keyboard mapping follows the original Tutor/Pyuta keyboard layout as much as possible. Will look into adding a more natural/modern keyboard mapping as an option in the future. See Keyboard Layouts below. If core ever gets released, a better Help/Cheat sheet will be created.
The following "Special" keys are mapped as follows:
  • MOD Key = ESC
  • MON Key = F1
  • * SL = Joystick Button 1
  • * SR = Joystick Button 2
  • ** Pallet = P
  • ** Color Select Left = ,
  • ** Color Select Right = .
*For Games that ask you to press SL for Ama(ture) or SR for Pro.
**PyutaJr only

- For system and Cartridge roms, you can get them from Mame.
Store System Roms with a .rom extension and Cartridge Roms with a .bin extension in games/TomyTutor.
For Tutor extract tutor.zip and combine tutor1.bin and tutor2.bin together into Tutor.rom (name it whatever you want, as long as it has a .rom extension)

Code: Select all

(win/dos)      copy /b tutor1.bin + /b tutor2.bin Tutor.rom
(linux/mister) cat tutor1.bin tutor2.bin > Tutor.rom
For Pyuta, extract pyuuta.zip and rename tomy29.7 to something like Pyuta.rom
For PyutaJr, extract pyuutajr.zip and either keep the name of ipl.rom or rename it to something more suitable.
TomyTutor.png
TomyTutor.png (816.72 KiB) Viewed 8353 times
TomyPyuta.png
TomyPyuta.png (691.3 KiB) Viewed 8353 times
TomyPyutaJr.png
TomyPyutaJr.png (592.96 KiB) Viewed 8353 times
Attachments
tutor-beta_20220404.zip
(974.91 KiB) Downloaded 299 times
jedimatt42

Re: Tomy Tutor / Pyuta / PyutaJr

Unread post by jedimatt42 »

I actually run an F18A in my Tomy Tutor, so my preference would be to keep it optional... The F18A is locked in 9918 mode until some exotic sequence of activity occurs, so if the jumpers like the sprite limit is also left in 9918 modes it should be very compatible. Someday I want to write F18A software for the tutor...
tontonkaloun

Unread post by tontonkaloun »

I didn't know this computer at all and it is always a pleasure to discover new ones.
The MiSTer is wonderful for that.
Many thanks
EeDee

Unread post by EeDee »

Thanks @Flandango, always nice to see and try out a new core, or should that be old computer? :-)
annette

Unread post by annette »

Thank you so much for posting, new computer cores are so much fun to try out.
alanswx
Core Developer

Unread post by alanswx »

Fun core!! thank you
wark91
Core Developer

Unread post by wark91 »

thank you !
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alkadian »

@Flandango,

I would love yo try out your core. I have downloaded the .zip file. It seems to contain only the .rbf file.

Thanks

EDIT: Sorry I had missed the main bit about Mame, all working! Very nice indeed! :)
tmop

Unread post by tmop »

You can download my MegaPack with all the available BIOS, Games & Homebrews to use with this new core! There are also some manuals for games, BASIC, etc. An Excel file is included in which, for each game/homebrew, there are the tests results and some additional information.

If you have some carts/homebrews not in the pack, but in the list, please share, so they can be included in the next pack.

Have fun! :-)

The pack is available on AtariAge forum: https://atariage.com/forums/topic/33544 ... -and-mame/
Alkadian
Top Contributor

tmop wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:29 am You can download my MegaPack with all the available BIOS, Games & Homebrews to use with this new core! There are also some manuals for games, BASIC, etc. An Excel file is included in which, for each game/homebrew, there are the tests results and some additional information.

If you have some carts/homebrews not in the pack, but in the list, please share, so they can be included in the next pack.

The pack is available on AtariAge forum: https://atariage.com/forums/topic/33544 ... -and-mame/
Many thanks for sharing!
Alkadian
Top Contributor

tmop wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:29 am You can download my MegaPack with all the available BIOS, Games & Homebrews to use with this new core! There are also some manuals for games, BASIC, etc. An Excel file is included in which, for each game/homebrew, there are the tests results and some additional information.

I have tried to download the pack but I have got this notification:

"This attachment is not available. It may have been removed or the person who shared it may not have permission to share it to this location.@

Thanks!
tmop

Unread post by tmop »

Alkadian wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:14 am

"This attachment is not available. It may have been removed or the person who shared it may not have permission to share it to this location.@

Thanks!
Ok, I've tested again. It seems that it's now necessary to be registered on AA to download it. I'll try to ask if it's possible to host in on the TI99 Italian site. Sorry,
Alkadian
Top Contributor

tmop wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:29 am Ok, I've tested again. It seems that it's now necessary to be registered on AA to download it. I'll try to ask if it's possible to host in on the TI99 Italian site. Sorry,
Cool thanks!
Flandango
Core Developer

Here is my latest build of the Tutor core.
Made some cpu fixes that should reduce some of the graphics glitches and crashing.
Added initial support for reading in tapes via ADC. Plan for the future is to also read/write tape files.
Attachments
tutor-beta_20220706.7z
(943.31 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
EeDee

Unread post by EeDee »

Thanks @flandango. I was playing around with the Tutor yesterday and wondered when the next instalment would be :)

EeDee

Unread post by EeDee »

tmop wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:36 am

Thanks!
Ok, I've tested again. It seems that it's now necessary to be registered on AA to download it. I'll try to ask if it's possible to host in on the TI99 Italian site. Sorry,
Hi @tmop, Is MegaPack available somewhere?
tmop

Unread post by tmop »

EeDee wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:25 am
tmop wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:36 am

Thanks!
Hi @tmop, Is MegaPack available somewhere?
It's available on the AA link indicated above (you now need an account to be able to download the zip). Unfortunately, it not yet available on TI99IUC site.
EeDee

Unread post by EeDee »

Okay, thanks
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

congrats on the release!
birdybro~
owlnonymous

Unread post by owlnonymous »

Cool release! Thanks!
Swainy

Unread post by Swainy »

Looks great although it wouldn’t display on my CRT.
EeDee

Unread post by EeDee »

Nice one!
Thank you
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

In order to combine tutor1.bin with tutor2.bin from the MAME .zip using Windows (so as to not get a condensed 16kb, useless bios rom), make sure you launch command prompt instead of PowerShell. Cd /D to the absolute path of the directory you're hosting the files, and then simply copy and enter:

copy /b tutor1.bin+tutor2.bin Tutor.rom
...exactly as shown (no spaces). The readme.md has got it wrong, for Windows at least.
Flandango
Core Developer

lamarax wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:28 pm In order to combine tutor1.bin with tutor2.bin from the MAME .zip using Windows (so as to not get a condensed 16kb, useless bios rom), make sure you launch command prompt instead of PowerShell. Cd /D to the absolute path of the directory you're hosting the files, and then simply copy and enter:

copy /b tutor1.bin+tutor2.bin Tutor.rom
...exactly as shown (no spaces). The readme.md has got it wrong, for Windows at least.
Correct, the copy command in the readme file is not for PowerShell, it's for Command Prompt but the way it's in the readme file,

copy /b tutor1.bin + /b tutor2.bin Tutor.rom
has always worked for me on multiple Windows 10 (and below) command prompt.
Out of curiosity, are you running Windows 11? As I don't have any machines with it so not sure if something has changed (after all these decades...but you know Microsoft).
tmop

Unread post by tmop »

Updated version of the MegaPack with the official core and some new homebrews available on AtariAge (you need an account to be able to download files):

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/33544 ... nt=5090871

With this new version of the core it seems that all the original games are now working fine. Thanks to @Flandango for the great work done!
EeDee

Unread post by EeDee »

tmop wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:03 am Updated version of the MegaPack with the official core and some new homebrews available on AtariAge (you need an account to be able to download files):

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/33544 ... nt=5090871

With this new version of the core it seems that all the original games are now working fine. Thanks to @Flandango for the great work done!
Thank you
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

tmop wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:03 am Updated version of the MegaPack with the official core and some new homebrews available on AtariAge (you need an account to be able to download files):
Couldn't you look into uploading it to archive.org?
Flandango
Core Developer

Here is a beta of Tutor with Vertical Cropping to get feedback on it from those who would like to crop off the top/bottom borders.
It's not 216p cropping though due to the 640x480 resolution. If the cropping is what is expected, then I'll keep it in and make it part of the next release.
Other changes are mostly behind the scenes like adding RAM expansion for games that need it (ex DoorDoor, Ti-Scramble) and a minor cpu fix that fixed some graphical glitches in DoorDoor.
Attachments
TomyTutor-Beta_20220726.7z
(1.06 MiB) Downloaded 157 times
EeDee

Unread post by EeDee »

Hi @Flandango, I like your Core though not sure I understand why the cropping effect on the Tutor. Is it an original display thing? If it adds to authenticity then I'm all for it. Nice to have the option of things as close to what they were back then if it is possible
Flandango
Core Developer

Hey EeDee. No it's not what it was like on the original but I have had a few requests to add the cropping like some other cores have it.
The Tutor, when you load games (or basic) has a black boarder around the game area so this option allows for it to be removed that way the game can fill the screen from top to bottom.
Of course, for those who wanted the cropping and it's not correct, let me know and if it's doable, I will correct it, if not (ex. must be 216p) then it's not going to be in the next release.