Looking for Low Latency DB9 (Atari) to USB for MiSTer

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
harhar666

Looking for Low Latency DB9 (Atari) to USB for MiSTer

Unread post by harhar666 »

Hi all,

I live in Europe and I'm looking for an affordable DB9 Atari to USB converter. I thought about buying a SNAC (which I have for all the rest of the controllers), but I read that the C64, Atari 2600, Amiga and ST cores don't do SNAC any more. So, as I still want to use my Suzo joysticks with the Mister, I'm looking for an 'ordinary' low lag controller.
I know of two good ones from North America, but by the time they arrive in Europe, it takes forever and gets quite expensive quite rapidly.
Of course, there are probably multiple options in Europe as well, but, eh, I haven't found any! (or quite slow ones).

Does anyone have a good tip for one fairly locally? (I live in the Netherlands).

Bye, Bas.
Oh, I do use SNACS with my Sega Megadrive and SNES controllers and PS3 and Madcatzz TE fightsticks (which are GREAT!).
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Re: Looking for Low Latency DB9 (Atari) to USB for MiSTer

Unread post by Chris23235 »

I have this one
https://monsterjoysticks.com/9-pin-joys ... sb-adapter

But as the UK is not member of the EU anymore expect custom fees.
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

DaemonBytes are fine for that. With mick being away you can get them here in Europe

https://ultimatemister.com/product-cate ... -adapters/
rickdangerous

Unread post by rickdangerous »

FPGA64 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:24 pm DaemonBytes are fine for that. With mick being away you can get them here in Europe

https://ultimatemister.com/product-cate ... -adapters/
Thank you for sharing.
The new Triple core or Dual Player DB9 are both good choices. All available for next day shipping.

New PCEngine Dual Player is also coming.

MiSTer and FPGA Gaming European Shop
Classic MiSTer, MultiSystem, JAMMIX iTX and Official Addons.
https://ultimatemister.com powered by RetroShop.pt

harhar666

Hi all,

Thank you for your suggestions! Normally, I would have gone for Monsterjoysticks. Good reviews and supporting the shop that supports RMC. Unfortunately , I learned from buying vinyl from the UK that it takes forever to get here and is VERY expensive now. Why Brexit happened is a complete mystery to me...

But the options from Ultimatemister look good too. I don't need SNES/NES and Sega, as I have SNACs for those.

So I guess I'm going to try the Deamon x2 player.

Thanks for your quick and solid replies!!

Bas.
peke

Unread post by peke »

does any of those work with paddles?
Chris23235
Top Contributor

peke wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:30 am does any of those work with paddles?
No.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

harhar666 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:27 pm Hi all,

Thank you for your suggestions! Normally, I would have gone for Monsterjoysticks. Good reviews and supporting the shop that supports RMC. Unfortunately , I learned from buying vinyl from the UK that it takes forever to get here and is VERY expensive now. Why Brexit happened is a complete mystery to me...

But the options from Ultimatemister look good too. I don't need SNES/NES and Sega, as I have SNACs for those.

So I guess I'm going to try the Deamon x2 player.

Thanks for your quick and solid replies!!

Bas.
If you have minimal soldering skills you can built your own Daemonbite adapter:
viewtopic.php?t=3614

I built one of these myself and it was easy, I am not very experienced with soldering things myself. The process of ordering the PCBs was fast and easy (about 1 week till I had them). This would be by far the cheapest solution.
harhar666

Ah fantastic, thanks! Fortunately I also understand German, so that's not really a problem. And soldering.. As long as it isn't SMD (never done that), I should be fine... I'm going to try it!
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

harhar666 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:27 pm Why Brexit happened is a complete mystery to me...
it's a mystery to 48% of the people who live in the UK too :(
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
harhar666

Hmm, perhaps more. The 2019 version was even more vague. And I don't really think the Brexit that happened was really what was advertised in either 2016 or 2019.. Anyway.. For me a real pitty, as I bought a LOT from the UK and went there frequently. I don't know whether things changed, but friends of mine were sent back home by the Home Office because 'they didn't adhere to the Covid standards of the UK' (which they actually did). And I read about people that were basically imprisoned for a couple of days on a similar 'offence'. That kind of scares me. So the trip I was planning to the UK (I really wanted to visit the Retro Man Cave and the Look Mum No Computer museum) might go somewhere else instead....
Stinky

Unread post by Stinky »

FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

peke wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:30 am does any of those work with paddles?
The 2600 Daptor D9 does. Although, I'm not sure if the Mister can use what it outputs.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

harhar666 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:11 am Ah fantastic, thanks! Fortunately I also understand German, so that's not really a problem. And soldering.. As long as it isn't SMD (never done that), I should be fine... I'm going to try it!
It was really easy and fun, if you built one of these look at the thread I linked earlier. I posted a small change to the arduino software there that disables the LED-flash whenever you move the joystick. I found this really distracting.
harhar666

Well, the Retronics and Stelladapter would probably have been my first choices, but as a stated in the beginning, it takes ages getting here and shipping is really expensive today, so that wasn't an option.

I'm going for the UltimateMister x2 version, but I'm also going to try to build one myself. I should be able to, so might indeed be FUN!
harhar666

Disabling the LED flash sounds like a great idea! I don't really know WHY you would want it in the first place. I would be interested in a design that also incorporates a rapid fire option. For games like Hybris, Battle Squadron, Katakis and the likes...
Chris23235 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:16 pm
harhar666 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:11 am Ah fantastic, thanks! Fortunately I also understand German, so that's not really a problem. And soldering.. As long as it isn't SMD (never done that), I should be fine... I'm going to try it!
It was really easy and fun, if you built one of these look at the thread I linked earlier. I posted a small change to the arduino software there that disables the LED-flash whenever you move the joystick. I found this really distracting.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

harhar666 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:56 am Disabling the LED flash sounds like a great idea! I don't really know WHY you would want it in the first place. I would be interested in a design that also incorporates a rapid fire option. For games like Hybris, Battle Squadron, Katakis and the likes...
Mister itself has an rapid fire option that can be finetuned in an extensive way, have a look at at.
harhar666

Really? I never found the rapidfire option anywhere really. I might not have looked in the right places. But do you know where it is on the C64 and Amiga cores?
Chris23235
Top Contributor

harhar666 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:37 am Really? I never found the rapidfire option anywhere really. I might not have looked in the right places. But do you know where it is on the C64 and Amiga cores?
Look here for details:
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... #auto-fire
emmonks

Unread post by emmonks »

I am using the Ajoy Adapter bought from E-bay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/174346372719) and it´s working perfectly (tested on C64 and Amiga cores). I will do more tests on other cores in the future.
Attachments
Adapter on action
Adapter on action
ajoy_working3.jpg (318.14 KiB) Viewed 2185 times
shertz

Unread post by shertz »

harhar666

Ah, I also use the one from Ultimatemister (Portugal). And it really is the closest to the real hardware regarding input lag.
For me personally, it's still too much, so I'm looking for a C64 and Amiga core that still supports SNAC (I still have one for DB9). But for any game that I'm not intimately familiar with, this device is perfect!
Funny thing: one port has a slightly lower lag than the other!