Sega 32X Core

aberu
Core Developer

Re: Sega 32X Core

Unread post by aberu »

The rewritten Genesis VDP that is in the 32X core fixes the Demons of Asteborg PSG bug and fixes the bug with the VDP Raster test rom as compared to original hardware. But it would probably require a lot of testing and reading through the code to determine if it can be ported without problems.
birdybro~
seastalker

Unread post by seastalker »

So far, this core is already amazing!!! I read others experienced the same surprise I did with Star Wars' super fast audio, and hilarious MK2 voices. Of course all bugs will get worked out in due time... One bug I have not seen reported yet:

For me, Virtual Racing Deluxe crashes - I selected 'Stock Car' and the 3rd or so race track (forget the name at the moment) - I raced for a few moments and the screen froze.

I'll have a blast testing the library. Does anyone else think that this core might one day find it's way onto either the Everdrive/MegaSD or as a standalone cart that could replace 'the mushroom'? Would love a cart (or built-in support) for my Analogue MegaSG. All this is WAY too early, I know, I just always think ahead with these things.
zorrobandito

Unread post by zorrobandito »

seastalker wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:48 am For me, Virtual Racing Deluxe crashes - I selected 'Stock Car' and the 3rd or so race track (forget the name at the moment) - I raced for a few moments and the screen froze.
I had the same crash.
zorrobandito

This is great! An unusual add-on for a system on its last legs. There are some unique versions of games worth trying here like Star Wars, Virtua Racing, Doom and Chaotix. Looking forward to spending some time with it.
lordoftime79

Unread post by lordoftime79 »

Amazing work! Found a couple of bugs - voice samples in mortal kombat 2 play too fast, and wwf wrestle mania has random crashes during matches.
rafael

Unread post by rafael »

Just a heads up to those unaware of the best way of reporting these bugs. Please submit them via GitHub for better trackability and avoid duplication.
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/S32X_MiSTer/issues

I am sure the developer would appreciate your gesture.
jacob.pederson

Unread post by jacob.pederson »

I'm having a lot of issues with ROM's defaulting to PAL mode that are labeled as USA/JAPAN. Anybody else getting this?
dyne

Unread post by dyne »

rafael wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:52 am Just a heads up to those unaware of the best way of reporting these bugs. Please submit them via GitHub for better trackability and avoid duplication.
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/S32X_MiSTer/issues

I am sure the developer would appreciate your gesture.
As a newer member here I appreciate this info *thumbsup*
16Bittt

Unread post by 16Bittt »

some games don't load at all :

BC Racers
Brutal Unleashed
Darxide

also Pitfall seems to be running at very slow frame rate

and a few other titles play a very high pitched noise
H6rdc0re

Unread post by H6rdc0re »

jacob.pederson wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:59 pm I'm having a lot of issues with ROM's defaulting to PAL mode that are labeled as USA/JAPAN. Anybody else getting this?
Use the auto region setting set to header and the right priority for you. In my case I prefer NTSC games so have it set to US>JP>EU. Should fix your problems.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

jacob.pederson wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:59 pm I'm having a lot of issues with ROM's defaulting to PAL mode that are labeled as USA/JAPAN. Anybody else getting this?
Which roms? I will test and see. It's best to add more information to your bug reports like this.

EDIT: I just checked all of the commercial library with header detection and my region priority set to US>JP>EU. Here are the results and the reasons:

Shadow Squadron ~ Stellar Assault (USA, Europe) boots to European region. (Header has E for the region, so the developers set it to the european region, you will have to set the region manually).
FIFA Soccer 96 (Europe) boots to US Region. (JUE region code, so just set your region priority)
Mortal Kombat II (Europe) boots to US region. (JUE region code, so just set your region priority)

So everything is working normally, this isn't a bug.
birdybro~
Chilli_Vibes

Unread post by Chilli_Vibes »

BC Racers
Brutal Unleashed
Darxide
These worked fine for me, except BC Racers has a corrupt map, at the top of the screen, when playing.
Also, Pitfall ran the same speed as original PAL hardware, can't comment on NTSC versions.
16Bittt

Unread post by 16Bittt »

Chilli_Vibes wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:19 pm
BC Racers
Brutal Unleashed
Darxide
These worked fine for me, except BC Racers has a corrupt map, at the top of the screen, when playing.
Also, Pitfall ran the same speed as original PAL hardware, can't comment on NTSC versions.
must be ROM compatibility issue then..but they work fine with emulators.I wish there was a reliable source for them.I've tried few different ROM sets and having different issues with each.I only get black screen with these 3 atm.
Chilli_Vibes

Unread post by Chilli_Vibes »

16Bittt wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:56 pm
BC Racers
Brutal Unleashed
Darxide
must be ROM compatibility issue then..but they work fine with emulators.I wish there was a reliable source for them.I've tried few different ROM sets and having different issues with each.I only get black screen with these 3 atm.
Could be rom compatibility. I am using roms from the "Hearto's 1g1r collection" - They're meant to be clean dumped roms, No bad dumps or hacks, no fixed or cracked roms.
nymous

Unread post by nymous »

Awesome news! We are currently missing just "Sega CD 32x" combo, and the platform is fully covered!
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

The clock fixes Kitrinx just pushed fixed sample playback issues in quite a few games. Tempo, Afterburner, Space Harrier all sounding great. Star Wars is still chipmunkville for some reason, but much of the library feels flawless now.
Deddrick

Unread post by Deddrick »

douglasamcintosh wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:30 pm I get nothing over hdmi, just comes up no signal?

Working now after an update_all!
having the same trouble, still there after update...what's wrong?
zorrobandito

zorrobandito wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:01 pm
seastalker wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:48 am For me, Virtual Racing Deluxe crashes - I selected 'Stock Car' and the 3rd or so race track (forget the name at the moment) - I raced for a few moments and the screen froze.
I had the same crash.
Fixed in latest update! :-)
sid

Unread post by sid »

Deddrick wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:25 am
douglasamcintosh wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:30 pm I get nothing over hdmi, just comes up no signal?

Working now after an update_all!
having the same trouble, still there after update...what's wrong?
i have the same problem..only 2 or 3 games can be started (e.g. Virtual Racing/Fighter wont come up). Could it be a problem of a bad roms set?
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alkadian »

Awesome, with the latest release of the core Virtual Racing Deluxe runs perfectly! Many thanks to to the DEV's!
16Bittt

Unread post by 16Bittt »

Chilli_Vibes wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:19 pm
16Bittt wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:56 pm

Could be rom compatibility. I am using roms from the "Hearto's 1g1r collection" - They're meant to be clean dumped roms, No bad dumps or hacks, no fixed or cracked roms.
Thanks for mentioning this collection,downloded them and they all work now.only issue is Pitfall still feels much lower frame than it should be and occasional graphical glitches appearing in it.these will hopefully improve when low pitch audio bug in MK2 etc is resolved.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

FYI, 32X no-intro set works impeccably with the core, and AFAIK that's the most freshly updated one out there :)
chopperthedog

Unread post by chopperthedog »

If you build your own rbf, Star Wars sounds great now.

Props to all involved.

good day.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

chopperthedog wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:11 pm If you build your own rbf, Star Wars sounds great now.
For those who aren't on the discord:
S32X_20220424.rbf
(4.02 MiB) Downloaded 187 times
~1 day of patience will get you that though, and probably better :)
Neo666

Unread post by Neo666 »

Pitfall only runs at 30FPS in-game on the 32x unfortunately, shame as it looks much better than the Mega Drive version
chopperthedog

Unread post by chopperthedog »

lamarax wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:33 pm For those who aren't on the discord:

Gotcha, yeah I'm not a discord person and roll my own when I have free time. Also wasn't sure on rules of posting stuff here.

good day.
vanfanel

Unread post by vanfanel »

lamarax wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:33 pm
chopperthedog wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:11 pm If you build your own rbf, Star Wars sounds great now.
For those who aren't on the discord:
S32X_20220424.rbf

Thanks a REAL lot! I was anxious for a new release with the fixed PWM audio... and here it is the fix! :lol:

Time to slash some imperial troops!
PistolsAtDawn

Unread post by PistolsAtDawn »

Neo666 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:14 pm Pitfall only runs at 30FPS in-game on the 32x unfortunately, shame as it looks much better than the Mega Drive version
I think it's an improvement over the SNES version as well.

Does anyone else get a crash and debug message in Spiderman? It happens frequently when you fall to your death. Just curious if maybe I have a bad dump.
ItalianGrandma

Unread post by ItalianGrandma »

PistolsAtDawn wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:07 am
Neo666 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:14 pm Pitfall only runs at 30FPS in-game on the 32x unfortunately, shame as it looks much better than the Mega Drive version
I think it's an improvement over the SNES version as well.

Does anyone else get a crash and debug message in Spiderman? It happens frequently when you fall to your death. Just curious if maybe I have a bad dump.
Yep, it happened to me as well. Someone else already reported the bug on Github.

I tried looking for an alternate rom, but wasn’t able to find any with a different CRC than the rom I already have.
Neo666

Unread post by Neo666 »

Has anyone else manged to get this Doom hack working on the core?

32X Resurrection: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6269/

The patched rom I have works fine in emulation, but I just get a black screen on the 32X core, tried manually setting region but no luck